Tires to old?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The caps for that TPS sit above the Schrader valve core, so even if they failed, flew off or were removed/stolen, you would not lose air pressure.

1639253177748.png

Yeah, for some weird reason I thought the valve had to be removed but that isn't the case.

Even if the cap flew off, the valve would close as it would no longer be pressed in by the cap.

I believe there is a date code on every bike, car and commercial vehicle tyres here that makes it easy to catch the commercials out of date. I also believe it’s just round the corner for every vehicle to be checked for out of date tyres in the UK.
There is a date code and I'm some what pissed off with the local dealer/bike shop. I made an appointment for front and rear. The resr to be installed. I was going to teach my boy and let him change the front. Well for the heck of it I searched the date code on the Uninstalled front. WOULD YOU BELIVE THE FRONT WAS MADE IN 2006 THE REAR IS.2009. IM PRETTY SURE IM GOING TO CALL THEM TOMORROW. WOULD YOU ASK FOR A REFUND OR ATLEAST SOME $$$ BACK?

WOULD YOU BELIVE THE FRONT WAS MADE IN 2006 THE REAR IS.2009. IM PRETTY SURE IM GOING TO CALL THEM TOMORROW. WOULD YOU ASK FOR A REFUND OR ATLEAST SOME $$$ BACK?
Full refund mate as rubber perishes over time, the time limit depends on storage conditions etc, but in reality could fall apart at any time. The supplier would be guessing if they said anything else but that. Its unknown territory for lifespan, but they are just far too old. Personally I would not accept anything over two years. The tyres you bought are less than worthless.

Full refund mate as rubber perishes over time, the time limit depends on storage conditions etc, but in reality could fall apart at any time. The supplier would be guessing if they said anything else but that. Its unknown territory for lifespan, but they are just far too old. Personally I would not accept anything over two years. The tyres you bought are less than worthless.

THIS. Tires dry out, lose elasticity, crack and harden as they age. That means less traction and heat and pressure will tear them up sooner. You should replace them after about 7 years or so. No way I would accept tires I bought new that were 3-4+ years old already let alone 10-15 years. I dont care how good they look. Your bike, your life YMMV

Rear tire seems to be even worse funny if I'm reading right. The back tire was made same year20220108_112929.jpg my boy was born and the front tire when my girl was born

7823 = 78 the 78th week in 2023?????

That can"t be correct.

Tyre Safety: 5 Year Rule

Tyres are considered to be “new” and fit for retail up to 5 years from the date of production.

This is an industry standard based on the German BRV.

When in use, it is recommended that tyres are replaced when they reach 7 - 10 years old, (6 years in the case of caravans or trailers).

How To Tell A Tyre's Age

On the sidewall you will find a tyre's ‘DOT code’. One of the key pieces of information that can be gained from this is the date the tyre was manufactured.

Since the year 2000, the date section of the code - the last digits - has been made up of 4 numbers.

The first two digits tell you the week number and the last two indicate the year the tyre was manufactured. In the example below the age code is '3909'. This means the tyre was made in the 39th week of the year 2009.

7823 = 78 the 78th week in 2023?????

That can"t be correct.

Tyre Safety: 5 Year Rule

Tyres are considered to be “new” and fit for retail up to 5 years from the date of production.

This is an industry standard based on the German BRV.

When in use, it is recommended that tyres are replaced when they reach 7 - 10 years old, (6 years in the case of caravans or trailers).

How To Tell A Tyre's Age

On the sidewall you will find a tyre's ‘DOT code’. One of the key pieces of information that can be gained from this is the date the tyre was manufactured.

Since the year 2000, the date section of the code - the last digits - has been made up of 4 numbers.

The first two digits tell you the week number and the last two indicate the year the tyre was manufactured. In the example below the age code is '3909'. This means the tyre was made in the 39th week of the year 2009.
Did you see the pictures? I'm not a tire guy I just wear them out. And I hat every time I get a new tire because they are all different for me. I can feel the difference. O have replace a tire that was well below the safe level of tree and been able to power the front tire up. And after changed for brand new tire Smoke it under the same conditions... and this one I can light up with a little effort at 40

Did you see the pictures?
Yes, the other photo had 7906.

How can that be correct as there are only 52 weeks in a year unless it's a leap year when there are 57... or is that the number of varieties?

There must be another numbering system involved.

I know Dunlop used that system years ago. I'm not sure if they still use it now (the two first numbers is month and second two is year).

Harley Davidson actually came up with that I think.

Again, since most tires aren't really using very much rubber content anymore, I'm not sure if those numbers mean anything at all anymore other than maybe a mold number or a lot number that can be traced if need be.

Yes, the other photo had 7906.

How can that be correct as there are only 52 weeks in a year unless it's a leap year when there are 57... or is that the number of varieties?

There must be another numbering system involved.
Yeah I thought the same thing. I have looked dunlap Date Codes a couple of different ways and it continues to point to the oblong 4 digit code. They are
170/80/15 dunlap.... that's all they could find there was No Shinko available that's what I had on it. This dunlap I can't figure out so I don't really trust it to hold on deep in a curve because try as I might No Power Wheelies and the HoleShot it'll kick out from under me every time. I know its winter and things are harder and dryer but it's to the extreme

My Dunlop Qualifiers had similar 4 digit stampings that would not make sense as a date code.

I found there was another stamping that had more digits, and the last for digits of the longer number made sense as the date code.

Unfortunately, the bike is at another location right now, so I can't provide a picture.

My Dunlop Qualifiers had similar 4 digit stampings that would not make sense as a date code.

I found there was another stamping that had more digits, and the last for digits of the longer number made sense as the date code.

Unfortunately, the bike is at another location right now, so I can't provide a picture.
Obviously different makes, and UK. But here are two types from my bikes. They are correct as it was me who had them fitted, even the 07.

Attachments

• 217871D8-E598-4C17-9E97-D6E1647BCB56.jpeg
    217871D8-E598-4C17-9E97-D6E1647BCB56.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 19
  • F6C710D7-FDE1-4BC6-9B4E-6F48CE0C5230.jpeg
    F6C710D7-FDE1-4BC6-9B4E-6F48CE0C5230.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back