Today I did some serious lane splitting with T-boost on

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
I scared myself today having the T-boost on at 3K and splitting lanes in surface streets like their is no tomorrow, covered a distance that usually takes 20 min lane splitting in 7 min of hyper lane splitting, that T-boost acceleration scared the sh---- out of car drivers around me, today I really like the T-boost and have no regrets purchasing it, if I just had a helmet camera to record it,it would have been a lot of fun to watch, people in cars didn't have time to even think or blink:rocket bike: .
long live the max.
________
New Class

Last edited:
Ibrahim, try a bike with stage 7 and open Boost sometime. :)

maleko89 said:
Ibrahim, try a bike with stage 7 and open Boost sometime. :)

The thing about the stage 7 from what I see posted that it needs fiddling around so much and will keep the bike at a hyper mod all the time, on the other hand the T-boost is a flip of a switch from normal to hyper and back
I use the bike daily for work so reliability is of utmost importance to me, I don't and wouldn't want to take the carbs out every few months to adjust, readjust, mess up , adjust some more and then finally mess up the carbs and look for another set of carbs now with a flat side, then a toast master engine then big bore, I want to ride daily with no down . I also want the engine to be smooth and not noisy, I am not a drag racer or participate in bike shows so the stock just fits my needs well at this time.
and for $45 the T-boost is unbeatable.
If yamaha doesn't come up with a new modern vmax my next bike will be a BMW.
________
Ferrari Mythos specifications

Last edited:
firefly said:
The thing about the stage 7 from what I see posted that it needs fiddling around so much and will keep the bike at a hyper mod all the time, on the other hand the T-boost is a flip of a switch from normal to hyper and back
I use the bike daily for work so reliability is of utmost importance to me, I don't and wouldn't want to take the carbs out every few months to adjust, readjust, mess up , adjust some more and then finally mess up the carbs and look for another set of carbs now with a flat side, then a toast master engine then big bore, I want to ride daily with no down . I also want the engine to be smooth and not noisy, I am not a drag racer or participate in bike shows so the stock just fits my needs well at this time.
and for $45 the T-boost is unbeatable.
If yamaha doesn't come up with a new modern vmax my next bike will be a BMW.

I agree, the work involved with the carbs get a bit tiring. It would be nice to have that FI unit made for the Vmax... still a bit too pricey for me though.:(

Once you get stage 7 dialed in, you're done. You can leave vboost on if you want. I have a spring loaded switch I got from Kloker. I open the Boost valve whenever I want on the fly. Mine's very smooth. I agree, does take time to tune but once you figure out these carbs it gets easier.

I can not imagine how lane splitting / sharing is not allowed in all states, it is the safest way to ride a bike in traffic, I would actually like to see a study on accidents caused by lane splitting and the number of fatalities vs rear ending fatalities, the problem here in the US is that people ( bikers ) become so confined to the lane as if it is fenced :)))))
and then they get rear ended by some lady putting make up or a kid with a pickup f150 , I encounter people actually slowing down and stopping for green lights in a dazed mental state, yesterday I yelled at a guy that stopped while the light was green, and people stop at stop signs as if they are red lights and don't move unless you curse at them and then they look at you as if you are a crazy biker????? , today a lady stopped traffic and insisted on making a U turn crossing TWO double yellow and felt that it is her right to do so, how did she get a driver license is beyond me.
I am seriously considering getting a helmet camera to record such stupidity and send recordings to the DMV.
We as bikers should demand more rights since we pollute less and don't contribute to traffic jams.
________
vaporizer reviews

