Trailer Hitches

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxist

Reaction score
Has anyone used a Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch? I just came off vacation towing my 32' travel trailer and I'm planning to travel out west next year and thinking of purchasing. If you have one do they really reduce the trailer sway as they claim?

The BEST way to reduce sway and eliminate fish-tailing is to go 5th-wheel or goose-neck. If your hitch point is directly over the rear axle, it can't move sideways. If you have a pull-behind, there are things which can help, but nothing will truly eliminate the inherent instability.

Actually there are several factors t the sway issue. How you have the trailer, too much tongue weight or too little will dramatically have an effect on how the trailer acts. That also will directly tie to maximum allowed tongue weight your towing vehicle can handle. Now that comes from suspension size and what can handle. I have also come across it is hard to pull a trailer even with experience under your belt if your front end on your rig is worn out, loose steering box etc. Now with a fifth wheel it also affects your towing stability along with tires that do not have a high number of plies. Sure they pull nice but when towing some weight you can still get sway in your side walls. The next best step is go with a dually! With good tires and front end, then you are living a dream until you figure out that you have to plan every move and where to park your beast. I know I have 40' triple axle trailer and it is fun and pulls like a dream but is a pain to park for a burger lol

A fifth wheel is out for me, with 3 dogs and 3 kids I need more room in the vehicle. I have an 04 Ford Excursion with the 6.0L diesel which is based off the F250 platform.

A fifth wheel is out for me, with 3 dogs and 3 kids I need more room in the vehicle. I have an 04 Ford Excursion with the 6.0L diesel which is based off the F250 platform.

Air bags for you would be ideal, pump them up with an on board pump to what you need. :punk:

G

I'm running a standard weight distribution hitch with 500-800lb bars. I also have a sway control friction bar. I just bought a set of air bags for the rear suspension and will try them out on my next trip in Aug.

I also have a sway control friction bar

OK thanks I was curious whether you were running friction sway right now. I can't really comment how much better the Hensley or Proride systems will be compared to your current setup but they sure aren't cheap! I run an Equal-i-zer brand hitch setup for around $500 that incorporates w/d and friction sway functions and I can verify it works very well once set up correctly.

Back