Tread size main oil gallery plug?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenuwlijer

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the correct thread size of the main oil gallery plug? I'm guessing it would be M20 x 1.5, but I need to be 100% sure. Don't want to destroy the oil gallery's inner thread.

Thanks in advance.

If you're talking about the plug under the waterpump where you connect an oil pressure gauge then you are correct with the 20x1.5 as that is the size of adapter we get for the oil pressure gauge kits we've sold.

Thanks. :cool:

I've bought an adapter from KOSO a while ago, but it has the wrong outer thread (M20 x 1.0).

So now I need to find an aluminium or brass plug and drill a hole in it so I can tap 1/8 NPT. That's the size of the temperature sensor.

In the deep recesses of my mind I seem to think there is a Kawasaki (?) bolt that fits and can be drilled to accept an adapter.
Sorry but can't find the part number.

You can get the adapter with M20x1.5 with 1/8th NPT and be ready to go. No drilling/tapping required. I probably have some one hand.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I've ordered a bolt yesterday and hope it'll fit. If not... ==> Kawasaki bolt.:D

Edit: I will use yours if the one I ordered doesn't fit.

No worries about the hi-jack, can't help you myself though.

I've got some sort of a solution myself for the adapter. Not sure if the o-ring will hold. It's impossible to find a good washer. They're all too small in outer diameter.

IMG_20181128_173153.jpg

Hi Sean, @one2dmax

Can you post a picture of the adaptor you have in stock? I think I'll need one, as my "solution" didn't work. It leaks. I expected as much, but hey.. If you don't try, you've got nothing.

These are the adaptors I already have. The blue one would be my favourite, but it has the wrong thread. Also both adaptors won't take the sensor as a whole. It will only screw in for about 50%. Really don't know why, as they both should take 1/8 NTP and that's the thread size of the sensor.

IMG_20181130_101141.jpg IMG_20181130_101149.jpg IMG_20181130_101231.jpg IMG_20181130_101216.jpg IMG_20181130_101155.jpg

NPT is pipe thread (National Pipe thread). As such they are a tapered threaded hole. So, the further they go in the tighter they get. Your picture of the brass one is what i'd expect to be normal penetration but the other is likely OK too. The other end (going into the engine) is standard thread and is the same diameter all the way. That's why it requires something to "seat" against and a gasket if you need it to seal up. Ours is very similar to your blue one. I'm away for another week before I could send you info or pics. Best to email me at [email protected]

Does the gasket from the blue one not seal up for the brass one?

Okay... I didn't know that (NTP explanation).

So if I'm understanding correctly, the sensor needs to be seated firmly into the adaptor and doesn't need any seal whatsoever, because of the tapered threading?

As for your question about the gasket...

The brass adaptor doesn't have the integrated ring to it. So if I use the gasket, it doesn't seat well.

If yours does have it, like my blue one, I'll go with yours.

The Kawasaki drain plug is P/N 92001-1183
It is NOT drilled/tapped
It IS machined to accept an O-ring and seals against the block quite well.

In the deep recesses of my mind I seem to think there is a Kawasaki (?) bolt that fits and can be drilled to accept an adapter.
Sorry but can't find the part number.

You can buy a plug off the fleabay with correct thread, and also the 1/8 in the center for the oil line. Exhaust temp sensor adapter, in the search bar and you’ll find plenty of them

Back