UFO 4/2 exhaust installation problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djmachinist

Reaction score
I have a new UFO exhaust system I bought for my 05
max. I have had a hell of a time getting this exhaust
system installed. With a lot of tugging and pushing I
finally got the thing flanged up. Now I have three of the
four cylinders leaking at the exhaust port. I used new
exhaust gaskets and made a special tool to reach the
inside back cylinder nuts. It looks like to me the bends
at the exhaust port are off by a degree or three. The flanges are not square with the exhaust port. Once you
get every thing bolted to front and rear exhaust ports,
there is no give in the system at all. In fact the pipe is
in a high stress static condition.

I have tried to reach Jon cornell, but he is not returning
my phone call.

Any thoughts from people who have this System?

I have a Kerker system not a UFO but mine was also a tight fit and I found NOT using exhaust gaskets stopped the leaks! :confused2:
You may want to try that.

djmachinist said:
I have a new UFO exhaust system I bought for my 05
max. I have had a hell of a time getting this exhaust
system installed. With a lot of tugging and pushing I
finally got the thing flanged up. Now I have three of the
four cylinders leaking at the exhaust port. I used new
exhaust gaskets and made a special tool to reach the
inside back cylinder nuts. It looks like to me the bends
at the exhaust port are off by a degree or three. The flanges are not square with the exhaust port. Once you
get every thing bolted to front and rear exhaust ports,
there is no give in the system at all. In fact the pipe is
in a high stress static condition.

I have tried to reach Jon cornell, but he is not returning
my phone call.

Any thoughts from people who have this System?

I do not have a UFO exhaust, however I do have an aftermarket 4-2. It was also a pain to install. Here are a few things to try/look for.

1. This may sound silly, but make sure you have taken the original exhaust gaskets out. (Don't ask how I came to find this out!:whistlin: )

2. Keep the front mounts, and all of the other connections very loose until you can get the rear installed. Then begin tightening it all up.

3. Relax. Walk away. Do something else for a while. Built-up frustration is how things get broken. (Don't ask how I came to find this out either!:whistlin: )

Let us know how it goes. Many of us have been there before.

Good Luck!

I had leaks on the rear cylinders with my Mark's. I found I had the gaskets in backwards. They are cone-shapped.

I tried the UFO 4/2 exhaust with out the gaskets yesterday, no good, all four are leaking now. It was a little easier to fit up with the extra play with the gaskets removed. The UFO exhaust pipes are simply not square with the exhaust port. Anybody want to buy a brand new set of UFO pipes real cheap?!!!! Nah, I could not pawn these off on somebody else and live with my self.
Thanks guys for all the suggestions, It looks like it was a lost cause!

I have hmf on my bike and used the gaskets and have no leaks.I found that you want to wait to tighten up the exhaust manifolds last.Hang everything else first.
Is this the new stainless pipes?Are you sure the rear pipes are in the right spot not backwards?
Contact Jon for advice.

I thought I would give you a update on the UFO installation saga. No amount of coaxing or tightening
schemes have been able to get these pipes on the bike
without leaking. The exhaust flanges are simply not
square with the exhaust port. The bends need to be
adjusted in two planes. If the pipes were not one
piece all the way back to the collector/crossover and a
slip joint added at the collecter, this problem would go
away. You would have the ability to rotate the pipe into
position instead of the cold springing I have now. I am
giving up on the UFO exhaust and ordering a Mark's 4/2.

I did not go with the Mark's pipe originally because his
design has a crossover pipe at the rear that would interfere with the sportmax braced swingarm I have. I
sent Mark a sketch of my swingarm dimensions and he says he can modify the crossover location to clear the
swingarm.

Its been a frustrating and expensive experience with
the UFO pipes. Time for me to move on.

my uncle has the UFO pipes and he loves the look sound a performance.

But all the guys I know have nothing but bad things to say about Jon Cornell's customer service. From orders taking months to ship, to his unwillingness to answer or return phone calls from people unless they are trying to buy something.

