Tuneboy or Guru, the bigger gas tank question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepnluc

Reaction score
Good morning,

My 2010 has an Akro pipe with the X-pipe and baffles removed. I also moded the air box by removing the plastic restrictor and added a K&N filter.

My current setup uses a power commander 3 and I can say that I have suffered with a bad tune for a long time now. My bike dies at idle at times, pops a lot when decelerating and has a pretty choppy throttle that makes it challenging to keep a given speed. Tends to make me drive "a gear up" a lot.

Since I live in Northern Florida, I contacted Guru 3 times so far with questions on what Tune fits my bike's set up and whether I could simply drive to their place to do the flash and whatever else they suggest to address my issues. My end goal is to smooth out the bike and maybe have a bit more torque and power on tap. The lady I spoke with was very, very nice but the person with the knowledge has not called me back yet.

Then I found out about Tuneboy and a CRUISE CONTROL! I emailed them with the same questions and I'm waiting for answerers from them as well. I drove my brother's BMW with a quick shifter and liked it. So, I'm interested in that as well. Does anyone actually have the Tuneboy tune installed? How is it?

Swapping the gas tank is next. From what I saw online, that job seems to be beyond my skill set but I'm not sure. Can someone help me? Is it easier than it looks? Who has the best tank?

I would love to hear comments on Guru vs. Tuneboy, what Guru tune to use and any comment on the gas tank swap.

Thanks in advance,

Luc

can't comment on tuneboy, never heard of it.... Gurued has a flash for just about every exhaust and intake setup you can think of for the Vmax. He's got hours, on hours of dyno time. Highly recommended by just about every second gen owner. Sounds like your running a stock ecu. The surge is factory, decatting and running slip ons exaggerates it, and the popping is from the ais. He can shut that off if you would like. I'm running voodoo's, and air box mod, with the gurue flash money well spent. No more surging, no more popping on decel, no speed limiter, sand full power in the first couple gears. The stalling could be from tbodys out of sync. Mine was doing it brand new from the dealer. Gave em a sync. No more stalling. Can't comment on the fuel tank removal.

Did a 21.5 litre tank from Bart Raats and it is was pretty straightforward. Had an issue just remounting the tank with the rear subframe, needed an extra set of hands at that point. Also be very careful when you are cutting the plastic tub to install the fuel pump pickup extension. Also transfer the foam pieces from the old tank to the new. I used the instructions and online videos to help. If you are not sure of your mechanical skills, you can get someone to install it for you. Better safe than sorry.

Woolich racing and ftecu both have flashing software to do your own ecu flashing. I sold my guru flash after i started flashing on my own.

Did a 21.5 litre tank from Bart Raats and it is was pretty straightforward. Had an issue just remounting the tank with the rear subframe, needed an extra set of hands at that point. Also be very careful when you are cutting the plastic tub to install the fuel pump pickup extension. Also transfer the foam pieces from the old tank to the new. I used the instructions and online videos to help. If you are not sure of your mechanical skills, you can get someone to install it for you. Better safe than sorry.
El canadiense
El canadiense..hi can u send me the web page where u bought your gas tank for your 2nd gen VMAX..?..thank you.

Guess I got lucky and caught the guru in the shop. He time to share some helpful insight over the phone. I ended up getting his flash for stock exhaust + modded airbox. Also ordered the K&N filter from him. A little pricey but I realize I'm buying tons of dyno data too. Quick turnaround and the bike runs smooth as owl shit now.

Last edited:
Woolich racing and ftecu both have flashing software to do your own ecu flashing. I sold my guru flash after i started flashing on my own.

I almost went with a local shop that does the woolich software, they need to update their software. My ecu I.D. number wasn't on the list, so I decided to go with the guru flash, I didn't want to pay twice. Not much out there for info on the woolich, and plenty on the guru flash.

Latest posts

Back