Tire Choices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackd

Reaction score
I have searched and read, but I still need advice. I am going to have to put tires on the '86 Vmax I rescued. It has been sitting up for about 6 years and the dry rot is showing up strong after a little riding.
It currently has the Dunlop K525/F20 tires in the stock sizes. I am pretty sure I am going with the Shinko 230 Tourmasters. For the price, they seem to offer exceptional performance according to you guys.
I only seem to have about 1/4" or less between the tire and the left swing arm. I know the 170/80-15 Shinko normally fits with no washer swap, but I am not sure it will on mine. Does mounting it on the 3.5" rim pull it in enough to fit? I am considering going with stock sizes so I don't have to move the washer. I like the rear tire centered as it is now.
According to the specs I have found, the 150 dunlop is 6.26" wide, the 150 shinko is 5.91", and the 170 shinko is 6.69". Both of the 150's are mounted on 3.5" rim and the 170 is on a 4" rim.
What are your opinions and advice?
Thanks

Just made a better measurement. I have 3/16" between the tire and LH swing arm. Sorry, I originally posted as three eighths.

Well I have an 07...I mounted a 170/80 and have MORE room than I did with the stock dunlop 150/90. If you look at the dunlop it is a raised white letter tire, and the lettering TAKES up extra space...so the tire looks closer to the swing arm. Even IF you have to do the washer swap (which I SERIOUSLY dont think that you will) you have everything off anyways to remount the tire and rim.

Also, would you suggest the 120/90-18 front tire if I upgrade the rear to a 170?

Also, would you suggest the 120/90-18 front tire if I upgrade the rear to a 170?

Some guys run the larger sizes, but my personal opinion (and that's all it is) is the larger size tires increase your rotating mass, if your bike is prone to wobbles the larger tires could create one or make an existing one worse.

Some guys run the larger sizes, but my personal opinion (and that's all it is) is the larger size tires increase your rotating mass, if your bike is prone to wobbles the larger tires could create one or make an existing one worse.

You know...I hadnt ever thought about that....at one time I was considering upgrading to the 120...but stuck with the 110 to keep the speedo correct. Thats one thing that I love about this forum...lots of good advice!!!

I agree. I don't seem to have that problem, but only hit 125 twice in quick bursts. More rotating mass robs power as well. Do you run a larger rear tire?

I glanced at it, but the Shinkos get such good reviews. What's you opinion of them?

For the money they are a good value. And they're a sticky tire. There have been some balance issues, but I think careful location of the alignment marks is the solution. They don't last as long as Meltzer?s, and the Metzler 880 is a better choice IMHO. It seems that I'd make it into 1/2 of the second season with Shinko's, and then need to change. The 120 front is pushing it on stock wheel width. It's been done though.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Going to the smaller tire I have to agree Dann-o. In fact I like the even smaller 110/80/18 and 180/55/17 very much. The ride and handeling are great due to size, though I know I'm comparing radials to bias.
Steve-o

I agree. I don't seem to have that problem, but only hit 125 twice in quick bursts. More rotating mass robs power as well. Do you run a larger rear tire?

I used to run a 170 rear tire but the last set I bought were Dunlop Qualifiers RWL in OEM size and I love them....plan on sticking with that size from now on, either the Dunlops or Metzlers, I had too many balance issues with Shinkos and the Avons are like driving on wet leaves IMO.

I used to run a 170 rear tire but the last set I bought were Dunlop Qualifiers RWL in OEM size and I love them....plan on sticking with that size from now on, either the Dunlops or Metzlers, I had too many balance issues with Shinkos and the Avons are like driving on wet leaves IMO.

My original plan was to go back with the OEM Dunlop Qualifiers. Maybe I should stick to that! I am trying to balance price and function as there are a few other things I need/want to do to the bike. I got a smokin' deal on the bike, but don't want to go overboard. I don't ride as aggressively as I did now that I've hit 44 this year!
Do the Qualifiers handle as well as the Shinkos?
What the scoop on the Bridgestone G526?

My original plan was to go back with the OEM Dunlop Qualifiers. Maybe I should stick to that! I am trying to balance price and function as there are a few other things I need/want to do to the bike. I got a smokin' deal on the bike, but don't want to go overboard. I don't ride as aggressively as I did now that I've hit 44 this year!

