Tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm running the stockers. I just bought my max last year and only have 2,000 miles on it. On my second rear, first blew out while I was out for a ride. Dealer actually had one in stock so I had it installed. Didn't feel like the Hassel of loading it back on the trailer in the rain, driving another hour home, unloading in the rain, just to do it all again for another tire, plus I'm not really sure what's out there so I'm gonna follow this thread. But I've heard good things on the shinko being sticky. Also the Metzler, but I've heard the shinko out performs the Metzler. And also mixed reviews. Gotta be more tire choices than 3.

Stock size, it's hard to beat the Shinko 011 Verge front and rear. I run the rear Shinko at about 30 PSI and have had very good results. It warms up quickly and hooks up well. If you can resist the urge to do too many burnouts, it also gives pretty good mileage, all at a good price. If running the 240 size rear I have switched to the Dunlop Q3. Its a dual compound and so far has been as good as the Shinko. For the front, the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II.

Not a Gen2 but on my '92 I run the Verge 011 front and rear on Carrozzerria wheels, 200/18 rear and 120/18 front. They have great grip and work pretty good in the wet as well. It has transformed the handling from stock into more like modern bike, well, at least a lot better than stock.

Running Metzler Interact radials on my 17" wheels. Z6's currently. I've run multiple sets of them and they are great all around rubber. When caught in the rain they excell, dry grip ditto. And the price is more than fair. I don't get the longevity some get, but Metzler's balance up nice without a ton of weights lineing the wheel. I use beads now, but check the tires without them first anyway.

Avon has a new tire out, Avon venom chrome. Only thing close to the gen 2 size is a 200/55 18............. Not sure if it would fit in the swing arm. V rating and a radial $220 and a bias ply at $211 on bike bandit. I liked the Avon's on my gen 1. Just didn't like the rain....... Well wet roads anyways. Cost about the same as the stock Bridgestones. They have a 240/40 18 V rating for $230 only in radial. Another possible tire choice for the second gen.

What pressure u running in the rear Shinto. I have the verge11 but does not hook up good off the line. Wants to spin bad. Great I corners

Around 30-32 lbs. higher pressures will definitely cause more spin. Thing is the bike is making around 100 lbs. of TQ at 4K rpm so there is really no tire that will be able to hook on most streets. How you sit on the bike makes a difference too...if you get your weight real forward it will light up the tire everytime. That's what I do if I'm trying to spin the tire on purpose. (you know like leaving a bike night parking lot ;) ) Just lean forward and crack the throttle.

I've tried most of the tires out there and the Shinko hooks the best and is good in the twisties. The stock Bridgestones are very good on a stock bike, but once you put a pipe and a tune on they will spin 1st-3rd gear, especially if they have some mileage on them.

Also a huge plus is that the Shinkos are inexpensive, so you can replace them more often and not go broke. I have a wide wheel now on my current bike, but on my first VMax with the stock wheel I would put new Shinkos on every year.

Around 30-32 lbs. higher pressures will definitely cause more spin. Thing is the bike is making around 100 lbs. of TQ at 4K rpm so there is really no tire that will be able to hook on most streets. How you sit on the bike makes a difference too...if you get your weight real forward it will light up the tire everytime. That's what I do if I'm trying to spin the tire on purpose. (you know like leaving a bike night parking lot ;) ) Just lean forward and crack the throttle.

I've tried most of the tires out there and the Shinko hooks the best and is good in the twisties. The stock Bridgestones are very good on a stock bike, but once you put a pipe and a tune on they will spin 1st-3rd gear, especially if they have some mileage on them.

Also a huge plus is that the Shinkos are inexpensive, so you can replace them more often and not go broke. I have a wide wheel now on my current bike, but on my first VMax with the stock wheel I would put new Shinkos on every year.
I was afraid if go to low in pressure would not handle good in turns. I a knee dragger. Lots of sport bikes. Older and wanted more upright position

Running Metzler Interact radials on my 17" wheels. Z6's currently. I've run multiple sets of them and they are great all around rubber. When caught in the rain they excell, dry grip ditto. And the price is more than fair. I don't get the longevity some get, but Metzler's balance up nice without a ton of weights lineing the wheel. I use beads now, but check the tires without them first anyway.
From where did you get your 17” wheels ?

From where did you get your 17” wheels ?
Right here on the forum. An older member sold me the rear at a fair price. Sean Morley found me a matching front at an even better price. Then they were powder coated and polished, new bearings. I couldn't be more pleased with them. They are almost as old as my bike, but they balance almost perfect without the tires on them. And spin true.

46694930-582F-4DED-8288-B5BC8C2EEA70.jpeg I’ve always used Metzeler ME880 but I think the newer version is ME888. I’m running the 240 width and it looks great!

It does...and it corrects some of the speedo error too.

Might just be my next tire. Had my rear replaced at 1,800 miles blew out on a ride. Carcass separated. Dealer said I ran something over, either way no warranty. But I've seen enough blown tires to know what carcass separation looks like. Just a fault in the tire manufacturing process. It was a 5o clock on Friday tire. Dealer had a stock Bridgestone in stock so I had them put it on, at a discount. Got mounting and labor free, just paid the price of the tire. Loading it in the rain, driving an hour, and unloading in the rain I wasnt about to load it back up with a blown tire just to bring it back home and do it again in the rain.

I currently have a stock rear (200 size) and stock front (130 size). But I picked up a wide wheel kit and it has the Metzler on it. Once I am able to put a new matching set, it will be Michelin 240 and 130. That is the combo that I had on my M109. They are nicely rounded and really take the curves nicely.

How are you guys finding the wear or tire life of the shinko vs a battleaxe? I run on lots of chipseal pavement and is hard on the tires besides the monster torque the bike has. And the 240.........how do they turn on the twisties?

Riding Dunlops both front and rear better handling than Bridgestone and almost twice the mileage. Its a win win since they are also cheaper than Bridgestones :)

Any try the Michelin Scorch 11. It comes in a 240 and I always liked Michelin’s. It looks pretty good.

Any try the Michelin Scorch 11. It comes in a 240 and I always liked Michelin’s. It looks pretty good.
According to most people that tried the 240 you loose a lot of handling compare to the 200 tire and I prefer handling before looks.

Back