Last edited:
firefly said:
I can not imagine how lane splitting / sharing is not allowed in all states, it is the safest way to ride a bike in traffic, I would actually like to see a study on accidents caused by lane splitting and the number of fatalities vs rear ending fatalities, the problem here in the US is that people ( bikers ) become so confined to the lane as if it is fenced :)))))
and then they get rear ended by some lady putting make up or a kid with a pickup f150 , I encounter people actually slowing down and stopping for green lights in a dazed mental state, yesterday I yelled at a guy that stopped while the light was green, and people stop at stop signs as if they are red lights and don't move unless you curse at them and then they look at you as if you are a crazy biker????? , today a lady stopped traffic and insisted on making a U turn crossing TWO double yellow and felt that it is her right to do so, how did she get a driver license is beyond me.
I am seriously considering getting a helmet camera to record such stupidity and send recordings to the DMV.
We as bikers should demand more rights since we pollute less and don't contribute to traffic jams.
If lane splitting was allowed in every state, there would be a lot of dead/injured bikers out there. I used to do it too while living in the San Jose area and commuting to and fro work. It's hard to describe the thrill, the high you get from doing such a dangerous maneuver. By the way, has anybody seen a fly get swatted with a fly swatter? That's how you would look after somebody sees you coming and opens his door. Most people hardly look to change lanes anymore and there are enough mental cases out there just waiting for someone to make their day by cutting them off. The question is not IF, but WHEN you will be that fly. I don't mind anybody doing it and will make room, but would not suggest it be legalized in every state. With so many getting killed and injured anymore on bikes, congress is studying the situation to see if changes are in order, especially on fast street bikes. I'm just worried that some kind of legislation will keep the new Max from appearing the way Yamaha has it planned right now. Remember, if it's legal, all the Hardley guys and other bikes will push their luck, no matter how bad a driver they are or how hard some bikes are to handle in a quick reaction situation. As usual, just my :twocents: worth.

go ahead and try lane splitting here in RI. The drivers would make it a goal to kill you. Its just the attitude of drivers around here, if they have to wait so do you. Im not saying its right but....

About Stage 7. I know some guys who like it but say if they had to do it over again they wouldnt bother. IT takes some time and alot of tinkering to get it dailed in, and each bike/exhaust system will need to be done in different ways

In 3 years of riding LA streets I encountered 3 drivers opening the car door while stopped in a red light, but my speed was 5 MPH so stopping was no problem at all now if I was going 50 mph I should not be riding a bike at all! dangerous? no it is not dangerous and accidents that happen at 5mph can't be deadly , the only thing that can happen is scratching a car or braking a mirror, being squashed as a fly does not happen during lane splitting at all. as for some vigilante causing a dangerous situation that will be his wost night mar because I or other LA bikers will make sure this driver learns a lesson that he can't forget for the rest of his life! , the hell's angel reputation helps in this situation, people here are scared of bikers which is a good thing for us.
________
Kingsway

Last edited:
firefly said:
In 3 years of riding LA streets I encountered 3 drivers opening the car door while stopped in a red light, but my speed was 5 MPH so stopping was no problem at all now if I was going 50 mph I should not be riding a bike at all!

How fast were you going when you did some serious lane splitting with t-boost on? (Your subject line) If a car swerved into another lane just when you came, he would knock you into the lane he's trying to enter and you would be kissing the ground with other vehicles running over you. Have your fun Ibrahim, but there are a few here that would hate to see you watching us from above or wherever. Really hope your luck holds out. End of sermon. :rip:

mikemax04 said:
How fast were you going when you did some serious lane splitting with t-boost on? (Your subject line) If a car swerved into another lane just when you came, he would knock you into the lane he's trying to enter and you would be kissing the ground with other vehicles running over you. Have your fun Ibrahim, but there are a few here that would hate to see you watching us from above or wherever. Really hope your luck holds out. End of sermon. :rip:

In theory you are right BUT what are the brakes for? cars coming in my lane happens 30 times a day , does that mean anytime a car cuts me off I'll crash? there are many ways out without braking a sweet, you flow in traffic not in a fenced lane I don't even curse at them, its just a daily occurrence that we LA riders have to deal with constantly this is what many riders don't understand and don't develop the skill for , they just go wheelies and WOT without a plan to stop now that is an accident waiting to happen or go wide in the canyons and drop off a cliff.
Its an LA thing I guess, it IS the safest way to ride in traffic! you think I am at full boost between stopped cars:), NO it is just the momentary acceleration to overtake then you slow down by engine brake and a little front brake as needed to position myself for the next move.
Many bike accidents happen when you are minding your own business and not scrutinizing the road conditions and then when you get hit you blame the car driver for not paying attention which was exactly what you 've been doing just before the accident.
should I wait for cars to signal they are turning? what if they turn without signaling? will that make me crash? if so then I should sell the bike and drive my car.
Car drivers here don't mind bikes at all in fact they make room for us whenever they can, and if I encounter a disgruntled driver I just position myself far far away form them and disapear two or more lights ahead no problem at all.
________
Lincoln Blackwood history

Last edited:
I would think where lane splitting is legal, car drivers (in theory) would be more accomadating to the motorcyclist and less bitter than the car driver where lane splitting is illegal. I think where it is illegal, you get more vengeful drivers who try to cut you off or make you crash.

I agree with that Buster. But Im telling you guys, even if it were legal here, drivers would mess with you big time

KRL0215 said:
I agree with that Buster. But Im telling you guys, even if it were legal here, drivers would mess with you big time
I lived in California for 15 years and when you first get a taste of the traffic, it blows your mind. People weaving in and out all the time in a traffic jam that's traveling 65mph. You leave a distance of two feet between you and the guy ahead, and a car squeezes in. Three feet would invite a semi. You get used to all this after a while and just go with the flow. The hickbillies around here would just as soon run you over than give you a break. I'm still having trouble realizing that there are actually people out there that take great pleasure to put the hurt on you because of their own miserable lives.

Buster Hymen said:
I would think where lane splitting is legal, car drivers (in theory) would be more accomadating to the motorcyclist and less bitter than the car driver where lane splitting is illegal.

Only problem with that is that there are always tourists everywhere and they don't both reading about local road laws before hopping in and driving.

An thats why I "personally" don't think that even if lane splitting were legal here in Ga, that I would do it. It would be just my luck that someone opens a door or closes the gap.

But hey, if your comfortable doing it, more power to ya. I'm sure it certainly cuts down on travel time.

Firefly, another thing you have to take into consideration is that you personally have spent much time splitting lanes, have a quick reaction time and are very sure of your abilities in that situation. Most bikers don't have this ability and would probably freeze in certain situations. Personally I find it hard to believe that ANY state allows this. Guess those with less skills just stay behind cars and follow the traffic. I used to lane split too but not anymore (almost not) since my reaction time isn't what it used to be.

I want to stay healthy for next year when the new Brutus (Max) appears on the scene and blows everything off the street. That I can still handle in a straight line.

Last edited:
mikemax04 said:
Firefly, another thing you have to take into consideration is that you personally have spent much time splitting lanes, have a quick reaction time and are very sure of your abilities in that situation. Most bikers don't have this ability and would probably freeze in certain situations. Personally I find it hard to believe that ANY state allows this. Guess those with less skills just stay behind cars and follow the traffic. I used to lane split too but not anymore (almost not) since my reaction time isn't what it used to be.

I want to stay healthy for next year when the new Brutus (Max) appears on the scene and blows everything off the street. That I can still handle in a straight line.

Mike,I know I spend a lot of time doing it but what I am trying to say is that it keeps the rider sharp in any situation, the heightened level of focus and attention gradually moves to the subconscious so its kind of converting some of your genes to the lane splitting function:)))) and the ride becomes so fluid like water finding its way around obstacles:confused2: that said accidents do happen:doh:

It is like the next day after you take an advanced riding course though it does not help much in canyon riding, a totally different mind set
________
Gormully & Jeffery

Last edited:
I like how it runs with Vboost open at all times. Who knows about dyno numbers tho'? Might just be how it "feels"

Rusty

Latest posts

Back