I don't have any experience with the Bridgestones. This is the first set of Qualifiers I've gotten, having always had Shinko's or Metz's....but I really like them. Can't be sure it's all because of the tires because the bike has progressive springs (newly rebuilt) and shocks but it handles beautifully and is one of the easiest driving Max's I've ever had.

I'd have to place it in the same category with my '99 which had a bunch of suspension goodies and 17" radial Metzler Z6's.

I used the Dunlop Qualifiers and the Bridgestone Exedra's once each.
Both those were way too hard for my riding style.
There is NO comparison between the grip of a Shinko TM 230 and those OEM tires.
They would slip out while cornering way too easily for my liking.
And I really didn't like hitting that Edge they have when leaned over, they would actually skip my rear end across the road.
That's pretty damn scary when doing 60-70 MPH through a curve.
I personally would Never use either of those again.
But if you want to do Burnouts and Only ride in straight lines, I'm sure they'd be fine.

The Shinko TM 230's 150/90-15 fit my riding style perfectly but I use the Stock size because I tried a 170 once and just wasn't happy with the feel of it.
I mainly ride twisty back roads.
It has a much more round aspect and it sticks to the road like glue at any speed and angle.
I've used the Shinko TM230 150/90-15 for my last 3 rear tires and Never had any issues with balancing them.

I actually bought a Bridgestone Exedra Max 150/90-15 (also a fairly Round tire) to try out this year,
I'm hoping it will be at least somewhat sticky and last a bit longer than the 4500-5000 miles I get out of the Shinko's.

PS
I always run a Good Sport Touring tire up front (110/90-18), a Metzeler Lasertech last time and a Bridgestone Batlaxx BT-45V this time.
They respond much better in the twistys than the Shinko or OEM Front tires.
I am equally happy with either of these s front tires.

I used the Dunlop Qualifiers and the Bridgestone Ecxedra's once each.
Both those were way too hard for my riding style.
There is NO comparison between the grip of a Shinko TM 230 and those OEM tires.
They would slip out while cornering way too easily for my liking.
I really didn't like hitting that Edge they have when leaned over, they would actually skip across the road.
That's pretty damn scary when doing 60-70 MPH through a curve.
I personally would Never use either of those again.
But if you want to do Burnouts and Only ride in straight lines, I'm sure they'd be fine.

The Shinko TM 230's fit my riding style perfectly but I use the Stock size because I tried a 170 once and just wasn't happy with the feel of it.
I mainly ride twisty back roads.
It has a much more round aspect and it sticks to the road like glue at any speed and angle.

Sounds a lot like my riding style and the feel I was getting from the Qualifiers, but I thought maybe they were just that way because of the dry rot. I think I am going to give the Shinko's a try in the stock sizes. It seems the stock sizes are better for "all-around" riding with all stock suspension components. The Shinko's seem to be the least expensive that stick to the road. Do you have any balancing issues?

Sounds a lot like my riding style and the feel I was getting from the Qualifiers, but I thought maybe they were just that way because of the dry rot. I think I am going to give the Shinko's a try in the stock sizes. It seems the stock sizes are better for "all-around" riding with all stock suspension components. The Shinko's seem to be the least expensive that stick to the road. Do you have any balancing issues?
I edited my post above and answered that and added my opinion on front tires as well.

PS
Here's a VMax Bias Tire Excel Speadsheet I updated that lists info on all BIAS Tires that currently work with the Stock Rims on a Gen 1 VMax:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55030067/V-Max%20Tires.xlsx
If you don't have Excel you can use this to view it:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10

I edited my post above and answered that and added my opinion on front tires as well.

PS
Here's a VMax Bias Tire Excel Speadsheet I updated that lists info on all BIAS Tires that currently work with the Stock Rims on a Gen 1 VMax:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55030067/V-Max%20Tires.xlsx
If you don't have Excel you can use this to view it:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10

Thank you for the information. That spreadsheet is where I got some of my information along with reading posts. I just found the Shinko 230's in OEM sizes for $144.98 with free shipping. Do you think I would be unhappy with the Shinko front tire? I'm thinking for that price it may be worth a try. If I mount them myself, are the Dyan Beads good for balancing or do I need to go to a shop?

as far as speedo i found my 120 TM made the speedo closer to accurate (based on highway mile markers) than a 110

Back