Tried new starter, still Only starts sporadically

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
Ok, got the new starter from Sean, put it in and Vroom started right up!!! Yeah!!! Then shut it off and it started a few more times and I mean milliseconds after hitting the start button. Then WTF!!!!!!! it cranks and cranks but wont fire!! What would cause this fucking thing to only start if it fires right up if it cranks more than 1 second it can crank all day and won't fire!! This thing is gonna put me in a fucking mental institution!!!!! I have the parts on loaner from Sean, any suggestions on what to swap out first. I know it's gonna be something simple or stupid but I'm willing to try anything. If I don't get this resolved soon I'm gonna lose it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Ed

Man, I'm sorry all I can do is help keep your thread active in hope that someone will see it.

Good Luck....

Ok, got the new starter from Sean, put it in and Vroom started right up!!! Yeah!!! Then shut it off and it started a few more times and I mean milliseconds after hitting the start button. Then WTF!!!!!!! it cranks and cranks but wont fire!! What would cause this fucking thing to only start if it fires right up if it cranks more than 1 second it can crank all day and won't fire!! This thing is gonna put me in a fucking mental institution!!!!! I have the parts on loaner from Sean, any suggestions on what to swap out first. I know it's gonna be something simple or stupid but I'm willing to try anything. If I don't get this resolved soon I'm gonna lose it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Ed

Im voting for pickup coil signal missing :)

Prez, you say pickup coil signal? Which part is that that needs replaced or how would I test it?

Your 92 has one pickup coil. The test is simple and you need an ohm meter.
Whole operation is showed quite good in service manual, pages 7-23 till 28.

You will find the connector under the driver's seat.

I have found that pickup wires have crimps on them.
Crimps are located near clutch sleeve cylunder/left footpeg assembly.

In two cases i found these crimps were full of green and the signal was not clear/strong enough. That was the couse of ingnition problems back then and suprisley ohm meter showed that they're good.

It will not hurt to check that.
You need to dissconect the pickup cable, trim the outer insulation and see if there's anythig bad there.
If those shitty crimps are dirt and full of green just cut them out and solder the wires.

You need to get yorself at least one heat shrink piece, about 1/2" ID.

Your 92 has one pickup coil. The test is simple and you need an ohm meter.
Whole operation is showed quite good in service manual, pages 7-23 till 28.

You will find the connector under the driver's seat.

I have found that pickup wires have crimps on them.
Crimps are located near clutch sleeve cylunder/left footpeg assembly.

In two cases i found these crimps were full of green and the signal was not clear/strong enough. That was the couse of ingnition problems back then and suprisley ohm meter showed that they're good.

It will not hurt to check that.
You need to dissconect the pickup cable, trim the outer insulation and see if there's anythig bad there.
If those shitty crimps are dirt and full of green just cut them out and solder the wires.

You need to get yorself at least one heat shrink piece, about 1/2" ID.

Prez, thanks for the response, I only have an online manual, if the info is on there I'll check it out and try that. Theres that left side wiring again, I'm gonna bet my issue is in that area so I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again brother, Ed

No problem Ed, my pleasure to help.
Just let us know about the results :)

The next thingy in the list would be the starting circut relay and its all harness.
This relay is located under the left scoop, right aside the sigal relay.

Ed,
I am having close to the same problem with my 95. If it doesn't start right away i can crank all day, but I have found out that if I let up on the start button it will fire. In other words if I presss on it lightly just before the starter disengauges it will fire, sometimes. So I am going to check the cranking voltage and then the pickup. Let me know how you checked yours. Has anyone else had this problem with their starter switch?

I have read about that exact same problem on here! I believe it is pretty common. Can't remember what the cause was though. I believe it was Sean that stated the fix.

A battery can be bad and still crank the bike over well enough to not let you think it is. That's where i'd start checking. Jump starting them can at least eliminate that from the equation.

Latest posts

Back