train horn or other frighteningly loud horn?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• Air horn 001 (Large).jpg
    Air horn 001 (Large).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Air horn 002 (Large).jpg
    Air horn 002 (Large).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Air horn 003 (Large).jpg
    Air horn 003 (Large).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Air horn 004 (Large).jpg
    Air horn 004 (Large).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Air horn 005 (Large).jpg
    Air horn 005 (Large).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Air horn 006 (Large).jpg
    Air horn 006 (Large).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 111
I had one like that. people actually jumped in their cars seats when I hit the Horn Button. It's Loud, High Pitched and Very Annoying to Cagers.:biglaugh:

I simply went the car route - mounted a pair of AR80's (used in most american cars) in the engine guards and wired through a relay.

The relay is a must - you get way better voltage than going through the horn button and back, and it makes a big loudness different to any horn.

The AR80s are readily available at any car shop such as Pep Boys or Advance for about $30.

If you want a truck/train horn, you will need horn trumpets and an air compressor. Also available in car/truck accessory shops. Two problems though:
- voltage/power; these things are hungry and Max's charging system is a bit weak
- space; where will you mount it, especially the compressor bit?

TBH, my AR80s are loud as hell. Imagine a dual car horn outside the usual engine compartment..

You'll need to wire a relay to get what you are asking for. I have this:

http://www.ridesafer.com/Stebel_Nautilus_Compact_Air_Horn_p/h0014-cah.htm

I can vouch for this Stebel horn since I have owned 3 of them for all my vmax's. This horn gets rid of your wimpy beep beep and gives you a big deep robust blast of a horn! Its 139db packed into this small powerhouse. I run supertrapps wide open and I can hear them crystal clear at high RPM's. This is truely the best horn for your money and its all packed into a small enclosure. You can seperate the horn from the air canister for even better mounting options. If your running COPS, you can put the air canister under your seat allowing you more mounting options for the horn itself.

+1 on Stebel horns! Got one on the Roadstar, and it really is a crowd pleaser!
You absolutely need to wire this or any high amp horn through a relay.
I had a 1976 XS650 back in the day, and I installed a set of air horns on it without using a relay. I melted the horn button from the current that tried to pass through the button.

Heavy wires right to the battery, and a relay are the only way to go.

The decibel ratings are misleading at best....139db is loud enough to cause immediate, permanent hearing damage. Check out this writeup about mcycle horns..
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm

Car horns are the way to go. Cheap, widely available, and compact. Thinking about swapping for those. The p/o installed the Fiamm "freeway blasters", and the only blast from them is disappointment. They're better than the stock "meep meep" horn, but not by much. At 75 on the highway, I can barely hear them on the bike, so I doubt anyone in a cage could either. WBW tested them only at a measly 85 decibels....a far cry from the claimed 130.

I have a pair of Hella Supertones in the Subaru, and I am thinking about for the bike now. Disc type horns that are...ahem...Hella loud.

Brian

You really don't need anything louder than the Stebel Nautilus. I have one on mine (stole the idea from Maleko89. Thanks sexy!) and its MORE than loud enough. I still jump when I hit mine, and they are fairly inexpensive.

The decibel ratings are misleading at best....139db is loud enough to cause immediate, permanent hearing damage. Check out this writeup about mcycle horns..
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm

Car horns are the way to go. Cheap, widely available, and compact. Thinking about swapping for those. The p/o installed the Fiamm "freeway blasters", and the only blast from them is disappointment. They're better than the stock "meep meep" horn, but not by much. At 75 on the highway, I can barely hear them on the bike, so I doubt anyone in a cage could either. WBW tested them only at a measly 85 decibels....a far cry from the claimed 130.

I have used the Stebel Nautilus on 3 vmax's so far and they are the BEST horns for motorcycles. Small compact and very robust sounds. This write-up is a bias review and I beg to differ! I have NEVER had any issues from the initial setup henceforth! Perhaps they received a bad egg in the batch? My 3 horns work like champs and I will always recommend these to anyone looking for a robust VERY LOUD horn. As I have stated before, I run wide open supertrapps and I can hear them just fine at high RPM's with a full helmet on.

Just my 2 cents....

Just so you know, I heard a Stebel wired through the horn button last year, and it was no better than the OEM horn! Definitely MUST be wired through a relay to get the full power from the battery.

Just so you know, I heard a Stebel wired through the horn button last year, and it was no better than the OEM horn! Definitely MUST be wired through a relay to get the full power from the battery.

Definitely if you get this horn, buy the wiring kit that comes with the relay. Everyone jumps when I fire my horn. I'm planning on doing a writeup for the fall vboost on this.

Try J C Whitney catalog horn. Catalog #AAE013197P it is advertised at 125 db and plugs into existing wiring. pretty much plug and play. Does not look to bad either. I am running this horn on my 85 max and it beats the hell out of the stock road runner horn. JC whitney .com:surprise:

fixed it for ya. could u do a video side by side comparison?

I got tired of my bike's wimpy horn; a muscle bike needs a muscular sounding horn, so I replaced mine with a pair of Fiamm hi and low tone horns. Both are mounted just ahead of the engine guards and are so much louder than the stock horn.

Last edited:
Back