Tread direction

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a question regarding tread direction. I’m on my 3rd set of shinco tires. They are good tires for a short time, they do not last long.
That being said my recent set the tread on the front is going the opposite direction as the previous front tire.
The last set has both the front and rear tread going the same direction which makes sense to me. Seems the tread direction is to force water away from the center of the tire, correct?The newest set has the front tread going in the opposite direction as the rear.
So should the tread be going in opposite direction front to back or the same direction? 77A8710A-DA6E-4C33-A398-B148B9E7B24A.jpeg

I have run into similar situations before where it did not seem correct with one tires tread but was assured by the manufacturer (not just a local dealer) that it was ok.

I noticed that also a couple of years ago. I mounted them as directed and have had no issues.

Thank you for the feedback. I did some more research and found that the tread should run opposite front to back. Due to the forces of braking that’s why the front tread runs opposite of the rear.
I did want to emphasize my concern with the shinko tires. The picture shows two front tires (exact same shinko tires) with the directional arrow going different directions. That with the decreased life on the rear tire. I got about 4000 miles on the first, about 3700 on second set and less then 3400 on this last one before the good was all gone.
The middle of the rear tire flattens out so quickly kind of causing a bit of a transition feeling when really getting into a corner.
It seems like they have changed how there made or maybe just poor quality control.
I had the metzler 880’s on when I got the the bike. I liked them well enough. But just to cover my bases just put on a set of the commanders to see how they do.

I'm running Michelin Commander II's on my Gen. 1 and am happy with them so far. About 2k miles.

Thank you for the feedback. I did some more research and found that the tread should run opposite front to back. Due to the forces of braking that’s why the front tread runs opposite of the rear.
I did want to emphasize my concern with the shinko tires. The picture shows two front tires (exact same shinko tires) with the directional arrow going different directions. That with the decreased life on the rear tire. I got about 4000 miles on the first, about 3700 on second set and less then 3400 on this last one before the good was all gone.
The middle of the rear tire flattens out so quickly kind of causing a bit of a transition feeling when really getting into a corner.
It seems like they have changed how there made or maybe just poor quality control.
I had the metzler 880’s on when I got the the bike. I liked them well enough. But just to cover my bases just put on a set of the commanders to see how they do.
Remember the shinkos are a softer compound, and stickier tire. 3500 is great for the price. I have found after wearing through the softer compound, it does start to get hard , slick and glazed the last third of the thread. I do a burnout with my now hard compound pirelli routes and my underside is clean, withe the shinkos, I'll have rubber all over my backside and under the fender for months.
I run the diablo rosso on my fz1, 1 week and 1700 miles up in the twists and they are toast.

Back