To much fuel consumption

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX1260

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a trip 700 kilometres. I put fuel on my max and began.

Before i put 170 main jets on my carbs (with smaller jets had problems in high rpm) and 17 rear wheel i could travel about 190 kilometers before i switch to reserve. In this trip every time i put gas on my tank i couldnt reach over 143 kilometres with the main tank!!!!! At about 140 the red light of fuel comes on. Is something wrong ??? What should i check?

I was travelling about 140-170 kilometres per hour.

I once turned the throttle full way to see what is my high speed with the 17 rear wheel.
My digital speed wrote 231 kh/h in 8600-8700. My tacho couldnt go further than this rpm.
With a venture diff how many kilometres would i gain, i dint like at all the feel of speed with the 17 wheel.

Incorrect. Vmax gear ratio is 3.66 and Venture is 3.33 in the rear diff (10% change). That equates to 10% rpm change at any given rpm which also means about 10% fuel loss/gain

While it's true that the venture pumpkin gives a 10% reduction in revs (which worked out as very nearly 500rpm less for any given speed in 5th gear on my bike), I can't agree with the 10% gain in fuel consumption.

On my bike ('86), I found that the 500rpm reduction, even over highway miles exclusively, hardly had an effect on fuel consumption, mostly because there is no change in aerodynamics, but also because those 500rpm just allowed me to raise my comfortable cruising speed, negating the ratio advantage..

That was with OEM rear wheel and 170/80-15 tire, so I can't speak for a 17" wheel but my understanding is that a 17 with radial has a smaller circumference than OEM?

Ouch, I retract my previous statement..... park the bike, buy a horse. Grass is free, right? :D

It's a vmax. We don't ride them because they get great mileage.
if that was the case we would all be riding vespas.

dude's i know what a v-max is i own this bikes for more than 7 years. if you read my bike used to make in the highway about 190 kilometres before i switch to reserve. now with 17 wheel and 170 main jets i switch it at about 140. if wanted to ride a vespa i wouldn't own a v-max that costed me here in greece to build over 30.000 euros.w

Jets will have some effect but not as much as you'd think. Needle settings and carb sync will be bigger factors.

Sean

Incorrect. Vmax gear ratio is 3.66 and Venture is 3.33 in the rear diff (10% change). That equates to 10% rpm change at any given rpm which also means about 10% fuel loss/gain

Cant agree Sean. We are both right.
How?

I post total ratio which comes from middle drive gear ratio and final drive ratio.
You post final ratio only.

Yami service manual says about PRIMARY and SECONDARY reduction ratio.

First is crankshaft to clutch basket and its 1.775.

Second one called SECONDARY (middle drive gear * final drive).

Middle ratio: 0,777
Final ratio: 3,666

Secondary ratio: 0,777*3,666= 2,851.

Ouch, I retract my previous statement..... park the bike, buy a horse. Grass is free, right? :D
Go da hell :biglaugh:

Im paying about 5,5$ galon here :rofl_200:

I think you're suffering from the combination of both bigger jets and higher revs due to the 17" wheel. At the same speeds, your motor's working harder so it needs more juice..

In the US, $2.49 / gal = $0.657 / litre

At today's exchange rate, that's ?0.516 per litre, so less than 1/3 of the price you're paying in Greece.. Outrageous, eh?

If i baby mine, i get 130km before reserve. If i am all out, it is 80-90km then reserve. Will get it dyno tuned once i have the new exhaust, clutch set up and jet kit

I think you're suffering from the combination of both bigger jets and higher revs due to the 17" wheel. At the same speeds, your motor's working harder so it needs more juice..

+1 ....... right wrist usage / ratio increases as bike gets faster . :punk:

Latest posts

Back