Topeka Dyno Results

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
Well guys, here's what we found out. Add in your stories since I wasn't able to keep up with everyone.

We had been thrashing for the last week to get an engine built and installed in Scott Petersons 92 Vmax and finally finished it up Sat (dyno was Sun). A quick break in and we loaded it in the trailer. Heres the specs:

1992 Vmax with 2xxxx miles on chassis
1986 Venture 1300 Short Block with 93xxx miles on it.
Hand Ported Vmax heads with fresh valve job (stock valve size)
Stock Vmax Cams
Stock Head Gasket Thickness
Stock Venture Trans
Vmax V-boost Setup (no t-boost)
Stock Vmax Carbs (NO jet kit) with 145 Mikuni Main Jets, Stock Needles
Stock Airbox with "Y" shimmed
Stock 85 Vmax Exhaust with mufflers drilled

Here are the results:
First pull was good with stock mains (152.5) but showed rich. We changed mains and got back in line. We only got three pulls before an electrical problem showed up (keep in mind it was just put together the day before). We had been getting peak power on the 6th or 7th pull. Anyway, with STOCK EXHAUST and CARBS we pulled 130rwhp and 87ft lb of torque!!! In my opinion we would have pulled another 2-3 hp and torque with the later runs!!!!!

Either way you look at it - we made over 130 rwhp and 87 lbs of torque (the highest at the event (even more then the flatslide equipped bikes) with an engine that had nearly 100,000 miles on the bottom end and STOCK induction!!!! Needless to say the bike hauls on the street and wheelies like no other.

I'll get some more info posted in a bit on some of the other bikes we brought including info on the alcohol drag bike!

Sean

Yeah, Scott told me that it stood right up and he about shit himself. lol
What was the electrical problem? Sorry we had to cut early but the weather wasn't looking too good all the way home.

How big of holes are drilled in his exhaust? I'm surprised that he was that rich and went all the way down to 145 mains!

When this "grandpa" Vmax engine of mine goes I'll have to consider doing the 1300 engine with the same setup. Isn't the Venture engine lower compression?

Okay, here's what I did. I'll get the dyno sheet scanned in soon. I'm going to email the dyno operator to email me everybody's chart again.

1989 Vmax with 64,000 miles
Stock vboost
Morley air box with 155 mains
stage 7 needles at 1.75 clips from blunt end
ITAM ignition advance unit
Mark's SS exhaust, 14 inch cans with 2.25 inch downturn outlets

Here is last year's results: 118.94 hp/77.32 ft/lbs
This year: 119.26/77.8 ft/lbs

I have a big rich dip from 3000 to about 4500 rpms. It stays a little rich throughout the midrange. I think the advance is richening it up a bit, I wish I would've remembered to try that with the unit in the OFF position. Several other bikes had the same rich dip so I'm wondering if it was something with the dyno machine. I got great gas mileage on the way down and got about 40 on the way home. If it was worn needle jets the mileage would be way worse I think. The only thing I did this year was bump up the main jets one size. I guess it was good for .32 horsepower and .48 ft/lbs of torque lol.

My hp/torque curve looks perfect so I'm not going to touch a thing. It was a straight line from 2800 rpms all the way up to 9200 rpms!

Mark

Attachments

• topeka2007dyno (640 x 465).jpg
    topeka2007dyno (640 x 465).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Haven't even got it out of the trailer yet to see what is the problem. It has a huge exhaust leak now by the mufflers so we'll start from there first.

kent is going to mail us both a CD.

You are correct, the venture is acutally lower compression and had there been time I would have decked his block .040 to get compression back. Between that, larger cams, and a good header and jet kit I think we would have been over 140rwhp with it. Heck, we might even try to get it with stock exhaust!!!

More to follow.

Sean

OK, next bike - Another one of Scotts

It's a 1986 (the "Pink" bike)
1985 engine approx 15xxx miles
Old 4-1 hindle with race baffle
Muscle Jet Kit

Pulled 128 HP and low 80's torque

I'll post mine:

2003 with approx 10,000 miles, Kerker pipe with HMF carbon can w/ 2.25 outlet, replacement K&N with 'Y' removed, no other mods

121.08 HP 81.15 TQ

Best last year was 119.81 HP and 81.13 TQ with Kerker 2.5 outlet (running damn rich then too, wonder where my gas mileage is going)

Running below 10:1 A/F from 4600 to 5400RPM

Going with the (much quieter) HMF can with the 2.25 inch outlet instead of the Kerker 2.5 inch did not drop performance as I had feared, in fact with the smaller outlet I actually made my peak HP at a higher RPM! My first run lost .73 HP and .62 TQ over last year. Mark showed me again how to change needle settings (Thanks Mark!) and I pulled the 121.08.

Much like my 1/8 mile times at the drag strip, I feel like there is more in her
then what I got, but it will probably be the best that I ever will get.

I AM IN THE 120 HP CLUB THOUGH!

Sean, what did your alcohol bike pull?

