Tools I'll need

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I'm sorry to start a new thread on a subject we have talked about in other threads but often the original question get lost in a thread and the subject often changes. I hope this thread will stay on this subject.

This is my to buy list so far

Carbtune (Need to know if 4 column is better than 2)

Colortune

torque screwdriver set, are they SAE and Metric?

torque wrench I have every socket already from Craftsman

Am I missing anything??

Ron

I'm sorry to start a new thread on a subject we have talked about in other threads but often the original question get lost in a thread and the subject often changes. I hope this thread will stay on this subject.

This is my to buy list so far

Carbtune (Need to know if 4 column is better than 2)

Colortune

torque screwdriver set, are they SAE and Metric?

torque wrench I have every socket already from Craftsman

Am I missing anything??

Ron

Get the 4 colum and you can do all 4 carbs at the same time. Everything on this bike I have seen so far is metric. Sounds like you have everything you need so far. Did your bike have a toolkit under the seat?

all metric. like i said a 27mm open end/box end/rachet end is nice to have.

also maybe an in lbs torque wrench, harbour freight had one for $20

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is a " in lbs torque wrench" I know what a torque wrench is and was planning on getting a craftsman, I like to buy craftsman all the time that way I have the same brand tools, I know a bit anal but that's me....lol

Is what you mentioned different than a regular torque wrench?

Don't worry about inch lbs... Just get two ft. lb ones. One large one and one smaller one. No need for torque screw drivers but you will want a full set of good screw drivers. The philips holding the chrome covers on the side are a special size so make sure you use the right ones on them. Most don't... A nice set of T handle allen? wrenches are also very useful as well as some that fit on a ratchet so that you can use the torque wrench on them.

Full metric socket and wrench set up to 32mm is nice to have but 10, 12 and 14mm are the most common size with 8mm being the size for bleeding brakes.

Common sense goes a long way when wrenching... Just remember... Lefty loosey righty tighty...

Chris

Double check before you buy that colortune.

Some people were saying it doesn't fit good with our Vmaxes.

And go with the 4 column Carbtune, much easier to sync.

few bolts on the vmax are in the 1 - 10 ft lbs range. my torque wrench doesn't go below 15 ft lbs (and most are pretty inaccurate in the lower and upper section of their ranges).

anyways i have a 12 - 240 in lbs torque wrench (thats 1 - 20 ft lbs) to cover those bolts and also use it for my K&N oil filter

Its strongly depend how far do you want to go with diassembly?
Like 4gasem said with carbs you may need special philips screwdriver, ist not even typical philips couse it have i nipple at the centre lol :D
It may be an good idea to buy battery screwdriver with changable bits/tips. Im sure that you can buy ane with hudge set of bits/tips.
Is eleminating the "to much tools problem" :)

If you're planing to do some serious work in future i suggest to buy an good torque wrench. Do not buy a cheepo one.
I pay for mine about 40$ and have 6 uo to 200Nm and also lbs scale.
Its worth of it. Lots of chinese shits you can buy but you'll regret this anyway..

Don't worry about inch lbs... Just get two ft. lb ones. One large one and one smaller one. No need for torque screw drivers but you will want a full set of good screw drivers. The philips holding the chrome covers on the side are a special size so make sure you use the right ones on them. Most don't... A nice set of T handle allen? wrenches are also very useful as well as some that fit on a ratchet so that you can use the torque wrench on them.

Full metric socket and wrench set up to 32mm is nice to have but 10, 12 and 14mm are the most common size with 8mm being the size for bleeding brakes.

Common sense goes a long way when wrenching... Just remember... Lefty loosey righty tighty...

Chris

What size is the "The philips holding the chrome covers on the side are a special size" ?? Or do you mean to make sure the tip fits in nice and tight? or is there a specific size?

It should be an T25 size but like i've said its not typical philips.
Philips with holes at centre are named TH and in this case you need TH2.

And its typicaly metric M6 or 5 bolt, dont remember exactly and you can replace them with any bolt in that size like i've did.

Never hear of it do most tool stores carry this special phillips?

Double check before you buy that colortune.

