Top 3 ways to get burned on a used V-Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still looking for that perfect deal on a low-miles used bike. (Why are there so many used bikes for sale in the NE, yet here in the Dallas area..nearly zippo? ;) )

Since I'm a complete noob, how about providing your top 3 things that might be missed by a novice when looking at a Max.

Thanks!

I actually bought my bike in Arlington. I live just east of Houston.
I found it in the Auto trader. I found only two used bikes to look at; one was a beater some dealer had and the other was the one I bought.
The only thing I have to offer is try to buy one that has not been modified in any way. I'll probably change my tune on that when I go to sell mine but I prefer to buy something and modify it myself rather than hope that someone else did it right.
To me most people that modify bikes drive the holy crap out of them (I know I do) and although I ride my bike like that I would not want to buy one that somone else rode that way.
1 Try not to buy anything that has ever been down.
2 Look for signs that the motor has been opened up.
3 Be damn sure you have a good, clear title.

Have someone check it out to make sure the frame is straight.

1. Make sure that the title is clear and actually matches the Bike numbers.
2. Make sure the bike has not been down, look for any small marks in the frame that would give it away. Things that should not be there.
3. Certain mods are ok, If they added a fork brace, changed the seat or added other items ok, But if the engine has been modded or opend up it is one I would avoid.
4. Like all bikes look at condition, how was it kept and stored. With the Max make sure that the normal maintence has been done, Look at the fluids, All the Fluids, Antifreeze, Rear diff oil, brake fluids front and rear. All of these should be changed on a regular basis and if they have not been you can bet the bike has also been neglegted in other ways as well.
5. TEST RIDE!! and shift it hard to see if it pops out of gear. The 1985 models and some others that have been riden hard will often have 2nd gear problems. (This is true of other bikes as well)
6. Then there is all the normal stuff you want to look for on any bike, fit and finish, leaks brakes, tires etc.

There are alot of good bikes out there for sale and if you are patient you can find what you want for the price and condition you want as well.

Jayhawk said:
I'm still looking for that perfect deal on a low-miles used bike. (Why are there so many used bikes for sale in the NE, yet here in the Dallas area..nearly zippo? ;) )

Since I'm a complete noob, how about providing your top 3 things that might be missed by a novice when looking at a Max.

Thanks!
Personally I think you should find someone in your area that has had a Max for quite some time. Befriend him and if possible, take him to "feel" the bike out for you. Don't go by just low mileage. 2000 miles at the drag strip and you're buying junk. Also some buy a speedo off a wrecked bike that has low miles, just to fool the buyer. I'd rather buy a bike that has 2-3K miles per year than a 1986 with only 500 miles on it. Low miles could also be a sign of problems you can't see. Someone that knows the Max can sense if it feels right or not. Also don't buy into "it runs a little rough because it's been sitting so long and just needs a tune-up." Bull!!! Lastly, if it's too good to be true, you're getting ripped off. There might be some good deals out there but ask yourself, when did you last win the lottery? Good luck and bring along a maxer friend.

also don't forget new looking parts, speedometers could be swapped easily, very low miles may indicate the bike was down and the owner is just scared to ride it again, I would stay away from a bike with a stage 7 , blower or stuff like that or cut the price in half, if exhaust was replaced ask to see the original if possible, look at the tires if they are the original or have been changed. take the bike to the Yamaha dealer and pay $100 to have it inspected properly (leakdown test, compression test and a test ride), it is well worth the $100 bucks.
I wouldn't buy a bike from a guy with pierced nose or excessive tattoos either these bikes are daemon possessed and you will not be able to tell which cylinder they inhabit.:confused2:
________
Suzuki T500

Last edited:
I don't know why people shy away from bikes that have been down. Unless it's been a major crash, most bikes that have been down just have cosmetic rash marks. Some of the best deals on bikes I've had, have been from "rashed" bikes.

firefly said:
I wouldn't buy a bike from a guy with pierced nose or excessive tattoos either these bikes are daemon possessed and you will not be able to tell which cylinder they inhabit.:confused2:
You're making a FUNNY here, right? Demon posessed..... :rofl_200:

Look for 'out of place' maintenance. A new front tire on a 3000 mile bike is red flag for instance. Look for burnt tire on the top of the swing arm pivot up in front, etc.

Check the brake caliper bolts to see if they've been off--indication of front pads being replaced. This is a wishy washy one. I've been through brake pads on a bike in about 4000 miles before.

All records and receipts are a wonderful thing (and worth an extra $500 on an older bike as far as I'm concerned).

I bought my bike new in 03 and after putting 25k on it the speedo was fogging up so I had it replaced under extended warranty so now I have 1k on an 03 bike! that will be my strong point in selling the bike, I'll give the odometer reading of the old speedo and tell the buyer the actual miles! and will also give the dealer's name I serviced the bike at!
________
Chrysler Centura history

Last edited:
Back