And I AM NOT one of the guys on the Yahoo list that have a personal problem with JOn. I personally have only dealt with him once, to order a fork brace, and my transaction with smoothly

Dale, give Mark McDade a call.....I know if you ship him the UFO pipes he could fix them for you.

djmachinist said:
I thought I would give you a update on the UFO installation saga. No amount of coaxing or tightening
schemes have been able to get these pipes on the bike
without leaking. The exhaust flanges are simply not
square with the exhaust port. The bends need to be
adjusted in two planes. If the pipes were not one
piece all the way back to the collector/crossover and a
slip joint added at the collecter, this problem would go
away. You would have the ability to rotate the pipe into
position instead of the cold springing I have now. I am
giving up on the UFO exhaust and ordering a Mark's 4/2.

I did not go with the Mark's pipe originally because his
design has a crossover pipe at the rear that would interfere with the sportmax braced swingarm I have. I
sent Mark a sketch of my swingarm dimensions and he says he can modify the crossover location to clear the
swingarm.

Its been a frustrating and expensive experience with
the UFO pipes. Time for me to move on.

What are you doing with the UFO exhaust?

I would bet that you are trying to use the two rear pipes in the wrong position (1&3),or you need to spin the 2" piece between the collector and mufflers to get the right offset.

Shawn,
I do have the 2" short rear headers in the correct
orientation and placement. In fact, I had a friend in
the local vmax club hold the front header in position
while I joined the rear header to the front header. I
promise you there is only one way these will go together.

I did'nt fall off the Turnip wagon yesterday, I've been
down this road a few times in my thirty years of riding,
racing and working on various types of bikes.

Jon has answered my email explaining the problem and
has ask me to send the pipes back to him to either fix or
replace them. Lets see what he comes up with.

I also had a frustrating time installing the UFO pipes. Some dremeling of the flanges with additional opposite bending of the flanges top and bottom to correct the degree or three of misalignment and now they fit great. Yes, they are tight with little freeplay, but I've ahd the same experiance on other V-4s. Pipes sound great and go well with the Vgas system. Also, you cannot be in a rush when working with John. Be very patient and he does come through.

I visited with Dale yesterday and after meeting him and seeing what kind of work he does when he says they won't fit; they won't fit.....The guy is a very heads up, and hands on guy that appears to be able to build, mill, assemble or make anything.

I originally went over there to pick up the UFO's and try them on my bike thinking maybe he was missing something but now I'm convinced there is an issue.

I'm still gonna try them on my bike on the off chance there might be some slight difference between his bike and mine???????????
Slim chance for sure....

By the way he has the nicest max I have ever seen.....

Update.

The UFO exhaust had some very definite fitment issues that UFO needs to address. Don't know if it's the JIG they should be using or final quality control before shipping.

The left rear down pipe hits the frame member if installed in it's"relaxed" position and had to be forced into position to make it fit into the bottom piece that it sleeves into making the flange not fit in the same plane as the head and I had to tighten the holy dogshit out of the bolts on the left rear cylinder to stop the leaking.
I question how long the studs are going to last with that much stress on them but it's not leaking at this point.:eusa_dance:

The U shaped tube that comes out of the right hand pipe collector and picks up the left rear down pipe is located to far forward on the bike and had to be jammed hard against the back of the oil pan to get it in position. It was a real bitch to install. Once in position it's not pushing against the oil pan that hard but it is touching the oil pan still which I would normally find unacceptable but since I got a decent deal on this I'm not complaning.

The left pipe went in like it should with no issues.

The finished product installed sounds absolutely awesome and looks awesome as well. The finish/polish job on the stainless pipes and the aluminum cans could not have been any better.

At this point I'm very happy with it.

And thank you Dale for giving me the opportunity to try it out.

Last edited:
i know i sent an email asking a bunch of questions to ufo and it was never answered. i sent the same email to dale at hole shot and got answers right away. to me service is just as good as a product and lack of service makes me want to stay away from people who wont help you after the sale. im very glad i going this forum to read these post and facts. thanks

Latest posts

Back