To get this sound...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you need more cylinders to give the headers the orientation you'd need.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah... but if I could still get a nice, raspy, angry snarl out of it... would be sweet! Might need more RPM potential though to get it as close as possible. If I could get a bit warmer cams and heavier springs, as well as new rods, pistons and some stout bolts, I should be able to do it.

Sounds sweet indeed!

I don't think you'll ever get a Vmax to sound like that. Wrong engine architecture.

Ever hear a V6, no matter what the exhaust, that didn't sound like a V6?

I think you could get closer with straight pipes with just a baffle. Look up the cx500 cafe racer low and loud or something on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_kYy4BN28I Start about 4:10. Still won't really be right, but it makes me wonder what would happen on a V-max. I gotta agree with Rusty, though. Different number or cylinders and header configurations give you sounds. 180 degree V8 headers sound like Euro supercars (ferrari), while normal ones sound like Americans (vette).

Or you could hire this guy and just put a really great stereo on your bike...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m40ZAfJb4f8

I made a little spreadsheet which I believe follows the rules of these engine configurations. One crank revolution generates a pulse from each piston. My sheet gives you the Pulse/min for each engine configuration through the usable range of a V-max motor. There is no possibility of our motor creating the frequencies necessary to match the tones of a motor with three times as many cylinders. This is fairly useless info, potentially completely wrong, and needlessly over-analysed. However, I'm a musician, and have always been into the sounds that things make. The engine configuration argument is the reason a goldwing with the right pipes can sound like a Porsche 911 or an old Ferrari Dino, or an M3 (E36).

Ok, I just thought about the fact that every cylinder might not fire on every revolution, so that could really reduce the number of pulses, but the principle is the same (I think). I'll think better about it in the morning. I'm sure there are a bunch of guys that can tell you how many pulses/rev on the V-max.

Attachments

• RPM sheet.pdf
    21 KB · Views: 3
180 degree V8 headers sound like Euro supercars (ferrari), while normal ones sound like Americans (vette).
]

Awesome point as far as manipulating pulses with header config, especially regarding 180 degree headers on a V8.

I had a 1970 Trans am sporting a set of Herb Adams 180 degree headers and the sound was truly distinct and rather "un-American" like.

You better pack a lunch if you ever want to install a set of these on a V8 car. I don't know if anyone makes them any more. They were a HUGE pain in the ass.

There some you tube clips of the sound and its worth the time if your interested in this sort of stuff.
One great one in particular can be found using key words "180 degree corvette", should be a blue later model...

So I suppose I may be wrong in regards to being able to drastically change the sound with the right exhaust, but still will believe it when I see it for our little V4

The inline 6's and flat 6's are the closest you are gonna get. Buy a BMW 1600 or a CBX if that's what you want for an exhaust note.

I once borrowed a friend's CBX and came across FL's Tamiami Trail, racing a storm cell front on a CBX. I held it at 8000 rpm for about 15 minutes, and that was as-close to aural nirvana as I have ever been where I was the pilot. The only two exhausts I ever heard in-person that could rival a CBX were the BRM H-16 Formula 1, and the Honda 1.5 litre V-12.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZhLPeYAO-cs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unfortunately, the best clip is the last 10 seconds. :confused2:

That CX-500 actually sounded just about like my Shadow 750 I had. (It had baffled (unwrapped) Cobra Drag Pipes) When I brought her up to the 7k rev limit (Thank you Mr. Dyna 3000 lol) she really roared!

I have a few ideas I wanna look into. It does not have to sound exactly like a Lambo, but I do want that raspy, angry sound when I punch it. A lot of the pipe setups I have seen for the Max seem to give it more of that rumble, and are quite a bit louder than I want... Loud like a Harley, but no Harley I know of sounds like it is gonna eat you alive!

Hell... I'll figure something out. I'll get the Cobra Slash Cut look, free flowing (at least equal to stock anyways) and the sound I want.

Yeah....like everyone has said it will be tough getting that sound with out the extra cylinders.

I do remember the CBX sounding awesome with a header on it....although it's been so long since I heard one I can't really remember the sound. A Valk with the right pipe sounds cool too.

I enjoyed my VMax with this pipe/muffler combination.....while it lasted. Definitely did not sound like any other bike.......and it turned a lot of heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPeuRe5wLq8

My 1980 CBX had a Jardine 6 into two full system and sounded amazing. It helped mid range but hurt top end. My friend that weighed the same as I had a completely stock 80 and we raced many a time. I always pulled him thru the gears but after reaching top end (about 140) he would gradually catch up and pass. He had about 2 mph top end on me. Took a while for him to catch up though. Mine was stock jetting and might have done better with proper jetting.

Yeah....like everyone has said it will be tough getting that sound with out the extra cylinders.

I do remember the CBX sounding awesome with a header on it....although it's been so long since I heard one I can't really remember the sound. A Valk with the right pipe sounds cool too.

I enjoyed my VMax with this pipe/muffler combination.....while it lasted. Definitely did not sound like any other bike.......and it turned a lot of heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPeuRe5wLq8

Damnnnn! What set up is that?! I'm trying to get a gen2 next riding season and I would LOVE to have it sound like that... Straight up eargasm! :worthy:

I found this video, it's not a lambo but I think the CBX was a pretty good choice for that exhaust sound you wanted. Me personally, I just want to sound unique. Yeah, that v12 sound is killer but so is the max! I think you just need to switch around some pipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul334rw6ALk

Damnnnn! What set up is that?! I'm trying to get a gen2 next riding season and I would LOVE to have it sound like that... Straight up eargasm! :worthy:

That's an X-Pipe cat eliminator which is actually a 4-1-2 collector, and gutted stock exhaust cans. The problem is that the stock cans being made of thin titanium eventually developed some cracks.
It was fun while they lasted though!
Here is another more "close up" video. :biglaugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I1Bu-VwA8Y

Wow, I might have to try that Itgoes. The sound is just intoxicating, ahhhh. That MV Agusta doesn't sound too bad either!!! It must be a v4 thing, to have that sexy growl!

I went on a ride a few years ago and a coworker pulls up on a Max with a Supertrapps exhaust and I was bitten.My max I own now has a two brothers racing 4 into 1 exhaust and my bike sounds like a v8 hot rod and the sound turns heads.

Latest posts

Back