Torque settings for steering head bearings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwilson410

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls, I am trying to torque my new steering head bearings. What is the correct procedure for this, i read that you torque the nut over tight to settle the bearings, then loosen and re torque to a lesser setting. Anyone know the proper torque settings please!:ummm:

Michael

You can download the service manual from www.vmaxoutlaw.com - that has all the factory specs.

To set it properly once installed, use 'the bounce test'. Search for this here - it's described in detail and simply involves raising the front wheel off the ground and letting the handlebars fall to one side - if they bounce off the stop it's too loose.

Thanks you sir, found the complete sevice manual on the site with all my info. Just watched Shaun Morley doing the adjustment bounce. Just got my new torque wrench today and can't wait to use it!

Thanks again Michael

Sean Morley has a video of the bounce test adjustment in one of the How to Section here...

Too loose = wobble / shake at various speeds or with one hand off the bars. Can also show
up on deceleration

Too tight = wander at lower speeds or with one hand off the bars. Like the bike following rain
grooves, only with no grooves present.

Good Luck.....

I prefer to torque new bearings to factory spec and run it for awhile. If it seems too loose, or a low speed wobble develops then use the bounce test method.

My '06 handled beautifully at factory torque spec, at least until the rear tire became bald....then a severe low speed wobble showed up. I'll replace the tire, if it still wobbles then it's straight on to the 'bounce test!' :punk:

dannymax quite probably has a valid point with new bearings. They will have a period of minor changes while settling in. You can always go back to the bounce method if you see any changes that warrant readjustment...

Latest posts

Back