Tuneboy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Canadiense

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for input about a company called Tuneboy out of Australia offering quick shifters, tuner with cruise control.Like to know if anyone had issues with the product or company. My 2009 is Canadian and curious if anyone here in Canada (or other countries) has installed these products with success.

Last edited:
I have the same question. I want real Cruise Control on a Gen2 and not a throttle lock. MCCruise can do a Gen1 but I am not finding anything but Tuneboy for the Gen2.

Were you able to order the Nudge Buttons? They are talked about on the website but I could not see how to add that to the order. There is a video on Youtube of them installed on a Ducati.

If those work on the Gen2, then I will definitely buy the set.

No, I haven't been able to. I have sent messages and they don't answer anything very punctually. With the Covid-19 going around the world, it is probably going to take a while to get it. When the clutch lever is pulled in, the Cruise Control should shut off to avoid accidents in a panic stop. Thanks for the video. Will advise.

Back in the middle of May I sent an email off to Tuneboy asking about the setup for the Cruise using their system. I got an email response this morning:

We don’t do the nudge buttons for the Vmax.
The cruise control is activated with a button that attaches to the bolt on the clutch perch.
This is used to activate the cruise.
The kit also includes a small loom that connects to the brake light plug, this is required so the ECU knows to shut off cruise when you brake.
The cruise kit is on the link below.
http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Yamaha Denso/#Starter-Kit-Purchase

So unfortunately it does not set up the way the Ducati does. I found a video of a VMAX with it.

I cannot make out if there is an additional piece of hardware mounted to the handlebars by the clutch. The website and other videos mention using the starter button to activate the cruise control. That might be what they are referring to in the email.

I emailed the guys at MC Cruise and posted on their website for the throttle by wire back in April and have not heard from them

So far the only true Cruise Control option on the market is the Tuneboy.

Any sign of your kit from the land down under? Have you done an installation?

I sent another message to MCCruise. I put together a very detailed email and pasted in parts of the elec diagram to show where I thought the connections were going to be. Hopefully that will elicit a response. I really like the idea of dedicated controls instead of reusing the start button.

Were you able to order the Nudge Buttons? They are talked about on the website but I could not see how to add that to the order. There is a video on Youtube of them installed on a Ducati.

If those work on the Gen2, then I will definitely buy the set.

Hello!

I got this from Wayne...think it is a nudget button...

"Hi

The cruise kit for the Vmax has a button to activate the cruise, it does not use the start button.

I am still weeks behind on emails, the COVID lockdown is causing me lots of shipping problems.

Thanks Wayne"

Last edited:
That is a bit more encouraging. Did you order the system from him? I still do not know anybody that has gotten one and done an install. About two weeks ago I did 300 miles of all highway driving one day. The bike loved it. My 50 year old wrist did not think it was that great an experience.

That is a bit more encouraging. Did you order the system from him? I still do not know anybody that has gotten one and done an install. About two weeks ago I did 300 miles of all highway driving one day. The bike loved it. My 50 year old wrist did not think it was that great an experience.

No, I have not ordered mine yet but I will... I have emailed him some questions before this Covid-19 problem, he told me that there is 2 ways of doing it...one is to ship my ECU to him so he can map it there because he was not sure the my EU-ECU have the same binary-file...it must be a Denso ECU and with the same binary BUT he also said that it is possible to download the binary-file and email it to him and he can have a look on the file and adjust it before you start the programming and risk anything...

I will go for the latter option since I don't want to ship my ECU around the globe..

I heard back from MCCruise. They have given me a lot of homework to do but I am going to get their system. They do have the dedicated controls that mount next to the clutch. I have to document the mounting points and come up with wiring harness lengths. I am suspicious that I will not have this in from Australia and installed until the Fall.

Attachments

• GT-1014 Switch Installation.pdf
    744.8 KB · Views: 18
I heard back from MCCruise. They have given me a lot of homework to do but I am going to get their system. They do have the dedicated controls that mount next to the clutch. I have to document the mounting points and come up with wiring harness lengths. I am suspicious that I will not have this in from Australia and installed until the Fall.

