Tires and rear end lowering

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard186

Reaction score
HI GUYS I am a newbie to the vmax, have been riding for 56 years. I need to know if there are radial tires available with the stock sizes. ON A different topic I need to find out if what is involved in raising back to stock a REAR end that has been lowered. bought my 02 a couple of months ago. I would really appreciate your feedback!

No rear radial available. You can run a front radial that's a bit shorter than stock.

Many guys on here will have a set of stock shocks available for cheap. That's all you'd need to get back to stock height.

Indeed no radials in stock sizes. If you want to go radials you new new wheels.

Any 13" decent rear shocks, OEM fitment or Progressive for example, will raise the rear back to its original height.

At the front however, a few things may have happened if the bike was lowered:
- the forks may have been slid up in the triple trees - easy to loosen, slide back down and re-tighten
- the spacers above the springs in the forks may have been cut shorter, if so you need to replace the spacers with stock length (any strong PVC tube of the appropriate diameter and thickness will do)
- a lowering kit may have been fitted to the forks. Has to be removed to raise back to OEM height.

Sandy Kosman of Kosman Specialties can modify your rear wheel to accept radials.

I just had him do mine and am anxious to get the bike back on the road as everyone says that making the move to radials is THE best way to improve the handling of the VMAX........

Also, you might consider a new swing-arm from UFO Performance Products and progressive front fork springs. The combination will greatly enhance the handling and ride.

Speaking of comfort, I found the standard seat to kill my butt after about 30 minutes......just received my new seat from Rick Poirier who makes the "MAXGASSER" seat, said to be one of the best changes for riding comfort.....

All together, I am hopeful that the bike will be transformed.......

Sandy Kosman of Kosman Specialties can modify your rear wheel to accept radials.

I just had him do mine and am anxious to get the bike back on the road as everyone says that making the move to radials is THE best way to improve the handling of the VMAX........

Also, you might consider a new swing-arm from UFO Performance Products and progressive front fork springs. The combination will greatly enhance the handling and ride.

Speaking of comfort, I found the standard seat to kill my butt after about 30 minutes......just received my new seat from Rick Poirier who makes the "MAXGASSER" seat, said to be one of the best changes for riding comfort.....

All together, I am hopeful that the bike will be transformed.......

Morleys Muscle, a vendor here, also does swingarms and progressive products!

Indeed we do. I think we're even quite a notch cheaper on the swingarm and some of the best progressive pricing.

Sean was who i got my progressive springs thru.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Sean built my swingarm (among many other items) and can provide with most anything you can bolt on a Vmax. Plus he provides great tech support and is a really nice guy to boot!

Latest posts

Back