To gusset ,or NOT to gusset

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD

Reaction score
Good day people . I saw an insert on a different thread regarding gusseting your frame . ( cant pick up the thread )
Please Help with info regarding gussets in the frame , plenty info on swing-arm mods , but nothing ( yet) no the frame ,
Does it help and in what way ?
How many and where ?
Would really appreciate any suggestions with pictures please

Cheers

I've done it but as I also do other mods at the same time can't say how much difference it made.
If you have the frame or back end stripped out then it won't do any harm but IMO otherwise a fair bit of work for (possibly) little tangible benefit.

If you decide to go ahead the gusset should look like this:

gussets-1.JPG

...and this is where they go:

Swinging arm ussets_4.jpg

Don't recall who posted this originally. The bar between the s/ arm mounts is there to ensure that the welding doesn't distort the frame.

I've done it but as I also do other mods at the same time can't say how much difference it made.
If you have the frame or back end stripped out then it won't do any harm but IMO otherwise a fair bit of work for (possibly) little tangible benefit.

If you decide to go ahead the gusset should look like this:

View attachment 88226

...and this is where they go:

View attachment 88227

Don't recall who posted this originally. The bar between the s/ arm mounts is there to ensure that the welding doesn't distort the frame.
Fantastic!

Last edited:
Great thank you.
When I get the idea behind the mod ... then it can be worked out where to put them
This is to understand the twist in the frame . Twist because that is basicaly all a frame can do under strain . correct ?
Saw gussets on the front part of the frame aswell. Under oil-filter, on sides . Are they needed aswell ?

I don't profess to be a frame expert so I tend to ride on the back of those who have gone before.
You are correct that adding gussets will strengthen the area to which they are fixed. In theory this is a good idea but if you make one part too rigid there is the possibility that you will introduce stress elsewhere. Like many things in life it's a balancing act.

If my understanding is correct, frames need to have some flex but the unknown for most of us is where that should be.
I've no experience of adding gussets anywhere else so can't comment on what the effect would be.
If your aim is to improve handling then whilst gussets may help my suspicion is that it won't be by much.

Far better to spend your time (and money :() on improving the suspension, lighter wheels with modern rubber and solid mounts.
That will give you a machine that is able to go round corners far more competently than the average rider can take advantage of.

Back