OK, the next bike

1985 - crashed very early in 1985 and owner deceased - Bike was then sold through auction and purchased by man in my area - Over the course of the next year it was converted into a drag bike.
1985 engine bored to 1300 and converted to Chain Drive
Hilborne Mechanical Fuel Injection on Alcohol (Methanol)
internal specs unknown - ported heads, high comp pistons, ect...
Experimental Kerker header (they were that way when they first came out)
Solid Mounts (possibly first ever??)
10.5" Slick on custom swingarm (not much longer then stock)
Custom front end with spoke wheel (TT???)
Lowered Seat (first one ever??)
Very custom ignition system setup for dual plugs (if I ever want to build custom heads) - The reason was to potentually run Nitro
Other misc stuff

The bike was never really got up and running and tuned correctly. It sat for over 15 years in one spot in the garage when we found it. We took it home and opened up the system to clean it out and there was still alcohol in the lines! After checking it out we decided to fire it up. Man this thing sounds very wicked! The dyno oportunity was a good time to actually see if the bike would run through the gears and see what it needed. Once we tracked down some fuel Sunday we filled it up and fired it up in the trailer - you should have seen the crowd of people come flooding out of the building to see what the hell had been started!

we didn't get much info on the dyno other then knowing we need to get less fuel (it was flooding out). We did manage to get it to run at half throttle from 4-6k with my closing the fuel valve most of the way (that's how we know we are flooding it). Power at half throttle was 100hp and 100lbs of torque!!!

Not sure what this thing will make once we get it tuned in but we hope to be running it at the track in 2 weeks! I'll keep everyone informed.

Sean Morley

Sean,Is this the drag max that you picked up right before thunder 06?

I wanted to hear that one running!

Yeah, that's the room. They say the dyno room deadens noise....my ass.

Mark

yea, it was the one. It's wicked sounding and can't even rev right now. I am not sure how loud it was outside the room but it was loud in there as well as hard on breathing and eyes - Kent even had a hard time though he had on a full respirator. I was about to go blind myself - LOL.

Sean

Yeah, Scott told me that it stood right up and he about shit himself. Lil
What was the electrical problem? Sorry we had to cut early but the weather wasn't looking too good all the way home.

How big of holes are drilled in his exhaust? I'm surprised that he was that rich and went all the way down to 145 mains!

When this "grandpa" Vmax engine of mine goes I'll have to consider doing the 1300 engine with the same setup. Isn't the Venture engine lower compression?

Okay, here's what I did. I'll get the dyno sheet scanned in soon. I'm going to email the dyno operator to email me everybody's chart again.

1989 Vmax with 64,000 miles
Stock vboost
Morley air box with 155 mains
stage 7 needles at 1.75 clips from blunt end
ITAM ignition advance unit
Mark's SS exhaust, 14 inch cans with 2.25 inch downturn outlets

Here is last year's results: 118.94 hp/77.32 ft/lbs
This year: 119.26/77.8 ft/lbs

I have a big rich dip from 3000 to about 4500 rpms. It stays a little rich throughout the midrange. I think the advance is richening it up a bit, I wish I would've remembered to try that with the unit in the OFF position. Several other bikes had the same rich dip so I'm wondering if it was something with the dyno machine. I got great gas mileage on the way down and got about 40 on the way home. If it was worn needle jets the mileage would be way worse I think. The only thing I did this year was bump up the main jets one size. I guess it was good for .32 horsepower and .48 ft/lbs of torque lol.

My hp/torque curve looks perfect so I'm not going to touch a thing. It was a straight line from 2800 rpms all the way up to 9200 rpms!

Mark

Bump. Look at that beautiful curve!

Mark

Yeah, beautiful curve, whatever. Mine looked like an 120 year old blind man trying to draw a straight line while on a sinking boat during a Category 5 hurricane. Dips, squiggles, and scribbles were the words of the day. Those and; Shit, WTF, and God Damn.

Well guys, here's what we found out. Add in your stories since I wasn't able to keep up with everyone.

We had been thrashing for the last week to get an engine built and installed in Scott Petersons 92 Vmax and finally finished it up Sat (dyno was Sun). A quick break in and we loaded it in the trailer. Heres the specs:

1992 Vmax with 2xxxx miles on chassis
1986 Venture 1300 Short Block with 93xxx miles on it.
Hand Ported Vmax heads with fresh valve job (stock valve size)
Stock Vmax Cams
Stock Head Gasket Thickness
Stock Venture Trans
Vmax V-boost Setup (no t-boost)
Stock Vmax Carbs (NO jet kit) with 145 Mikuni Main Jets, Stock Needles
Stock Airbox with "Y" shimmed
Stock 85 Vmax Exhaust with mufflers drilled

Here are the results:
First pull was good with stock mains (152.5) but showed rich. We changed mains and got back in line. We only got three pulls before an electrical problem showed up (keep in mind it was just put together the day before). We had been getting peak power on the 6th or 7th pull. Anyway, with STOCK EXHAUST and CARBS we pulled 130rwhp and 87ft lb of torque!!! In my opinion we would have pulled another 2-3 hp and torque with the later runs!!!!!

Either way you look at it - we made over 130 rwhp and 87 lbs of torque (the highest at the event (even more then the flatslide equipped bikes) with an engine that had nearly 100,000 miles on the bottom end and STOCK induction!!!! Needless to say the bike hauls on the street and wheelies like no other.

I'll get some more info posted in a bit on some of the other bikes we brought including info on the alcohol drag bike!

Sean
Sean I don't know, but are you saying here that switching to a Venture short block and port job got all this horsepower for you? The increase in CC netted that much performance increase??

The combination of increased cc's and ported heads are the biggest factor. We did hurt it on the dyno though and are trying to see what is going on. It may be a head gasket or simple electrical gremlin. It still runs well but not like we remember it.

I think with good header and jet kit the combo would make close to 140rwhp.

Sean

Hey wait a min... I thought I got highest at the event??? LOL

Yeah, you had the highest hp for Vmaxes. Bastard! lol

Mark

Latest posts

Back