Triumph Rocket III

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxviewnet

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have had my eye on the Triumph Rocket III for a possible stable mate for my Vmax. Anyone have one or have any personal knowledge on the bike? My wife would like something with a little more comfort on longer trips and I don't want to give up the performance of the Vmax. Also better fuel range would be good. I rode one today in Spartanburg and was very impressed with the performance but it is a totally different beast to ride. Torque across the entire powerband like a freightliner or a tractor. Any thoughts from anyone?

If you're not 6'+ I think you'll find the seat ergos very uncomfortable. I tried one and am a bit under 6' but the tank and seat made me realize this was not something I could enjoy, whatever the engine characteristics.

I noticed the sitting position was a little off, however the handlebars on this bike were adjusted further back than the original stock ones. My main concern was my feet wanting to find the pegs closer to me as they would be on the Vmax. I am just under 6' also and it seemed either a stretch or just being new to that position. It would take a while to get accustomed to it for sure. Jury is definitely still out on this one. Thanks for your input FireMedic. You are spot on as usual.

I rode one the first year they came out, first notable thing was obviously assloads of torque, easy acceleration, low redline, decent quality. I'm ~6,1 and I found it comfortable, and very powerful. At the time I rode it I was already on a Triumph Sprint ST, which was the best all around bike I had ever owned to date, and most trouble free. A III wont scream the way the Vmax does, all that fury comes on strong and early so it cruises with no effort at all, I mean none.

I have noticed that the handful of (Hinkley era) Triumph bikes I have ridden all felt so well sorted that they stand in stark contrast to the Triumph cars and bikes of the past with regards to build quality and reliability. I got 85k trouble free miles out of my Sprint and was delighted the whole time. I would own and/or recomend a Triumph anytime to anyone.

The seating position is different than the Vmax so one just has to be tried. Reach to the bars IIRC was further than many cruisers but different bars and adjustments are possible if you have less reach. Just in case you ever get used to the torque and want more there are head/cam packages out there to boost power significantly, and even turbo kids if your totally off your rocker. I would definitely own one myself so if it feels right when you ride it I would say go for it. If you like torque, this is indisputably a damn fine way to get it.

My .02

Undeniably a bike w/an engine the same size or larger than the British sports cars those of us baby boomers who were familiar with BMC/British Leyland's brands in the 1960's drove or rode-in will look upon the 2.3 litre engine with wonder. Bug-eye Sprites, MG Midgets, MG-B's and even Austin-Healy's were smaller-engined than this colossus of displacement on two wheels. The VW beetles so-frequently found on college campuses in the 1960's and '70's were roughly half the displacement of the Rocket III. Yes, it's got torque, and if you want insane amounts of HP from a cruiser, call Matt Capri and order his Rotrex supercharger http://www.triumphperformanceusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=195
to end up with more HP than a Desmosedici Ducati, Hyabusa, or a Yamaha R1.

I've got a friend who had one for a few years, so I had the chance to put miles on it. There was a ton of power, the bike ran 100mph effortlessly.. His bike had numerous electrical gremlins, so he traded it in on a Thunderbird 1600. That's a nice bike!

Thanks for the great info guys. Ths is why I enjoy this forum so much. I am gonna consider the one I rode yesterday. It was a 2005 and had about all the whistles and bells offered by Triumph. The owner has also worked out the electrical gremlins with some aftermarket products. Has about 20k on the bike and asking $5500. I think that is a reasonable asking price. He just bought a new Moto Guzzi Norge 8V that he is taking delivery on soon so he may take a little less, lol.

Back