UFO Sponsored Drag day

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys want results!!!

Rain, rain, and more rain!

I was there, got back late last night. Rain and thunderstorms stopped the drags around 1230 hrs. I got to see some really cool Maxes (or is that Maxi) some nice Busas and ZX14 as well.

I saw Jon Cornell and Sean Morley do two runs : Jon Cornell 2 Morley 0
Man he's fast. Cornell was into the 10's. Morley was low 11's.

Let it be known that Sean wasn't on his bike tho. He blew his tranny the night before and used his buddy's bike. Still a real respectable showing.
As for the details I'll leave that to Seam himself.

Dale #2592

Well,it was pretty wet saturday and sunday but I had a great time!My wife and I got to hang with Sean and Jeff saturday.It's always cool to hook up with Sean and I'm glad we got to meet Jeff finally.I really wish more of you would have came too.Even when it's raining it cool to bullshit.
I also finally got to meet Jon Cornell,He was very nice and professional through the whole event.I am glad that we still went even with the bad weather forecast.I got 4 runs in with a best of 11.27.I could have made more runs if I would have tried.We were told that a small shower was coming through then it would be nice the rest of the day.It rained like hell for over an hour then they cancelled the track.It did get nice enough for the awards and to load up the trailer.

I am not posting the results! Sean can do it.I did see it all though!
You guys should have came! LOL!

Morley and I made it back to my house around 1:30am this morning, and he got a little sleep and took off for Wichita. I rode 1600 miles with him and he has around 400 left to go by himself.

I'm sure Sean will be posting a little more about this but I'm going to try and give everyone a little summary.

We left Wichita Friday morning around 10:00am and drove the 400+ miles to my house in Iowa, spent the night and got up around 5:30 to make the 600+ miles to Thompson, OH. It rained almost the whole way up there, but we got there in 10 hours with a few quick stops and met up with Shawn Kloker at the track to check it out. We walked around a bit then went to our hotel and then decided to unload the bikes and grab a little supper. I think Morley was a little hesitant on getting the bike out as it had been raining, but he did. We got about 30 miles from the hotel, and got off the interstate. Kloker and Morley got on it pretty hard (aparently Morley was on it a little harder, as he locked up something in the rear end) He was pissed to say the least..... 1000 miles (one way) and he won't be able to race his own bike.

The Klokers and I see a bar/steak house across the road and head over there as Morley heads back on my bike to get the trailer. I have a few gin and tonics (followed by a few beers) since I wasn't riding any more and wait for the trailer to get here so we can load up the bike. We get everything loaded up, Morley is still fuming, but hides it very well. We go back over to the steak house to order supper, and Sean orders a bloody steak, I think he was so mad, he actually wanted to go out and murder the cow and cut up his own piece of meat and eat it raw... (I may be stretching it a little, but he was very upset and dissappointed to say the least).

We get supper finished up and say good night to the Klokers, (It was their 4 year anniversary that night by the way, so congrats to them!) Morley and I head back to the hotel with his broken bike on the trailer. We still aren't sure what happened, so we get parked under a parking lot light as it is around 10ish I believe. We are hoping it was a shredded clutch basket, but a quick removal of the cover and disassembly of the clutch shows a clean/functional clutch.... damn. Morley gets out his flashlight and it peaking in the internals of the engine and notices one of the gears is chewed up something fierce.....missing/ground off teeth.... not good!

We don't have a new tranny or even the time to split the engine and replace it, so we decided to get my bike ready for him to ride. We make a few adjustments (handlebars, shift peg, throttle cable, etc.) just to make it feel a little better for him. We know what my bike has for HP since it was on the dyno in Topeka just a month earlier. It was down in HP from Morley's bike, but we really didn't have much of an option at this point.

We are sitting outside the hotel waiting for Mario to show up.... I don't know his last name, but I'm sure many of you know who he is and have seen some of his bar-end mirrors. Anyway, I think Mario shows up around 11:30pm or maybe even later and we shoot the shit for a few hours... Mario and his son were great to meet and talk to.... Good stories!
It was around 2:00 before we got to bed, I was BEAT!

Sunday morning comes around and we get up around 7ish. Get packed, and headed over to McDonalds for one of those super healthy breakfasts. I ride my bike to the track as Morley takes his bike on the trailer. We wait in line for a few minutes for the gates to open and talk to a few other V-Maxers that are in line as well. It isn't long before we are able to make it in and get things unloaded and set up right at 9:00am. The morning was looking pretty good as the skys were overcast, but it didn't look like rain. We are walking around looking at bikes talking to each other, we are parket next to Jon and the UFO guys and everyone is friendly, but you can tell there is still a little tension in the air, but nothing to worry about. Cornell did his little drag racing lesson, and it was a pretty decent talk covering the basics, but I think most of those already knew most of it, but it was good anyway. Around 10:30 or 11:00 we were able to make it out to the track and get some runs in. I took the nitrous bottle off my bike just to make sure Morley wasn't spraying and he is off to the staging lanes.

