Tourmaster Transition 2 coat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ansition-Series-2-Jacket.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Currently on-sale here for $189. Matching pants avail.

I just got back from a "70+ mph" ride on the I-95 in south FL by Ft. Lauderdale Airport. When I got home I checked the electronic thermometer & saw 48 degrees F. I did NOT have the liner in, and just a long-sleeved shirt & undershirt on. I was as warm as can be.

This coat has a quilted liner & a waterproof membrane, it's loaded w/zippered vents and has lots of storm-proof pockets inside & outside. The collar has neoprene for comfort. The front zipper is hidden behind a storm flap.

Having ridden for decades, this is the best coat I have had for its purpose, and at the price is a great deal. Oh, and the armor is CE-approved & comfortable, removable, and well-positioned.

I have used it with the zippered vents open, there are multiple vents in the front & a horizontal one across the area of your scapulas which when fastened open using the clever velcro attachments which 'scoop' air into the openings, works well up to the temperature point where you would use a mesh jacket instead. Maybe low 70's degree F.

Need one like this? if you try one, you won't be disappointed. I have a one-piece fabric armored Dianese suit sold by BMW (looks kinda like an Aerostitch) and this is better-fitting (though it is only a coat) and the armor is better-fitting as well. For the price and features, I don't think you can do better.

We had a night here where it got to the 40 degree mark & I went for a ride w/the liner in & all vents closed. I stayed perfectly warm in my trunk, including back & arms, and all I used underneath was a long-sleeved shirt. I wasn't out for a 250 mi. trip, but long-enough to get cold if the coat wasn't up to the task. It was.

Another thing I wanted to mention is the reflective material, which shows-up well from whatever direction light hits it.

Here is another outlet selling it,
(http://www.goldwingcountry.com/deta...ium=cpc&utm_campaign=nextag&utm_content=25400)
I have never used them, but they do have a bunch of reviews on this. One person says, "upgrade the armor," I suppose he makes a habit of sliding along on his protective gear instead of staying on-top of the bike! Since it's already industry-standard CE-rated, I don't even know how you would "upgrade it!" Another said, "don't buy an 'upsize,'" but I did and am glad I did, but if you have 7% bodyfat that might be good advice from that reviewer. I am <6' tall/215 lb (that's about 98 kg for our European/metric system readers) & got the 'regular' XXL which fits me better than the XL did, which I could have used w/o the liner but not w/it. They also come in 'long' sizes.

I find the snaps on the sleeves to bunch the material useless as then the sleeves would be too-tight for me. I thought about getting a couple of fabric signs printed-up & putting snaps on them, with reverse-image printing on them so when someone in-front of me looked in their rear-view mirror, they would see on my sleeves, snapped to those 'excess fabric gathering points,' my signs, saying, "move over." :rofl_200:

There are many coats out there but in 40 years of buying riding apparel (my first coat & pants was a 1972 Bellstaff waxed-cotton 'Trialsmaster' suit), i have found this to be the best combination of value, features, quality, price, and safety features.

Anyone recall Hi-Bore offroad products? I have an early 1970's offroad jacket from them, no armor, but it wears like an anvil. I bought it from the guys who bought the business when it was put-up for sale, I think it may have been a liquidation. One of the guys who bought the business was a factory rider on the European motocross circuit for Bultaco, his parents were Bultaco dealers in upstate NY in the 1960's. That's when he was over there, years before the 1968+ growth in popularity of motocross, before Jim Pomeroy, who also rode for Bultaco.

This coat saved my skin from a bad fall I had on the Vmax in 2010. The armor did its job and I escaped with no scratches. Unfortunately, my Vmax died. The right sleeve got ruined by the elbow and forearm, looked chewed up. I tried contacting Tour Master to check if they could replace the entire sleeve but they would not, shame. They said I was better off buying a new coat.

I too agree it's a great fitting coat. It has great ventilation on hot days and has more pockets than you will ever need. I only had one small gripe with it though. The velcro on the neck strap always snagged the bottom of my helmet whenever I turned my head to the right. $189 is a great price.

Glad the jacket served its purpose. When you have a get-off like yours, the jacket does sacrifice itself so you are saved a world of hurt. I hope you got a replacement, I bet you did. before Christmas, Chapparral Cycle had them for $171!

When the shoulder scoops are deployed as they are designed, on the expressway it will increase your aero 'footprint,' greatly increasing drag, as one of the reviewers mentioned, but if you are on such a thoroughfare, take a moment to close them before you access the onramp, and open them again when you exit. Around town, 'not a problem!'

I see where Tourmaster is selling the version #3 of this coat, so maybe closeouts on the version II will be avail at a big discount. I still consider it to be one of the best biking-specific coats I have ever owned, going back ~40 years.

Update 5-3-12: Version 3 review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tourmaster-transition-series-3-jacket/
They say it's simply one of the best for the price, and compares favorably to more-expensive jackets. It's loaded w/useful features for motorcyclists and is far-better than anything else of lesser price, w/function and usability that make it one of webbikeworld's favorite jackets at any price.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back