TV Show: Taboo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the actor Tom Hardy. For those who may not be familiar with who he is he played Bane in The Dark Knight Rises and he played Mad Max in Fury Road. He also played the bad guy in Revenant.

He's done other big movies like Inception as well. I think a movie most here would really enjoy and I HIGHLY recommend was one he did called Warrior.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291584/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_18

Well he created his own series that BBC sponsored and is being carried over here by FX called Taboo. And I got to say I'm loving the series so far. Here's the best way I can think of to describe it. It takes place in the early 1800s. Imagine if you can, the infamous Batman villain The Joker in the 1800s. And imagine being able to see the Joker at work rather than just seeing Batman having to deal with Joker's tricks.

The main character in Taboo is James Delaney played by Hardy and he's trying to build a shipping empire during the era of when the East India Trading Company was so large and powerful it was almost it's own nation. And Delaney is playing chess with the East India Trading Company AND the Royal Crown AND The Americans.... and he's constantly trying to stay two steps ahead of ALL Of them. The Joker part of him is his ability to stay two steps ahead(in most cases) and there is a very dangerous side to him as well.

It's a slow burn of a show that really starts picking up steam in episodes 3 and on. The last episode of season one airs this week. And the look and tone of the show at the end of the seasons is remarkably different than that first episode. So what I'm basically saying is give it at least 2 episodes to see if you dig it. In many ways the pilot episode feels a bit disconnected from the rest of the series. But it's my favorite show on right now.

Here's a scene from Episode 1 where the East India Company is making an offer on a piece of land he has that was passed down by his recently deceased father. At this point they really don't know what to expect of Delaney's knowledge or intentions. Everyone had thought he was dead but he shows up at his father's funeral to everyone's surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKE0kCHACN4

Back