Turns over but will not run

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do yourself a favor a pick up a Digital Multimeter at Harbor Freight or Amazon. Once you read the book/ instructions you'll be good. One day you'll think how did I ever get by without this thing. Guaranteed! :)

See if you can stretch your budget to buy a meter with an oscilloscope, as well as the standard voltage, current and resistance measurements. The DVM in photo below costs about $80 and it shows the signal to the ignition coil when the engine is idling. It shows the coil being switched to ground which causes the spark. It wouldn't help you for this particular case as we know the engine starts to run ok then dies.

Going back to your problem, from what I read it seems to be electrical. The engine turns and starts with no problem but almost immediately dies. There is a engine cut off that prevents riding off with the side stand down but I understood that operates when engine is in gear i.e. you are about to ride off. I am wondering if the neutral switch wire is faulty so the ECU thinks the engine is in gear - have you checked the neutral lamp light up when gearbox is in neutral and goes off when in gear?

Attachments

• DVM ET828.jpg
    DVM ET828.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 0
I would have thought that if it was an issue with the safety cut-out systen the bike wouldn't start?
MM, remember that the safety cut-out for the sidestand works when the bike is in-gear & the side-stand is down.

You have the bike on the sidestand. Let's say that you're in the saddle. You start the engine. It's running, sidestand is down.

You put-up/retract the sidestand, toe it into gear, and off you go.

Next:
Now, you're on the bike. Sidestand is down, bike is running. You straighten-up the bike, but you leave the sidestand down. You select first gear, but the sidestand is down. The engine dies.

The sidestand switch worked.

Neutral switch is part of the safety cut off.

Try starting with the clutch pulled in. Also try starting with kickstand raised, obviously either you are sitting on it or have it on the centre stand.

Attachments

• DSC_2328.jpg
    DSC_2328.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
MM, remember that the safety cut-out for the sidestand works when the bike is in-gear & the side-stand is down.

You have the bike on the sidestand. Let's say that you're in the saddle. You start the engine. It's running, sidestand is down.

You put-up/retract the sidestand, toe it into gear, and off you go.

Next:
Now, you're on the bike. Sidestand is down, bike is running. You straighten-up the bike, but you leave the sidestand down. You select first gear, but the sidestand is down. The engine dies.

The sidestand switch worked.
True, but the issue we are discussing here is that the bike will run whilst the starter button is pressed but then stops.
I'm assuming this is done in neutral and that it wouldn't matter if the sidestand is up or down.
I also assume that if it was in gear the starter would not turn over.

If it was connected to an issue where the safety circuit then what I'm questioning if (or why) the starter would or could turn the motor.

Back