Transmission Rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mista_max

Reaction score
Winter is poking it's head so that means .... project time for the MAX. Main problem right now is first/second gear popping in neutral. Thinking of doing the work myself and wanted second opinion on complexity. Found a lot on info online but was wondering if there is a step by step tutorial out there.

tks

Max

PM Damon Ferraiuolo -- (thanks for spelling it right, Eric) but DAMON is his name on here, and buy his video. It will walk you through the whole thing. I did my work with Sean at his shop. Having done it once, I could probably do it again, but there are some little tricks to it that will make things easier. The choice to do it yourself should also be heavily influenced by your handiness with mechanical stuff. It's really not that bad, though. Mostly time consuming.

Sean does have a list of how to pull the motor posted on here somewhere that will make that part a lot easier.

I read that Morley and other rebuild guides/directions replace more parts..

i.e. engine mounts.....5th gear as well?

I need to do this to my 1985..... hoping to gather up all the good info, get the parts and do this rebuild properly.....

If you buy Sean's overdrive transmission (with or without undercut gears) you will get a 5th gear from a Royal Star Venture. You'd only replace engine mounts if you wanted to. If you just need to replace 2nd and 5th gear, you can order gears from Yamaha and do it yourself. If you're going to take the whole thing out and apart, you might as well do some other insurance upgrades (HD oiler from Sean or PCW).

Someone else will chime in with more info, I'm sure.

If you buy Sean's overdrive transmission (with or without undercut gears) you will get a 5th gear from a Royal Star Venture. You'd only replace engine mounts if you wanted to. If you just need to replace 2nd and 5th gear, you can order gears from Yamaha and do it yourself. If you're going to take the whole thing out and apart, you might as well do some other insurance upgrades (HD oiler from Sean or PCW).

Someone else will chime in with more info, I'm sure.

I don't suggest putting in the Royal Star 5th gears as is anymore. We do additional undercut work to make them mate properly with the stock gears. If you do the gear replacement yourself (without undercutting from us) then I would suggest stock gears.

Latest posts

Back