Turns over but No Spark.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamboozer

Reaction score
Went for a great ride, next day went to start the bike, it clicked and the electrical went dead, no lights no horn no nothing. Replaced the battery (it was horrible and I admit it), cleaned all the contacts I could get to, checked all the fuses and now it turns over nicely, lights and horn all work. Checked all plugs, their nearly new, well grounded to the engine, and got nothing. I know about the famed side stand switch so I cleaned it as well. Should be noted that the bike is a 2002, I was amazed by how clean the connections were, no corrosion at all. Any thoughts where to check next? Read there are some relays I should look at on the left side and possibly by pass. I suspect something is either burnt or a wire fell off due to the way it died suddenly.

Most likely a bad pickup coil. Unplug and check this connection for ohm readings. If you get nothing it's bad. If you get a reading (even if not in the specified range it's likely not the issue).

Attachments

• Picjk-Up-Coil-Connector-Tested-103-Ohms-Cropped-Labeled.jpg
    Picjk-Up-Coil-Connector-Tested-103-Ohms-Cropped-Labeled.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20150514_162214_631.jpg
    IMG_20150514_162214_631.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 10
As Sean said.

The pick-up coil can also go 'open' (non-conductive, part failure) once it heats-up, I've had that happen a couple times over 26 years of ownership. The bike would start fine, but after about 10 minutes it would suddenly shut-off. Let the bike cool-down, and it would start back-up. A replacement pick-up coil fixed it.

The 1985-89 pick-up coil(s) have more wires. There are two pick-up coils on them.

A thread: https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/cdi-icu-unit-confusion-for-late-gen-1.44060/
This is the 1985-89 style pick-up coil connector.

Last edited:
Back