Turbo Vmax Reasonable?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnaVMax

Reaction score
I am new to this forum so first of all i would like to say hello to everyone, and comment on a great site that has been put together.

I have read a few threads on the vmax's with blowers and understand them to not be the greatest bikes for daily commuting, because of a touchy throttle and so on. I was wandering what everyone else thought about a turbo'ed vmax?

Would a turbo set up be more reasonable than the blower for every day commuting?

The best all around VMAX is a stock one with a Kerker pipe and a jet kit. Now if you want to go down that old dirt road and believe me it's dirty.

A turbo is the way to go. The only cost effective way of doing one right now is a draw thru version. This type of setup has a single carb mounted to the inlet of the compressor housing of the turbo.

Here's a couple of pics of one I did 10 years ago I ran it on the street and went to the track and ran 8.90 's. Nice thing about turbo's, turn the boost down with a turn of a screw at the waste Gate.

carbside_4A.jpg

side_left_13.jpg

The best and cleanest way of doing one is a blow thru version, blowing thru fuel injection. I've seen a post talking about a european company that had come up with a fuel injection setup for sale.

So from my point of view that fuel injection with no turbo would be the way to start a project. Once you master the tuning of the fuel injection add the turbo. Simple eh, oh oh there I go down that old dirt road again :shot:

8.9 is a really good quarter time! How many pounds of boost were you running for that time? Also was the motor basically stock (except for the turbo) or was there other mods on it. I noticed you didn't run an intercoller on the set up either, did you ever add one on?

Gary,How much do you think this conversion would cost today?I would also like to put one on my drag bike.

About 17 PSI, VP C16 Race Fuel, can't really run an intercooler with a draw thru setup. The motor was a 1260, Arias Pistons 8.5 to 1 and Carrillo Rods.

The reduction in the compression ratio is to control detonation with higher boost. At 15 PSI you basically double your static compression ratio.

Shawn

I actually detailed all of the parts to offer a kit back then. The system was based around a Rayjay Turbo and they have since sold the Rayjay line. Sooo that particular turbo isn't available.

I just inquired recently to see if someone could come up suitable replacement. To answer your question as far as price probably in the 4000.00 range. The setup is very streetable I sold the one on that bike to Don Bricker and as far as I know he's had good luck with it.

Gary

$4000 is very reasonable.It is $3500 for a blower kit uninstalled.The turbo would also make alot more power.

This guys the beast, Blow thru Innovative Ceramic Ballbearing Turbo, Hilborn Fuel Injection, Methanol Fuel. Just started tuning it at the track. It also has a Racepak Data logger on board and an Innovative Boost Controller.

vmax730.jpg

Gary

Why aren't you running your bars?Last time I raced my max I left the line at 7000rpm's and it broke loose then hooked up and I nearly flipped it.

Hey Gary, were you saying the turbo setup would be reasonable for everyday use? I want something that i can leave a crotch rocket in the dust in a roll on. Would this kind of set up be enough power for that, and would it even be smart on a regular street tire?

MagnaVMax said:
Hey Gary, were you saying the turbo setup would be reasonable for everyday use? I want something that i can leave a crotch rocket in the dust in a roll on. Would this kind of set up be enough power for that, and would it even be smart on a regular street tire?

Anytime you modify a motorcycle in terms of high horsepower motor performance you lose something in terms of everyday reliability.

Turbo's make heat and lots of it! So if you live in a southern climate this is not good. If you have 2 bikes and want to make one you can go busa hunting with then this package will work.

Eventually you would want a bigger sneaker on your bike.

Gary

shawn kloker said:
Why aren't you running your bars?Last time I raced my max I left the line at 7000rpm's and it broke loose then hooked up and I nearly flipped it.

We'll I run the Top Street class at the track and it's a no bar class. I built it to run no bar, kinda of entertaining the thought of getting that 7 second number once I get it dialed in.

Gary

TURBOVMAX said:
Anytime you modify a motorcycle in terms of high horsepower motor performance you lose something in terms of everyday reliability.

Turbo's make heat and lots of it! So if you live in a southern climate this is not good. If you have 2 bikes and want to make one you can go busa hunting with then this package will work.

I have always wanted a crotch rocket or some style of sportbike. I ended up buying a 97 magna because i am a poor college boy and can't afford insurance on a sportbike. Since then i have fallen in love wih the vmax and that style of power cruiser.

I live in a fairly small city and there is a local kid that rides a GSXR around, and he just loves to roll up besdie me and either cut me off or just be a prick and act like he wants to race. So i am saving all my money and hopefully pretty soon i can buy a max and begin some modifications to it, because i will take this kid one way or another. It is now my goal in life! Then i will have my daily driver(the magna) and my busa hunter(in this case a GSXR hunter)!

thats a dangerous proposition. How much riding experience do you have?

You would be better off just forgeting the guy, its not worth it.

If that Gixxer is only a few years old, that is going to be a whole lot of money you'll be pouring into the VMax to make it a contender. I agree with Ken, forget about him... or make friends with him and ride with him!:rocket bike:

I have beaten 750's and a 900 gsxr at the strip before but riding ability has something to do with it.My bike also is far from stock.

Latest posts

Back