Tough Day at Work

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Today at work I was backing up a cargo van to connect to a piece of equipment at work. My co-worker waved me to back up, but he had his hand between the tow bar and the van. Well, his hand got crushed between the van and tow bar. Both his thumb and middle finger were broken and very messed up. He got treated and returned to work after a couple hours at the hospital. I kept apologizing, but continued to tell me it's not my fault since he had his hand in a bad place. He literally scolded me for apologizing, and that I did nothing wrong. Nobody is pointing fingers at me, but I still feel TERRIBLE.

Situational awareness, guys. On the bike and everywhere else, too.

Your co-worker is right man, it's not your fault....I know it doesn't make you feel any better right now but he just wasn't paying close enough attention to what he was doing, and got hurt as a result.

Hey look at the bright side- He doesn't have that many fingers to point with:ummm:

Just kidding man, don't take it hard it can happen to anyone-certainly not your fault.

If he was spotting and you were backing there is nothing you could do to prevent this. He had his hand in the wrong place and accepted responsibility for it, but honestly I would have felt bad too and probably reacted the same way you did.

Being involved in hurting someone is a tough experience.

The good news is that your are the way your are - good people feel bad for hurting others - regardless of the situation. Would you rather be one who dismissed is as the other guy's fault and had no remorse?

Also - sounds like your buddy is a stand-up guy as well. Not everyone would man up and say it was their own fault!

I wish your friend a speedy recovery - an a little piece of mind for you.

Good people make good things happen - you will figure out how to make things right....

Not your fault.. I drive a fork lift, and someone either through error or deliberately, gets into those situations once in awhile..

Being involved in hurting someone is a tough experience.

The good news is that your are the way your are - good people feel bad for hurting others - regardless of the situation. Would you rather be one who dismissed is as the other guy's fault and had no remorse?

Also - sounds like your buddy is a stand-up guy as well. Not everyone would man up and say it was their own fault!

I wish your friend a speedy recovery - an a little piece of mind for you.

Good people make good things happen - you will figure out how to make things right....

Yes, there are many people (especially in the U.S.) that don't take responsibility for their actions. It's never their fault. I suppose if there were 2 different people involved, their would have been much anger and a loss of a friendship.
He actually apologized for the bad language he used following the accident. Really? I've been an aircraft mechanic for 29 years and heard about everything. That was kind of odd. Mutual respect, I guess.

it seems to me that person falls in the category of how do you not know a train is coming and out on water and cannot swim, or cleaning a loaded gun.

Dude, totally your fault.

You should feel terrible that you have no control over others. He had his hand in the wrong spot, and it's your responsibility to protect that grown man. If I were you, I'd follow him home every day to make sure he gets home safely. I sure hope you are picking him up from work as well, send your buddies up ahead to stop oncoming traffic, just in case, and NEVER drive in the rain/sleet/snow or after dark. At lunch time, you bet your bottom dollar that you should be pre-chewing his food so he doesn't choke...yep...bird style... When he wants to get intimate with a sig-fig, you keep things in control so nothing gets bent outta shape.. I hope you can't sleep at night knowing that you screwed up...BIG TIME! Way to go man, way to go.

nah it's all good, accidents happen. At least it wasn't your hand, might be tough gripping that throttle!

Stay safe my brothers.

Back