turn signal fuse keeps blowing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lethal dose

Reaction score
ok. have a '92. just put aftermarket turn signals on it. the aftermarket signals are only single filament so i capped the running light wire and hooked up the signals accordingly. worked great!... for two weeks. now, i keep blowing the 10a signal fuse which also leaves me without a brake light. my first thought was... there has to be a short in some of the new wiring... not the case... everything is clean and looks great. i also noticed that my tach reads zero at idle... as i accelerate to higher speeds... the tach goes up, but is not accurate. when i do replace the fuse, the right signal works fine but when i hit it left, it dims my gauge lights. suggestions? i can understand suggestions of the new blinkers, but the fact that they worked great for 2 weeks and everything is wired correctly makes me almost certain it is not. anyhow... PLEASE HELP!

ok. have a '92. just put aftermarket turn signals on it. the aftermarket signals are only single filament so i capped the running light wire and hooked up the signals accordingly. worked great!... for two weeks. now, i keep blowing the 10a signal fuse which also leaves me without a brake light. my first thought was... there has to be a short in some of the new wiring... not the case... everything is clean and looks great. i also noticed that my tach reads zero at idle... as i accelerate to higher speeds... the tach goes up, but is not accurate. when i do replace the fuse, the right signal works fine but when i hit it left, it dims my gauge lights. suggestions? i can understand suggestions of the new blinkers, but the fact that they worked great for 2 weeks and everything is wired correctly makes me almost certain it is not. anyhow... PLEASE HELP!

Are your new turn signals L.E.D.? If so, the problem may be that you require a L.E.D.-specific flasher unit. The 85-92 models use a multiple-use relay, which includes the signals, while 93-on models use a dedicated flasher relay. If this is the problem, there are many threads on the datebase already re installation.
However, since the right signal works fine, while the left causes grief, maybe the turn signal switch is at fault. You could use jumper wires to reverse the power feeds to the signals, so that the left switch position operates the right signals. If the left signals then work fine , while the right dims the gauge lights, I'd take apart the T.S. switch and clean the contacts.
As well, check and clean the ground wire that comes out of the relay unit.
Cheers, Miles

85-89 has the fuel pump relay built into the turn signal relay (if I remember right). 90 and up are the same and will work fine with LED's. BUT, with led's the current usage is so low you get a power feedback and all signals will blink at once unless you either pull the indicator bulb in the dash or run a one way diode there (that same bulb is powered by both sides of the bike so that's where the feedback comes from).

If it's the small rectangular aluminum housing signals you might want to open them up and look at the grounds. They tend to crack loose easily and can let the bulb housing bounce around and short out.

Sean

I have seen some where they are picky with wiring. Try switching wires around.

Not led. Definately incan. Small aftermarket football shaped. Very strange. My thought is signal or switch. They seem well built, though. As for the ground, even with no ground, they should still not be blowing a fuse, no?

Resurrecting this old post....did you ever solve your issue?

Back