Tire makers recomendations - why ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbarrie

Reaction score
I was curious, so I just went to a few tire manufactures because I wanted to see what tire sizes they recommend for the Max.

They all seem go with nothing over a 150/90/15 rear 110/90/18 front - stock sizes. Is this because Yamaha uses these sizes as stock ? OR is this because they have tested and found that these sizes is what is best or safest for the bike ?

The bike is rock steady now ( on dry ) with stock sizes, should it only get better from here ??? if I go with a 170 and a 120

And has anyone gone with a lower profile than an 90 - I know some ride comfort will suffer a little over the bumps but I like the lower ratio. Do you find it handled any better or worse ?

Sorry, but I'm just tring to figure all this tire shit out...before I spend the money then learn the hard way....I'm still going with B-ply and I will try for a V rating if possible. Any advice or opinions will be appreciated for sure.

I have another question:

It seems when I take my hands off the bars the bike wants to fall to the left a little and was wondering why ? Was it the bike or was it me just .... hmmmm ?
I was also interested knowing something was off, so I measured a rough estimate with a ruler that I have about 27mm of space between the side wall and the brake caliper brace arm but on the shaft side I only have about 15mm. As I stated before the bike does NOT wobble or shake at any speed. Is this narmal spacing or is the tire off set ? I never measured with calipers just a steel ruler and a rough line of sight. But even without measuring anyone can tell there is a difference, but as far as I know the front/rear alignment is good.

One of my buddies was asking as he was checking my tread on the back tire - all I could say was I guess so, it seem fine other than the slight lean thing happening. But I only noticed it when I took my hands off it - if I hadn't I probably would not have noticed it at all.

Thanks.

You can't gauge the centerline of the chassis by measuring off the swingarm. You need to measure it in relation to the front wheel. The stock rear wheel/tire is off center just a hair to begin with and doesn't hurt anything except for those going for 100% pure handling (which 99% of the riders don't need anyway).

The stock size tire does work well all around. Going shorter won't hurt too much but will raise your RPM's up a bit. The taller 170/80's do help a bit with that and give a larger footprint.

Sean

Latest posts

Back