Trailer loading?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax2extreme

Reaction score
I have a friend with a 5 x 10 open trailer. Can two vmax's fit on this with tie downs and no front tire chucks to travel several hours in tow? Debating whether to borrow this from a friend to tow up my friend and my vmax's to Thunder instead of riding them. Not a big deal to ride, but figure why not just two so we can bring more essentials with us.

If you have enough tie down points you might squeeze them in I think Mike. I'm looking at my 5 by 8 and think I could do it. Be tight though.
Steve

maybe one facing forward, one facing back?

Damon F. (not even going to try to spell it!:biglaugh:) has a 5'x8.5' and he said he can fit his fazer and max into it with some work. I think there is a post on the VMOA website that is discussing trailer sizes and vehicles pulling them.
Damon was at the SIB last year with his trailer, he mentioned if he were to get another trailer he would get one that had more head room and 1' wider.

Sounds like we just might be riding up after all instead. I need to go look at the trailer and see how it looks. I figured with an open trailer, there is more room to get them loaded up. Would be nicer to haul them up, but I dont mind doing the entire ride to and from also.

I would go to Home Depot and buy (2) 50 ft. rolls of nylon rope, find the best way bikes will fit on trailer , and start tyeing them down at every point I could find and you should be able to get them there safely. I would use all 50 ft. of rope if I could, it would look like a spider web when I got thru tyeing them down.......

If it has a good enough gate on the back you could face one front and one back, offset a little.

I have a 5x10 & haul 2 Maxs on it all the time. I even had a max & an old 74 motoguzi with bid saddlebags & case gaurds that was a little tight but had no problems.

Did you have both facing forward or opposite ends each? I use ratchet tie downs, two on each end of the bike and put the bike in gear so it doesnt move either.

Tight is ok, just want to make sure before I go through the trouble of borrowing my friends trailer for the weekend.

Thanks for the info!!!

Did you have both facing forward or opposite ends each? I use ratchet tie downs, two on each end of the bike and put the bike in gear so it doesnt move either.

Tight is ok, just want to make sure before I go through the trouble of borrowing my friends trailer for the weekend.

Thanks for the info!!!
I load them on both forward with no problems & I also use 4 ratchet straps on each one of the bike's Before I had chocks on the trailer I would also wrap a strap around the front rim & one of the uprights on my trailer just to keep the bars from trying to turn.

Hey, wheel chocks are cheap! Harbor Freight has them on special from time to time.

You can also bend a piece of rebar to meet the width of your wheel & weld a pair of straps to the underside w/mounting holes. Using a gas ax to get it malleable 1st & a big piece of pipe as a mandrel for your bends would be best if you want the home-grown variety.

I just bought a Moose & a Pingel, on-sale & use a <5' w. trailer.

My last trailer was great, 13" wheels, aluminum diamond-plate deck, Pingel chock. Evidently someone else thought so too, as it was stolen from my yard (yes, it was secured). I made it from a Rocket boat trailer.

Word of advice, check the load rating of your straps, many are barely suitable for the job. Think to yourself-"is this a piece of equipment on which I want to cheap-out? How much damage will it do if the bike falls-off or topples?"

I have a friend with a 5 x 10 open trailer. Can two vmax's fit on this with tie downs and no front tire chucks to travel several hours in tow? Debating whether to borrow this from a friend to tow up my friend and my vmax's to Thunder instead of riding them. Not a big deal to ride, but figure why not just two so we can bring more essentials with us.

You should be able to pull it off, I've had my drag bike and a friend's bike on my old open snowmachine trailer. It was about 5x10. Would take it to Tok (120m) and Palmer (310m) to go racing. We put a hunk of 6x6 under his and a 4x4 under mine, about 2' long each. It held up great, Just mind the tie downs along the trip.

Back