Trailer Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
Ok......big road trip coming up (big for me). About 1500 miles round trip.

I put 2 new tires on my 7' x 8' flat bed open trailer (4.00 x 4.80 x 8"). Beads wouldn't seal so I put in tubes. Tires say Max Load of 750lbs @ 90PSI.

Question One: For Max Load I multiply 750lbs x 2 tires for 1500lbs total? I'm only bringing Max and a box full of accessories so maybe 625 + 100 lbs....Plenty of margin?

Question Two: I'm not really running these things at 90lbs (got 30lbs in them at the moment). What is the correct tire pressure w/tubes? Somewhere between 35 & 90? Probably run them about 50lbs?

If you don't run the rated pressures then the load is reduced. An 8" tire seems a bit small. Does a 12" tire/wheel fit, or better-yet, a 13"? I am not a tire expert but the larger diameter will slow the speed of the wheel, and reduce the likelihood of overheating. You should carry two spares. Tires should seal assuming the tires are tubeless unless there is some incompatibility between your wheels and tires. Running tubes in tubeless tires I believe will also reduce your load rating. Sounds like you have two strikes against you, tires that don't fit correctly and small wheels in the summer w/tubes inside tubeless tires. The tire needs to be able to get rid of heat from their flexing as they rotate, and the tube won't allow as-efficient a heat transfer to occur. This is only my opinion.

I'd try to get a bigger wheel/tire combo in there w/tires that are properly-fitted to the wheels.

I also agree w/my friend "alorio1." Add the trailer weight.

Trailer weight plus load weight minus tongue weight. Tongue weight should be about 10% of trailer weight for the trailer to tow properly. Too little tongue weight can cause the trailer to wiggle. Depending on the tow vehicle too much tongue weight can affect the handling. Under-inflated tires cannot dissipate heat properly. Safe trip. Evan.

As Fire-Medic said, I believe an 8" wheel is too small for a long highway trip. It would be fine for short trips at lower speeds, like 45 mph or so, but prolonged highway speeds would be very likely to overheat the bearings, even at well under the max load rating. I would recommend a change to a minimum of 12" wheels to be safer.

I've towed many atv's on my little 8" tires on my el cheapo 4x8, at interstate speeds. Sunday I just finished a 700 mile round trip to the mountains with a utility atv on behind my monte carlo running 75-80. I have towed my little trailer well over 1500 miles on a round trip. I think the key is keeping the bearings a little loose and greased well, and the tire pressure a little lower than recommendation. I run 65 psi in mine. My thinking is that those little tires heat up more, as do the bearings.

I have had a bearing failure on a short trip, i think the bearings were too tight. Luckily there was a close by store I could limp to and get a new bearing set. Since then, when I take mine on long trips I take a bearing set, they are cheap and you can change them with no more than a pair of channel locks if you have to .

I've towed many atv's on my little 8" tires on my el cheapo 4x8, at interstate speeds. Sunday I just finished a 700 mile round trip to the mountains with a utility atv on behind my monte carlo running 75-80. I have towed my little trailer well over 1500 miles on a round trip. I think the key is keeping the bearings a little loose and greased well, and the tire pressure a little lower than recommendation. I run 65 psi in mine. My thinking is that those little tires heat up more, as do the bearings.

I have had a bearing failure on a short trip, i think the bearings were too tight. Luckily there was a close by store I could limp to and get a new bearing set. Since then, when I take mine on long trips I take a bearing set, they are cheap and you can change them with no more than a pair of channel locks if you have to .

I've run around for years too with no problems....I also just put in new bearings and took it to work today for a shakedown run of two 50 mile legs at 75 mph and everything was normally warm. So far so good.....Iwas planning to bring a spare set of bearings with me too...good call.....and a spare tube.

I assume you only changed out the inside guts. You didn't replace the outer race with channel locks........

Back