Just wanted to inform that I pulled the trigger on the TuneBoy kit with Cruise and the extra Cordona QS/Blipper kit and as of yesterday (4 Mars) I got the tracking number... will update this thread w/pics when the parts arrive...
Wayne has made some updates to the program:

"Hi

I have added the ability to read the current map from the VMax ECU.

The software will check the map ID at the end of the flash memory, if this is different to the ID in the TuneBoy map it will read the ECU contents and create a file.

I can use the backup of the ECU to create a tune file.

Thanks, Wayne Macdonald"

So no need to send the ECU and no need to be worried about bricking it...

Just wanted to inform that I pulled the trigger on the TuneBoy kit with Cruise and the extra Cordona QS/Blipper kit and as of yesterday (4 Mars) I got the tracking number... will update this thread w/pics when the parts arrive...
Wayne has made some updates to the program:

"Hi

I have added the ability to read the current map from the VMax ECU.

The software will check the map ID at the end of the flash memory, if this is different to the ID in the TuneBoy map it will read the ECU contents and create a file.

I can use the backup of the ECU to create a tune file.

Thanks, Wayne Macdonald"

So no need to send the ECU and no need to be worried about bricking it...
Please post pictures of the wiring harness when you get it.

Will do, oh...btw, did you know there is a Launch Control ability with the TuneBoy kit?
I had not read that. I am not a racer so it would not be a big benefit to me. However I wonder what it is really doing. I always hear about Holeshot Devices when watching races. My understanding is that it tied to how the suspension works to keep the front wheel on the ground coming out of the grid.

I assume that the TuneBoy has no integration to those systems.

I had not read that. I am not a racer so it would not be a big benefit to me. However I wonder what it is really doing. I always hear about Holeshot Devices when watching races. My understanding is that it tied to how the suspension works to keep the front wheel on the ground coming out of the grid.

I assume that the TuneBoy has no integration to those systems.
Have nothing to do with suspension...you just have to lean fw when launching...

I like the idea with Launch Control for when there is a sportbike next to you being cocky...

I don't know why, but you can't read about it on the webpage...got that info in an email after asking some questions... and I hope it's the same version as in the R1/MT09 including this below...

"The TuneBoy module has a built-in six axis IMU. This allows the TuneBoy map inside the ECU to control wheel lift based on the gyro angle, it also allows the ECU to adjust the throttle action based on the lean angle of the bike, this gives the rider a slower initial throttle action when the motorcycle has a high lean angle and a more aggressive throttle curve when the motorcycle is upright.
The lean angle of the motorcycle is included in the data log along with RPM, throttle position, Speed, Gear, Engine temp and other ECU info."

The 6 axis IMU is in all modules, but I think I read something about it's only fully developed for some bikes...BUT, there could always be an FW update for that.. If more people buy it... ;-)

A3242CC5-2C0E-44DD-9AF2-22D4278913EE.jpeg

Here is the picture of all the parts included in the TuneBoy kit, I’m in a discussion with Wayne about the Six-axis IMU as it was not in the kit...don’t know if I misread the website but I thought it was included...(please check it out and let me know how you read it)
My VMax is working and I have so far made 3 smaller trips with her... some small glitches with the Cruise but I think it just need some adjusting in the FW.

How's the system working? Is the cruise working as it should now? How difficult was the installation? I really want cruise control but, I'm concerned because the PO had the ecu flashed by Guru. I don't know if you can reflash an ECU with a non-stock flash installed. I just emailed tuneboy to see what they say.

No, I haven't been able to. I have sent messages and they don't answer anything very punctually. With the Covid-19 going around the world, it is probably going to take a while to get it. When the clutch lever is pulled in, the Cruise Control should shut off to avoid accidents in a panic stop. Thanks for the video. Will advise.
Bruce,

I have some good news. MC Cruise is going to make the electronic cruise control for the Gen2. I wish I could take full credit but I got some help. Jim Bitolas is in Melbourne Australia. He is taking his bike to them and they will do an install and give him a discount as unit #1 for the VMAX.

No idea how soon the kit will be available for the rest of us but at least it is going to happen. All my engineering work was for naught. Asking them to build a custom system and not having a test bike was too much.

I will let you know when timing and pricing gets announced. I had 400 miles on the bike yesterday and my right arm is NOT happy.

Back