Triple tree top mis-thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hey folks:

Like a dimwit, I mis-threaded a top nut on a project I'm doing to my 1986 FZX700 Fazer (I put YZF750 USD forks and an altered triple tree on it).

Anyway, now the threads at the very top part of the triple tree are beyond rescue (I think), and somehow I still need to to rescue them!

Can I:

a) Use a different kind of Helicoil that I haven't seen? (One that goes OVER a bolt rather than INTO a drilled-out bolt recepticle)

b) Re-thread the top of the triple tree to accept a Harley-type top not?

or something else?

Thanks folks!

Elimax

Pictures may help us help you..

It sounds like it's a pole thread rather than a hole thread you need to redo?

If so, usually the only way would be to use the next size down dye, but I guess you'd also need to re-machine the pole to the correct size, which may not be so easy. Unless you have some serious hand tools skills of course..

Can you just replace the stem? I would look for a replacement..that's one part you don't want to fail

Regarding getting a replacement....the tough part is that the stock stem tube from the YZF750 was too long, so I had to remove that and insert a stem from the FZX700...

...So, if I do it again, I'll really want to buy another YZF750 triple tree, take the stem out, and replace it with another FZX700 stem.

I thought that if fixing the one I've already got was do-able, I'd do it. But if it's not safe, I'll just redo the whole thing.

Thanks.

Elimax

Back