Turn Signal Fuse blowing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davelaf

Reaction score
Ola, been an owner of super clean 2002, but been wanting one for 30 years.
Any hoo, I put a 1000 miles on it, no problems. Then all of a sudden blew two 10 amp fuses and one 15 in rapid succession just riding. I don't recall if I did a action in all three occasions. The first 2, I was in reserve gas mode. The neutral dash light out, turn dash light out. The turn signals stay lit while riding but don't blink, and back taillight stays on but brake light does not come on.
I'm new so not sure if I should make questions shorter.
Turn signal relay can thing? Gracias for and help.

Check your grounds.

Check your bayonet sockets for a good ground from the metal shell of the bayonet socket to the bulb metal. Check your wires for the turn signals to where they plug-into the wire harness. The crimps on the connectors sometimes fray and break, the turn signals need all filaments and hots and grounds to be working to present the proper load to the system. It sounds like you've got some stray grounding going-on from a hot wire.

I would also be examining the brake light for the same issues. Also check the brake light switch for proper operation, by the right foot brake pedal. VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net) Download this and print-out a copy, and put it into a 3 ring binder, if you intend to keep the bike. Chapter 7 is Electrical, start at page 302 of 405 pages, on the .pdf page count. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat for .pdf's on your computer, it is a free download.

The '85-'89 diagram should be substantially the same except for the pick-up coils for the ignition, and the regulator/rectifier, both of those were changed for later models.

VMax USA 85-89 wiring.pngVMax USA 85-89 wiring.02.pngVMax fusebox detail 1990+ models.png

Last edited:
Check fuse box visually, sound strange.
I always start with electrical diagram.

Unplug your turn signals, tail light/brake light, flasher relay, and instrument cluster (2). Try again. If it doesn't blow, plug in one thing at a time and re-test. A test light probing along the signal circuit would work too.

Mark

there is only one explanation for burning several fuses: wires are fried together. Nothing else I could come up with.

This Can Be A Real Pain In The Ass To Fix , Process Of Elimination And Most Important Thing Is ....... “PATIENCE”
Also Don’t Drink While Doing It And Turn Off The Radio So You Don’t Lose Your Train Of Thought !
And Like They Said In Pryor Posts , Print The Wiring Diagrams !
Trust Me I Do A Ton Of Wiring , Have Built Entire Complete Hot Rod Street Cars And Also Complete Race Cars , Don’t Get Frustrated , It’s Easy To Do ! ........
“ BELIEVE ME “

Last edited:
Look at diagram until you understand how current goes. Pretty often I spend 90% of diagnosing time, looking at diagram, and 10%, actually checking bike or car. If disconnecting devices doesn't stop fuse from blowing, I start chopping wires in half, locating short. Harness should be inspected visually first, sometimes there is obvious problem. I bought a Jaguar once with "bad transmission." It turned out, just one wire was broken... 💪

Nice. Thanks for info I had a loose connector to the aftermarket rear turnsignals. I'm going to download that manual.

Nice. Thanks for info I had a loose connector to the aftermarket rear turnsignals. I'm going to download that manual

Sorry. Winter in Oregon. Its been in storage. But hopefully weather turns, I've had it out a few times. I used to be year round biker, not so much now.

This Can Be A Real Pain In The Ass To Fix , Process Of Elimination And Most Important Thing Is ....... “PATIENCE”
Also Don’t Drink While Doing It And Turn Off The Radio So You Don’t Lose Your Train Of Thought !
And Like They Said In Pryor Posts , Print The Wiring Diagrams !
Trust Me I Do A Ton Of Wiring , Have Built Entire Complete Hot Rod Street Cars And Also Complete Race Cars , Don’t Get Frustrated , It’s Easy To Do ! ........
“ BELIEVE ME “
Thanks sorry for taking so long to respond. Rainy winters here, and my storage is not real close. Thanks for advice. I'm big on finding people how do something slot and asking questions, rather than make a bunch of mistakes.

Latest posts

Back