• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

TRADE Delima - Advice wanted

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizzler

Reaction score
TRADE Dilemma - Advice wanted

Mods, if this is in the wrong place please move as appropriate.

I have a question about a possible max trade and would love the opinions of some of you Vmax aficionados :)

I currently have an '05 20th Anniversary Vmax (1310/2000 badge) that is in pristine condition and except for a corbin seat is 100% factory. I love my Vmax but have been tempted this week with a possible trade for a 2010 Ducati Monster 1100. The Duc is mostly stock with the exception of a couple of desired add ons i the form of a carbon fibre Termignoni exhaust (dual pipes, looks/sounds sharp), open carbon fibre clutch cover (can take or leave it :)), new tires and a nice looking steering damper. The original parts are also included with the Duc.

My riding style is slightly aggressive but not racing manner so much as I just love the grunt of these two bike love the torque and "pep" versus the top speeds and the fun factor when ripping around town and on the back roads. I also commute (50 Km round trip, 1/2 highway and 1/2 city streets)) daily during ride season here.

For what it's worth, my previous ride before the Vmax was a Suzuki TL1000S that I liked a lot as well. Also, I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada and we don't have an autobahn nor the looooong roads of California. Ours are shorter, twisty, scenic back roads. Think the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia :)

The Vmax and the Monster have always been my two favourite bikes, ever.

So, my real question for you all is, given equal love for both bikes would you go for it and trade the Vmax for the Monster?

:ummm::bang head::ummm::bang head:

Re: TRADE Dilemma - Advice wanted

Tough call, personally since it sounds like a daily driver during riding season I would opt for comfort. For me that would actually be the Vmax since I do not like the Ducati seating position. That being said you mention a lot of twisties, the Ducati would like be more enjoyable in the curves. I guess it boils down to your riding style and preferred seating position since the fun factor will be there regardless of your choice.

Equal love for both bikes looks to me like it may be time for a 2 bike stable.....:confused2:

Definitely can't fly that one past the wife :) Have a car, truck and a bike as it is... That and when the time comes and I get approval fora second bike, it will have to be a big cruiser for her and I... The Vmax is a bit too tight for two full size adults :)

I'd say it's a fair trade as far as money is concerned.

It's up to you to decide which one suits you better. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

With the Duc, ask for reciepts for its service history or other proof of its service history. Ducatis MUST be serviced as specified in the manual or serious problems will develop. If nothing can be provided proving that the manual stated services have been performed, walk away, find a different one. That being said, both have their appeal... im glad i dont have to make a decision on it(my choice would get me a divorce, lol)

A quick search showed the Duc to have a retail of $7500 USA by Kelley Blue Book for a FL dealer's asking price, so it sounds like a fair deal to do a straight-up change. Hey, you can always sell the Duc & buy another VMax if you don't like it.

When I was looking to buy a new or nearly-new bike, the Ducati current sportbike was the 851. I looked at the Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, & the 851, but I bought a 1700 mi year-old VMax from the Ft. Lauderdale FL dealer where a friend was a salesman. The other two were considerably more $$$. I don't regret my purchase.

Another bike I looked at as a used bike was a BMW K1 which was the first production BMW to break 150 mph. It had a fully-faired front wheel, and was a body designed as a full-aero package. So at the time (1993) it was the BMW K1, the Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, or the Ducati 851, all slightly-used, but it was the VMax I put my $$ out for.

You could always pick-up a used VMax not as new as the one you had for the $2500 range, and mod it or do the maintenance to make it trustworthy, though "I hear you" about the wifely involvement.

Try the Ducati and see which one you like more. Then either keep or trade. (the bike, not the wife :auto182:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies all. I'll definitely take close look at the Duc, give it a solid test ride and decide. Having Dennis, the Vmax guru 5 minutes up the road from me, it likely won't be an issue picking up a good older used Max later, see if I can sneak it in past the wife one day :)

Thanks again...

I have owned five GEN 1's and one GEN 2. I have ridden the monster. Never could get into the feeling of steering the thing by the front axel. That and the maintenance makes it a tough sell to me.

Here in Ontario, the insurance for the Duc would be almost double that of the VMax. I'm not sure how bad you get hit for insurance on the East coast but that might also be a consideration.

Mods, if this is in the wrong place please move as appropriate.

I have a question about a possible max trade and would love the opinions of some of you Vmax aficionados :)

I currently have an '05 20th Anniversary Vmax (1310/2000 badge) that is in pristine condition and except for a corbin seat is 100% factory. I love my Vmax but have been tempted this week with a possible trade for a 2010 Ducati Monster 1100. The Duc is mostly stock with the exception of a couple of desired add ons i the form of a carbon fibre Termignoni exhaust (dual pipes, looks/sounds sharp), open carbon fibre clutch cover (can take or leave it :)), new tires and a nice looking steering damper. The original parts are also included with the Duc.

My riding style is slightly aggressive but not racing manner so much as I just love the grunt of these two bike love the torque and "pep" versus the top speeds and the fun factor when ripping around town and on the back roads. I also commute (50 Km round trip, 1/2 highway and 1/2 city streets)) daily during ride season here.

For what it's worth, my previous ride before the Vmax was a Suzuki TL1000S that I liked a lot as well. Also, I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada and we don't have an autobahn nor the looooong roads of California. Ours are shorter, twisty, scenic back roads. Think the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia :)

The Vmax and the Monster have always been my two favourite bikes, ever.

So, my real question for you all is, given equal love for both bikes would you go for it and trade the Vmax for the Monster?

:ummm::bang head::ummm::bang head:
My advice is "Pass the Duck" or pass on the duc -too problematic and too costly-
I've lived 1/2 my life growing up in West Texas and the last 1/2 in California and as far as LOOOOOOONG roads I have not found any out here yet. El Paso to Midland 300 miles-Midland to Dallas 300 miles-Interstate 20-85mph speed limit.:clapping:

Latest posts

Back