Tire age

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1929fordtudor

Reaction score
I purchased a 2012 with less than 2,000 miles. The tires of course look like new, but I’m wondering if due to age I should replace them. They don’t have any cracking and it’s lived in a garage. Going to Colorado with some guys in July and wondering if I’m pushing my luck due to age or if they should be fine. Original battleaxes.

Probably fine. I'm assuming the bike was stored inside and not out in the elements. If not the previous owner should be flogged. :)

Probably fine. I'm assuming the bike was stored inside and not out in the elements. If not the previous owner should be flogged. :)

Lol! You’ve got that right! It was absolutely garaged and is in perfect condition. Has a cat delete and PCV. The PO injured his back and couldn’t ride anymore but was hopeful. He really loved the bike but realized it wasn’t going to happen and put it up for sale. I was able to get it for $8500.

Lol! You’ve got that right! It was absolutely garaged and is in perfect condition. Has a cat delete and PCV. The PO injured his back and couldn’t ride anymore but was hopeful. He really loved the bike but realized it wasn’t going to happen and put it up for sale. I was able to get it for $8500.

Well, that's a great deal! Congratulations.

Enjoy and ride it in good health. You're going to love the bike.

I purchased a 2012 with less than 2,000 miles. The tires of course look like new, but I’m wondering if due to age I should replace them. They don’t have any cracking and it’s lived in a garage. Going to Colorado with some guys in July and wondering if I’m pushing my luck due to age or if they should be fine. Original battleaxes.

My Discount Tire Rep that I have been going through for my Auto Tires for the past 6 years told me that the company: Discount Tires, wont work on a tire that is Older than 7 years old, their rule is to Replace after 7 years old.

Then he told me that the Tire "Manufacturers" have a rule of "10 years". Tire Manufacturers say to replace after the 10th year of age that a tire is Not Safe to drive on after it is 10 years old.

There is a Born On Date on the side of Every Tire, we just need to know how to find it.

UV would be the number one thing to age and dry out a tire. If they weren’t exposed to the elements and there’s no signs of hairline cracking give it a go. If after putting strain on them (riding) and there’s still no sign of cracking you’re in the clear.

UV would be the number one thing to age and dry out a tire. If they weren’t exposed to the elements and there’s no signs of hairline cracking give it a go. If after putting strain on them (riding) and there’s still no sign of cracking you’re in the clear.

The "rule of thumb" is 6 &10. 10 years if stored in a controlled environment and 6 years if they are in service.

Your tires I would think fall somewhere in the middle.....they were hardly in service at such low mileage.

The "rule of thumb" is 6 &10. 10 years if stored in a controlled environment and 6 years if they are in service.

Your tires I would think fall somewhere in the middle.....they were hardly in service at such low mileage.

Thanks for all the great info. The manufacture date is 2012 which means they are original to the bike. It was always garage kept and no signs of cracking. I will see how many miles I can get on them before the trip and assess them then. I’ll put a little “strain” :D on them and see

For the record, I'm at the not-so-anal end of the risk spectrum.

I just wanted to note the rubber gets harder with age, so there is some compromise in tire grip even if the tires show no signs of cracking.

I don't think 2012 is unreasonable at all.

However, I am swapping tires on a 'new-to-me' bike that have almost no miles on them, but they are from 2004 timeframe. I might have been tempted to use them for a while, but I needed to go through everything on the bike anyway, and while the wheels are off already....

I just received my 2017 Vmax back from the Dealership for Lot Damage Repairs. I took pictures of the Front and Rear tire Manufacture Dates. (attached) These tires were approximately 1 year old when installed on this bike, at the Factory in Japan.

Edit: I forgot that this bike has a 10/16 build date.

Attachments

• front 2.jpg
    front 2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 14
  • rear 2.jpg
    rear 2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Maybe you know the manufacture date of your bike, but I wonder if motorcycle model years are timed like car model years.

The car makers typically start the model year in July of the previous year. For example, 17MY cars would normally start production in July of 2016. Of course there are plenty of exceptions.

-Mike

I just received my 2017 Vmax back from the Dealership for Lot Damage Repairs. I took pictures of the Front and Rear tire Manufacture Dates. (attached) These tires were approximately 1 year old when installed on this bike, at the Factory in Japan.

Edit: I forgot that this bike has a 10/16 build date.
That is the date & tire life is 8 yrs. max from that date no matter how good the tire looks.

If it was up to me I would buy new tire's front and rear and before i changed the tires i would get good at destroying the rear tire. But that's just me. I always put new tire's on any used bike that i buy because at 150mph its just a good feeling to know you got new rubber. And it's so much fun destroying tire's and doing second gear burnouts. also you get good at launching your bike for the dragstrip. I took marks advice on tire's for my 2012 vmax with a 240 on the rear and i am very pleased with the outcome Thanks again Mark.

Back