Tips on cleaning my bike.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax06

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be cleaning my 06 tommorrow. Ive only had it for a couple of months and my cleanings so far have been just quick ones with the garden hose and drying it off as best I could. So it looks alright, but tommorrow I'd like to get a good deep cleaning done on it. I was wondering if you guys had any tips to share with me on how you detail your Vmax? I have a lot of expierence detailing cars but I've never done a street bike. Thanks.

Turtle Wax "Ice" is a great spray-and-wipe wax. Super easy and the shine lasts a long time. A little goes a long way too.

Popping the airbox lid lets you get around the scoops better.

For nooks 'n crannies, I use a clean rag soaked in 1 part Purple Power to 3 parts water, but wringed out. Then a clean paper towel to dry. I'm cheap, and I find paper towels work fine. If you want to be all pro, get a microfiber cloth. Whatever. You can fold an edge of the rag over and work it into tight places pretty well. I love purple power, you get a gallon of concentrate for like $4 at wally world and that will last a long long time. Plus it works really well, equal or better than some of the specialty degreaser sprays that are like $5 for one small can.

For heavy cleaning around the motor and general griminess that adds up down there, spray purple power full strength, wait a bit, then scrub a bit. It'll then wipe right off.

TBH I never give my bike more than a quick wipe down when it's looking dingy. I ride it too much, and I can't see the point in spending hours detailing something when it's going to get bugs and road grime all over it the next time I go out anyway. When you spend more time cleaning than riding you better check that there isn't a HD badge on your tank.

Hey guys, I'm going to be cleaning my 06 tommorrow. Ive only had it for a couple of months and my cleanings so far have been just quick ones with the garden hose and drying it off as best I could. So it looks alright, but tommorrow I'd like to get a good deep cleaning done on it. I was wondering if you guys had any tips to share with me on how you detail your Vmax? I have a lot of expierence detailing cars but I've never done a street bike. Thanks.
The only reason to turn a hose on your Max is if it's really filthy=Gobs of mud & alike.Other wise if it's just road grime, break dust,water spots & bird shit.There's lots of great chemical products to clean & protect the surface of your bike without water.Ive never let my Max get dirty enough to use a bucket of soap & water.The 2 products I use are ProtectAll & SC1 Clear Coat by Maxmia.Spray on wipe off.It's up to u how much time u wanna spend on detailing. Soft clean microfiber towls,tooth brushes & Q tips work well for really deep cleaning......Rusty

Last edited:
If you're really anual and want to get the tight corners, a Q-tip and WD 40 chased with a dry Q-tip works wonders.

i personally wouldnt use wd 40 to clean my bike haha, what i found works best is the armor all wipes. they clean, pick up everything, dont leave anything behind and they turn anything fading, like your switches, back to their original color. i use em on paint first then to get bugs off and finally to clean the wheels. theyre the most convenient thing ive found and they work the best. cheap too, they work way better than back to black and pig spit. theyre just a perfect 1 stop shop.

for example, pop your hood. is your air box dull blackish gray, with dust all over it? WIPE... BOOM... dust and dirt is gone, the plastic is black and shiny like it just rolled out of the factory

they also clean the mirrors well if you chase them with a microfiber cloth. they shine up the engine and frame like you wouldnt believe!

and for chrome just use never dull fine grade steel wool, then chase it with a microfiber cloth. if u use harsh steel wool, it will shred your chrome right off. dont ask how i know this. the kind you want almost feels and looks like cotton candy

oh pick up a 20 pack of microfiber cloths the next time youre at walmart/autozone/whatever

give it a good wash once and then don't let it get dirty enough for a hose wash again! I've never washed my max, I polish it once a week and wax it every week as well. Looks awesome to me!

That Honda cleaner/polish was great stuff.Don't know about other states, but the EPA in California took it away from us. :tantrum:

hmm it must be good...

but for real dont use water on ur bike unless its a last resort. and even then id try to find another resort.

That Honda cleaner/polish was great stuff.Don't know about other states, but the EPA in California took it away from us. :tantrum:

The company that made it for Honda now markets it directly also. It is called "Original Bike Spirits" made by Amrep. Great stuff!!!

TIP# 1 ... Keep water away from the electrical as much as possible.

TIP# 2 ... I use my high powered leaf blower to dry the bike, works great!

TIP# 3 ... I use Turtle wax mist/detail spray.

TIP3 4 ... I use Wesley's bleach white to clean my tires. Yes I clean my tires.

TIP# 5 ... Use clean soft towels for buffing.

TIP# 6 ... Do not attempt any steps above without ice cold beer on hand!

Honda (or whatever they call it now) spray IS the bomb. Ive used it for years, about two cans a year do me at $6 or so a can. If used religiously it cleans the bugs and grime easier and repels the dust. Good on everything.

Back