Totally burned clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexec

Reaction score
I totally burned my clutch the other day while lighting up the rear tire. The friction plates (rings with pads on them) where totally cleaned off and some rings were broken. The metal plates are all black, they were once silver. Needless to say, I need new friction plates. However, can I get away with cleaning the metal plates (sand blast or hand sand)?

Oil looks pretty bad also. Got some oil come up into the air box. Hope I didn't pop some rings. I hope it came up through the vent hose.

jeeeezus. morley does exchanges on blasted metal plates

You can also glass bead the steels and refurbish them. Without looking I would say that the oil in the airbox is most likely from the crankcase vent. Running the engine at high RPM for an extended period of time will cause this. Also, if you are being this hard on the clutch I would recommend a Barnett pressure plate and use OEM fibres. Remember to soak your new fibre plates in the motor oil you use as per the maintenance manual.

On a side note you should hook up with the Ontario group at our Spring Ice Breaker ride, see the Ontario VMOA Chapter section on this forum for details. You are always welcome to contact me at any time if you are looking to meet up with other VMax owners.

Honestly, if you got them THAT hot, you probably tempered them. I'd play it safe and replace all the steels and all the friction plates with OEM. Perhaps Sean has some good used steels he'll sell you though.

Chris

Yea, either outright new or used. They will be fine with a good blasting though.

Sean

Thanks everyone.....I think I'll blast the steels. I can almost wipe the burn off of them and they are still straight and flat. They don't look damaged other than color. I'm more concerned with the motor. During the burnout, smoke started spewing out of the mufflers. Lots of it. I just hope I didn't pop my rings. I'm hoping that the smoke was oil spitting up through the vent into the airbox and then into the carb to be burnt. The engine seems to start, run, and rev fine. I didn't run it long enough to see if the smoke clears up. Without a clutch there was no point in keeping the engine running. Then I began ripping it apart to see what damage there was to the clutch. I'm afraid of what I find next.....:(

The engine did get very hot very fast. I guess from the heat of the clutch. That may have caused the oil to burn inside the engine and vented into the carb and out the exhaust. I'm obviously hoping for no major damage other than the clutch.

Latest posts

Back