turning rotors help?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman30

Reaction score
I live in the Buffalo NY area and was wondering if anybody knows of a machine shop that turns rotors? Its not for a vmax its for a 1998 kawaski Vulcan classic 1500. I would buy new just what I am finding is stupid pricing or stupid shipping I am not wanting to spend 300-400 for one front rotor thats crazy right:ummm:

I just googled it and it seems that some have them ground like a fly wheel on a car, but there is a big safety concen on thickness of rotor after the grinding process.

It is a liability issue. You need to stress to the owner that certain things need to be replaced for safety's sake. There are aftermarket choices you can make that do not require $300/rotor, but you probably will be spending $100+ for a single rotor.

No one is likely going to surface your rotor because of the liability issue. This is a time when the owner needs to 'bite the bullet' and pony-up the $ for his safety. The factory manual will tell you what the min. thickness is. You can decide if the clean-up of the rotor would put thickness below that. Sometimes the min. thickness is cast-into the rotor itself, try there, then the factory manual. Really, braking components are no-place to scrimp on your budget. I don't even rebuild master cylinders any more, I just buy new ones. $100+ for a new one vs. ~$25 for a kit, which may or may-not work? How-much do you value your life-at for a $ figure?

it is a liability issue. You need to stress to the owner that certain things need to be replaced for safety's sake. There are aftermarket choices you can make that do not require $300/rotor, but you probably will be spending $100+ for a single rotor.

No one is likely going to surface your rotor because of the liability issue. This is a time when the owner needs to 'bite the bullet' and pony-up the $ for his safety. The factory manual will tell you what the min. Thickness is. You can decide if the clean-up of the rotor would put thickness below that. Sometimes the min. Thickness is cast-into the rotor itself, try there, then the factory manual. Really, braking components are no-place to scrimp on your budget. I don't even rebuild master cylinders any more, i just buy new ones. $100+ for a new one vs. ~$25 for a kit, which may or may-not work? How-much do you value your life-at for a $ figure?

+1

It is a liability issue. You need to stress to the owner that certain things need to be replaced for safety's sake. There are aftermarket choices you can make that do not require $300/rotor, but you probably will be spending $100+ for a single rotor.

No one is likely going to surface your rotor because of the liability issue. This is a time when the owner needs to 'bite the bullet' and pony-up the $ for his safety. The factory manual will tell you what the min. thickness is. You can decide if the clean-up of the rotor would put thickness below that. Sometimes the min. thickness is cast-into the rotor itself, try there, then the factory manual. Really, braking components are no-place to scrimp on your budget. I don't even rebuild master cylinders any more, I just buy new ones. $100+ for a new one vs. ~$25 for a kit, which may or may-not work? How-much do you value your life-at for a $ figure?

Nothing to do with biting the bullet just was a question on turning if I have to pay for a new one its no big deal have to have what you have to have. I have not seen anything in the 100 + range do you know of a place that sells them? The stealership is the last place I will go they quoted me 400.00 for one :bang head:

Ive had good luck with aftermarket rotors on ebay. Mine that are on the front of my Vmax were 120.00 plus 30.00 shipping.

Agreed, check new aftermarket. Even the China galfer knockoff's are decent.

BUT, if the rotor can be ground and stay within the thickness limits I see no reason at all why this can't be done.

I ve ground bike rotors with no problems in the past. But I don't have access to the setup I was using years ago. And honestly the setup time and hassle involved isn't worth it to me now. But on the same token, making sure a new rotor is parallel can be tricky too , depending on how picky you are.....

Back