Some people were saying it doesn't fit good with our Vmaxes.

And go with the 4 column Carbtune, much easier to sync.

I'm trusting you guys when you suggest the Carbtune but isn't there a good carb sync tool made in the USA ??

Never hear of it do most tool stores carry this special phillips?

The philips he is referring to is actually a torx screw, and in this case it is a tamper-proof torx (t25 bit). There is one torx screw on all four of the carb slide covers. The philips chris is refering to is a No. 3 philips that hold the scoops on.

the frame braces on my bike make sure i can't use a screwdriver on one of the screws. a 1/4" rachet with an adapater and a phillips (forget which size bit) works well usually. just easy on easy off. don't strip it as they say.

hey i had a question for u Europe folks, satariel666 or whoever.

in the US we have our rachets in 3/8", 1/4" and 1/2" sizes that are standard, what are your standards?

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR & GET AN INCH LB. TORQUE WRENCH ! A LOT OF THE TORQUE SPECS. ARE IN REAL LOW FOOT LBS. FOR EXAMPLE ; THE OIL PAN BOLT TORQUE SPEC. IS 7.2 FT. LBS. I HAVE OVER $30,000.00 INVESTED IN TOOLS AND DO NOT HAVE A FT. LB. TORQUE WRENCH THAT GOES THAT LOW , SO YOU MULTIPLY 7.2 FT. LBS. X 12. INCH LBS. = 86.4 INCH LBS. SO TIGHTEN THEM TO 86 INCH LBS. & YOUR " GOOD TO GO " !:punk:

I can dang near take a complete bike apart with the tool kit that is sent with the bike.

There is one special screw on each carb diaphram cover that is a tamper proof torx bit. The rest are normal #2 phillips. There are also a lot of #3 phillips on the carbs and on the bike in general. If in doubt check to see if the #3 fits first before you try the #2. There are some "special" made phillips screwdrivers out there that fit these screws even better but i've always had fine luck with the craftsman.

The absolute most handy tool I have is a manual impact screwdriver (craftsman). This is the type that you hit on the end with a hammer.

The second most usefull tools I have are apex bit sockets (allen drive and #2/#3 phillips bit sockets).

A good dead blow hammer.

8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19 mm sockets 3/8th drive (6 point deep is what I mostly use).
Don't remember the big socket sizes. Same sizes in wrenches.

Various length and thickness flat screwdrivers and even a couple you can sand down the width to make the perfect screwdriver for various places (A/F mix screw and main jet for example).

Torque Wrench as noted (craftsman makes inch and ft lb versions).

Mighty Vac (or craftsman equivalent)

Duck Bill Pliers (works well on the spring ring hose clamps). Standard selection of pliers and vice grips (not needed often but when you need them you need them).

Spanner Wrench (for adjusting the steering head bearings)

"coin" socket if you have to remove the timing inspection plug (not needed for most)

Various extensions

Various Allen wrenches (see noted allen sockets). I like my set from craftsman with the ball ends on the long end. Lets you get at and angle if needed.

Carb Sync Tool. Get one that checks all 4 at one time. My sync tool is a lot more expensive unit then most need.

Gasket Scraper (must use carefully since it can dig into the aluminum).

Flashlights, Flexible Magnet retrieval tool. Regular Ball Pean (and heavy one works sometimes). Gear/Balancer Puller (used only to remove the flywheel when the starter clutch goes bad).

Virtually all the tools I need to use (except the specialty ones listed) will fit into a 3 drawer hand carry box (and is literally what I have them in most of the time).

An ATV type lift is nice but not always needed. A car floor jack will even work well if you know where to lift the bike (depends on which end you want off the ground).

Sean

Thanks Sean for the great list but I hope to never have to need a lot of them........lol

I just want to start off with the basics and I have full sets of craftsman wrenchs and sockets in standard and metric.

Since I will be taking my carbs off beside the torque wrenchs I'm concerned about the special phillips everyone is talking about. Just called Sears and they have no idea what it is.

Someone mentioned a tamper-proof torx (t25 bit) is that what they mean.

Back