Trouble Starting 2001 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bboy5818

Reaction score
Hi,
I have cleaned the carbs and changed the plugs of a 2001 Vmax that sat for 10 years. I can get the bike running and it runs great once its been started. It also starts right up if its warm. The problem I am having is with cold starts. In order to get it started cold I usually have to prime it by shooting a little gas in the air intake. Have you seen this problem before? Any help, advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Bill

Add some seafoam to the gas tank, about a third of a bottle and look up the pea shooter and shotgun threads on the forum. It would probably help to pull the carbs and give em a good cleaning and sync them when you put em back on. Might have had some funk come through after ther first cleaning. Probably wouldnt hurt to get a new fuel filter too.

sounds like its a fuel pump issue or prime. Have you tried removing the fuel line going to carbs and turning the key on?

Fuel pump is working, I checked that. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I will double check the fuel line to with it disconnected from the carbs.

Add some seafoam to the gas tank, about a third of a bottle and look up the pea shooter and shotgun threads on the forum. It would probably help to pull the carbs and give em a good cleaning and sync them when you put em back on. Might have had some funk come through after ther first cleaning. Probably wouldnt hurt to get a new fuel filter too.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am hoping to avoid having to pull and clean the carbs again. I may try the peashooter into the carbs and seafoam in the gas tank. I also have a friend who has vacuum gauges to sync the carbs. Hopefully all that will help. Cheers

Choke lever activates the choke plungers on each carb. Hopefully all the linkage is hooked up correctly and plungers are moving as designed. Do you have a shop manual? If not, microfiche is available on line for a closer look.

You have a few Vmaxers close to you that may be able to help if you want it.

Hey, thanks. I have learned that if I keep the throttle held about a 1/4 when starting it cold with the choke it helps. Also noticed that one exhaust header is much hotter than the other oone. Is that normal?

Hey, thanks. I have learned that if I keep the throttle held about a 1/4 when starting it cold with the choke it helps. Also noticed that one exhaust header is much hotter than the other oone. Is that normal?

No, all the exhaust headers should be about the same temp.

No, all the exhaust headers should be about the same temp.
Any thoughts on what could be causing one to run much hotter than the other. For example, one I can't touch without getting burnt and the other one i can keep my hand on indefinitely. This is after the bike has been riden for over a half hour. I touch the header right near the exhaust manifold.

Well if the a/F ratio is too lean....it will actually cause that cylinder to run hotter...an a/F that's too rich will burn cooler.

Choke lever activates the choke plungers on each carb. Hopefully all the linkage is hooked up correctly and plungers are moving as designed. Do you have a shop manual? If not, microfiche is available on line for a closer look.
The choke lever is activating the plungers on all four carbs.

I would think that if you add fuel to the air intake and it starts and then it also starts when warm that it is just simply to lean.
Also there is no way you should be able to keep your hand on, or even touch the header pipe after even a few minutes of riding. My bike runs on the cool side of the temp gauge even today in 87 degree weather and you'd get a blister with any contact on the header pipe. That cylinder may not be firing at all, you me be running on 3 cylinders. Just get it started and then pull the spark plug lead off of the plug while the bike is running and see if it changes or stays the same. If it stays the same, something is wrong with that cylinder, maybe the plug, lead, coil, no fuel in that carb etc...

Let's start with something simple......did you sync the carbs after you cleaned them?

Back