Tyre cracking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William_

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just wondering anyones thoughts on these tyres. I bought them new in January of these year and they wouldn't even have 100 miles on them. Dot code says they were produced on the 24th week of 2019.

Are these safe? I've never seen cracking like this before outside of really old tyres. It extends around the entire circumference on only one side of the tyre.

20200508_145028.jpg

Hello William , from the picture its hard for me to tell if the cracks are into the rubber ? I suggest scrubbing the tire with soap, water and a brush and I hope it is just a chemical left over from manufacturing.

Hello William , from the picture its hard for me to tell if the cracks are into the rubber ? I suggest scrubbing the tire with soap, water and a brush and I hope it is just a chemical left over from manufacturing.

Sounds like good advice to me. Start there, then try this. Add more air to the tire, to the max. sidewall pressure indicated. You aren't going to ride the bike like that, you're going to have the tire aired-up to-see if you can 'blow-bubbles' from escaping air. Use a lot of liquid soap, you want to see if there is any bubbling happening from escaping air. If it really was leaking that badly, you would probably come-out to the bike and find the tire flat, probably overnight.

What brand/model, and the letters/numbers for the size of the tire?

It almost appears as-though the tire release compound wasn't cleaned-out of the tire mold before this tire was manufactured, or other debris was present. Is it everywhere around the tire's circumference/sidewall?

Defective sidewall.png

Last edited:
it looks like some kind of surface skin, can it be 'peeled' at all, see if you can put your finger nail into the tyre at the 'cracks'

William did you wash it off ? The picture shows the tire to have a slight blue color to it just wash it off wont cost you anything.

Thanks all, I washed and scrubbed it but it is still there. It isnt something on top of the tyre it is in the rubber.

I sent the pic to the to the place I bought the tyres from, they offer a warranty so I'll see how that works out.

That's not good enough - there is no way that should happen on such a low mileage and new tyre - go back to where you purchased the tyre and get refund or replacement.

Yes I agree. I think there's a coating on the tires and you just need to scrub them or so come. Most Yamaha shops as well as Honda suck some in 409 and lets the oil drip off of them. And then you can scrub them. That don't put a tire coating on them because that's possibly what is caused by that cracking. But what you're looking at is not the tire cracking it's the coating on them

Go show it to the seller. Never ride on a tire that has issues. Load it on a trailer and go see the seller.

There is no coating on new tires and hasn't been since the 50's(?) Used to be a "mold release" used, but hasn't been for a LONG time. Shops still say there is, usually out of ignorance because that's what they were taught, primarily because it's easier to explain to customers that that is why they must take it easy on fresh tires for some miles, rather than explaing the tire carcass is stiff, the surface is smooth, and since the new tire is suddenly round again it takes much less effort to turn. "Be careful, it's got a coating " is easier. Lol

Thanks everyone I decided not to risk it, I got both front and back tyres from an online retailer blackcircles here in the UK so I can't show them the tyre outside of pictures. Waiting on them sending a replacement, back tyre is fine.

It isn't something which is on the tyre, I have tried scrubbing it hard but it doesn't budge.

Back