TV repair instructions for electrical guys.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
This is for bike mechanics, who diagnose electrical problems.
TV consists of about 10 parts and repair manual shows input and output voltage and pins/wires for each component, so $5 multimeter will do. Used modules can be bought from ebay.
I diagnosed Sony TV and found that last module before screen was bad. Cost of that module was higher than same used TV in working condition. Later I found out that it was common problem for that model and the guy, I sold the TV to, confirmed my diagnosis.
BTW!!!!!! Only buy Samsung because Sony had modules made in Mexico and China, but Samsung is a part manufacturer and uses its own parts.
Good luck!!! ;)

When I was a teenager I tried to tear apart my CRT TV to fix a hissing noise. I had the back of the TV off, it was plugged in, and turned on. I found a hole on the back of the tube and thought that was weird. I put my finger over the hole. I received a shock bad enough to put me on the ground.

When I was a teenager I tried to tear apart my CRT TV to fix a hissing noise. I had the back of the TV off, it was plugged in, and turned on. I found a hole on the back of the tube and thought that was weird. I put my finger over the hole. I received a shock bad enough to put me on the ground.
Old TV screen is a spark plug with about 10" gap. I guess voltage, needed to get over 10", is about 100K.

Old TV screen is a spark plug with about 10" gap. I guess voltage, needed to get over 10", is about 100K.
No it's not. The electrons are emitted from a heated cathode and get directed to the front screen by high voltage grids, voltages being in the region of several K Volts.

I would not say the operation is the same. The spark plug centre has a high voltage that causes a spark to jump a short distance whereas the CRT has low energy electrons emitted in every direction from a cathode that get directed to a specific spot on the screen.

Sorry, a bit before my time so am unable to elaborate.

No it's not. The electrons are emitted from a heated cathode and get directed to the front screen by high voltage grids, voltages being in the region of several K Volts.

I would not say the operation is the same. The spark plug centre has a high voltage that causes a spark to jump a short distance whereas the CRT has low energy electrons emitted in every direction from a cathode that get directed to a specific spot on the screen.

Sorry, a bit before my time so am unable to elaborate.
Voltage was tested with fingers of previous poster and he said 100k... ;) I am not sure about beer % in his blood and how it affects finger voltmeter....

You got me there, I didn't study biology beyond school so have no idea how alcohol in the blood would affect cell sensitivity to voltage.

I remember my old man trying to fix our 17 inch Philco TV back around 1958. The set was off, and unplugged. He got zapped from a large capacitor inside the set. It knocked him across the room..

This is for bike mechanics, who diagnose electrical problems.
TV consists of about 10 parts and repair manual shows input and output voltage and pins/wires for each component, so $5 multimeter will do. Used modules can be bought from ebay.
I diagnosed Sony TV and found that last module before screen was bad. Cost of that module was higher than same used TV in working condition. Later I found out that it was common problem for that model and the guy, I sold the TV to, confirmed my diagnosis.
BTW!!!!!! Only buy Samsung because Sony had modules made in Mexico and China, but Samsung is a part manufacturer and uses its own parts.
Good luck!!! ;)

Located here. Wonder where they get the parts made...........He He he he....;)

Seoul, South Korea

The Samsung Group (or simply Samsung) (Korean: 삼성) is a South Korean multinational manufacturing conglomerate headquartered in Samsung Town, Seoul, South Korea.

Don't come around me when I'm working on something electrical. 😨You might die with me. Last year I tried wiring some lights and horn to my Challenger. Went to a BBQ after. Sitting down drinking a beer, my Godson asks me why my car was smoking. :eek: Oh sh--t. Saw my life pass before my eyes! Popped the hood and saw the wires frying in front of my eyes. Something I keep in my memory Bank now is 'Don't try pulling live wires apart to stop a short!' HURTS....😰

I forgot to tighten cam sprocket nut... Secondary engine damage was more than first.

Since we are on random subjects now I'll tell a VMax joke.

Guy comes into bar and says to barman "there is a gang fight at the corner, just outside, and a bike is on fire", barman says "it must be that old vendetta", guy says "I don't know much about bikes, but it really did look like a VMax to me".

:)

I've fixed a TV or 2 but have used a different approach for the last few years as they don't seem to be worth the effort anymore with the changing technology and ever lower cost. And I don't care for hanging a large screen TV more than once.

I find a box suitable for shipping, place a large piece of plastic on the ground behind my house and set the TV on it. We drain a few beer cans and flip coins for the winner, who gets to blast it with the gun of their choice. We roll up the mess, box it and haul it off to the electronics disposal facility or the city on their "free recycle" day.

I remember my old man trying to fix our 17 inch Philco TV back around 1958. The set was off, and unplugged. He got zapped from a large capacitor inside the set. It knocked him across the room..
That crt has a high positive voltage , there is usually a bleeder resistor to bleed it off however it is a large capacitor in practice, or so I remember

I find a box suitable for shipping, place a large piece of plastic on the ground behind my house and set the TV on it. We drain a few beer cans and flip coins for the winner, who gets to blast it with the gun of their choice.
It was more fun with CRTs as the vacuum would cause an implosion. You can't even do it now with light bulbs.

Latest posts

Back