Trailer bargain on Ebay

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
***CautionNOTE*** (someone can email him if they want).

With that setup the rear wheel is obviously turning. The pumpkin lubricates by the gear passing through a pool of fluid and should survive ok even though the angle will reduce the lubrication to the front bearing.

BUT, the shaft is still turning the output bearings and secondary tranmission. These bearings are designed to run with pressurized oiling. Without the engine running to keep oil pressure up this can damage those bearings requiring expensive transmission repair.

Sure they can handle some loads and some time running "dry" but they were not designed for it and will wear prematurely. No one can know for sure how long that would be without extensive testing. Who wants to volunteer 10 motorcycles (the minimum I would say) for a proper test to determine what the failure amount is?

Sean

***CautionNOTE*** (someone can email him if they want).

With that setup the rear wheel is obviously turning. The pumpkin lubricates by the gear passing through a pool of fluid and should survive ok even though the angle will reduce the lubrication to the front bearing.

BUT, the shaft is still turning the output bearings and secondary tranmission. These bearings are designed to run with pressurized oiling. Without the engine running to keep oil pressure up this can damage those bearings requiring expensive transmission repair.

Sure they can handle some loads and some time running "dry" but they were not designed for it and will wear prematurely. No one can know for sure how long that would be without extensive testing. Who wants to volunteer 10 motorcycles (the minimum I would say) for a proper test to determine what the failure amount is?

Sean

I was thinking along the same lines Sean. It is kinda like towing a car or truck that needs the driveline removed when towing. Because the engine needs to be running to make the tranny pump lube the front part of the tranny!....

one2dmax;222753 Who wants to volunteer 10 motorcycles (the minimum I would say) for a proper test to determine what the failure amount is? Sean[/QUOTE said:
It ain't gonna be me Sean. You know me. I go with a full trailer or pull the whole garage when I go.

I just got a kick out of the ad because it pictured a Vmax loaded on it, and thought it worth sharing. I hope it's no one on this forum selling the product, cause I wouldn't want to offend. Perhaps it would be handy for very short distances in an emergency situation.

definitely. you could always pop out the driveshaft quick and plug the cog it goes into.

i coudl see this being useful for me towing my dirtbike the 4-5 miles down to the trails.

I would use it in an emergency , rather than leave it on the road . Trouble is , I wouldn't carry it around on my trailer . LOL

:rofl_200:No way I would do that ,,,,,just someone's idea they thought they could get rich selling ,,,what a joke!!!!

That just looks sketchy. Bit of rough pavement, car hits a pothole, I can just see the rear tire of the bike getting air and bouncing all over the road. One of the straps comes loose and the front end slips a bit, over goes the bike getting dragged down the road on it's side.

I know my 4x4 truck says to put the transfer box in N when towing to prevent transmission damage....the t-case pumps lube from the driveshaft's motion, whereas the transmission needs the engine running.

"We have not received any reports from our consumers with regards to any problems associated with the Slick Wheelie and shaft-driven motorcycles. But know that some shaft-driven motorcycles use a lubrication pump that requires that the motor be running in order for it to work properly. Should you have any doubt or concern about your specific model, please contact your motorcycle manufacturer, authorized mechanic or dealer."

So in other words, nobody's complained yet, therefore not a problem.

definitely. you could always pop out the driveshaft quick and plug the cog it goes into.

i coudl see this being useful for me towing my dirtbike the 4-5 miles down to the trails.

Yes, that trail bike short-trip use, OK; or emergency tow to get your bike home, if it's not too-far..., but don't those trailer hitch-mount, parallel-to-the-bumper bike carriers in their heavy-duty versions accept > 600 lb?

I have considered using a Hitchmaster 2" receiver plate on either side of the bumper hitch to make a "3-point" attachment for a ramp/rack of that type (parallel-to-the-bumper bike carrier). Or, how-about using only one extra 2" receiver female on the right side as that is where the heaviest part of the bike would be, assuming you load it onto the parallel to the bumper channel from the right?

i think the strongest one they make is a 500 lb one readily available, maybe not. either way my hitch can only hold 400 lbs, plus i have a spare on the back (zr2 blazer) so it'd stick out even further making the weight even more..

You guys have it all wrong, this contraption is made for the bike to push the suv in emergency situations, although steering may be a bit rough.

They call themselves "The Original"? I made almost exactly the same thing back in the late '60s to haul my CB77 Honda 305cc Super Hawk when I moved from NorCal to San Diego. We used clip-style master links back then, so to prevent turning the transmission gears, I just removed the chain for the trip.

That thing scares me but anyone have the trailer in a bag type one?

Hey Tom,

Remember my buddy we went riding with the CBR? He came over my house with the trailer in a bag single bike setup. They are indeed very nice and sturdy from what I have seen! I would buy one in a heartbeat for sure....

As to this ebay scenario.....NO WAY!!! I value my ride far too much to trust a setup like that, flat bed it or its a no go!

Just my 2 cents....

You guys have it all wrong, this contraption is made for the bike to push the suv in emergency situations, although steering may be a bit rough.

OH MY HELL! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
G

Latest posts

Back