This is Morley's first pass all year long, it is on a bike he had only been on once before (for 30 miles the previous night), and the first time at this track. Anyway he pulls off a GREAT reaction time of 0.0246 but his 1/4mile MPH was VERY SLOW @ 109.8, but was still able to pull off an 11.4689. I'm thinking my bike is messed up, I knew it was down on power a little, but not that much..... I talk to Sean as he is getting in the staging lanes for his second pass and he said he accidentally let off way early... he didn't realize the finish line was past the time display signs.

Each pass is getting better and better and I am feeling much better about the bike, but I am also realizing my racing skills are needing a little work as Sean can get about 3 or 4 tenths of a second faster times than I can. Cornell is posting some very low 11 second times and it is going to be hard for Morley to beat him. It will have to be at the tree.

Morley has 3 passes in, and he and Cornell decided to race. The tensions were high, the smoke from the burnouts was so thick you could cut it with a knife, the smell of racing fuel was in the air.... sorry, I'm not a very good story teller.

Short version First race:
Morley red lights (by a c--t hair), but has a great launch and Cornell chases him down at the big end of the track. Jon had a pretty crappy start, but his bike is running strong.

Second race:
Cornell got the RT and had a great launch... this pass was going to be great for Jon. He came through the traps at 10.65 @ 125.04mph SMOKIN!

There was just no way my bike could keep up with that! Jon's bike was set up well, not sure what all he did to it, but that thing could run! I'm going to try and compare the two bikes and riders so everyone can compare the two:

Seans Bike (well my bike, but it was Sean's for the day)
2002 with 16k miles on it. ($4250)
Kerker exhaust with no baffle, just the comp end cap ($700)
Dyna3000 ingition ($225)
Morley's carb kit, but I didn't have the breather system hooked up like Sean normally has it, so we probably could have gotten a little more out of it. ($200)
Strapped front end w/ forks lowered 1" in the triples ($20)
11.5" progressives in the rear ($150)
Double D clutch ($50)
Pretty much stock everything else with Metzlerrs for tires
Sean probably weighs around 200lbs.... ????

Jon's Bike (actually I think he said it was his wife's)
1985 I don't know about mileage
UFO exhaust
UFO ram air intake/scoops
VGas carbs
Air shifter, though I don't think it worked, so I don't think he used it?
Rear struts
Kosman Wheels (light weight 3 spoke)
M/T ET Drag radial on rear
Slick on the front
One caliper/rotor on the front
Strapped front end
Jon may weigh around 170lbs maybe???

I't would be neat to compare $$ and time put into the bikes... I just put some dollar amounts next to my mods and it looks like I have around $5600 in the whole bike (not including nitrous). The best carb/fuel system will always be a debateable subect, but I did see Sean sell one of his kits, and I'm not sure if Jon sold any? I am happy with Sean's kit and 40mpg

Lessons learned:
Jon's bike is faster than my bike
Sean farts when he eats certain veggies
Ohio is a long freakin way from Wichita
Gas is expensive!
If you are going to have a pissing contest, do it with someone in your area.
The Klokers were great to hang out with!
Things were organized very well and thanks Jon for the placks and food.
Sean is a better racer than I am.

I had the fastest 1/4 mile mph of all the VMaxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I'm the weinner!!!!!!

I'm sure Sean will post some pics, movie files, and all the times when he gets home.

I just thought I would get this posted so we can start talking.

Jeff

Sean farts when he eats certain veggies

Thanks for the write-up! Mind if I use it for the next regional newsletter for the VMOA? I'm still waiting for pictures from Nate's event. :)

Oh, Sean definitely is a stink-ass. You should've been there for Thunder '06. I thought I was in Scottish land with all the bag pipes.

Excellent story Jeff! Thanks for sharing. Sucks to hear about Seans bike though:(
Anyway, sounds like you both had a blast. And to travel that distance to do that kind of thing truly makes you guys hardcore Maxers. Hats off to you both!

We need to get some oics posted.I am not sure what is in our camera.I do know that there is a nice video of Jeff smoking his tire!I down load the camera tonight.I'm also doing a compression test on my max tonight.It seems to be blowing an awefull lot of oil out of the crankcase vent tube.Good thing that I have that 1300 venture engine for a spare.I will swap my ported heads and big cams over to it.Possibly my flywheel,backcut tranny and clutch too.

Hmm that sucks. Eleven second bike wasnt going to win against Cornell.
Power is very good, but reliabilty is even better when it comes to drag racing.

Jeff,

Glad to hear you made it home safe. Thks for your help with my bike....couldn't help but smile all the way home. (even in the Buffalo rain).

Dale #2592

Jeff,

Glad to hear you made it home safe. Thks for your help with my bike....couldn't help but smile all the way home. (even in the Buffalo rain).

Dale #2592

Dale

you have to teach me how to ride in the rain. I run in to rain in st kits on the weekend, and it felt like riding on ice!!!! how do you guys manage the beast in the rain?
for me it wasn't to funny :(
Vitek

We are hoping it was a shredded clutch basket, but a quick removal of the cover and disassembly of the clutch shows a clean/functional clutch.... damn. Morley gets out his flashlight and it peaking in the internals of the engine and notices one of the gears is chewed up something fierce.....missing/ground off teeth.... not good!

Man, that sucks!! Well atleast it wasnt the U-Joints or Driveshaft that failed. I think he busted a u-joint last week on a test ride.

he accidentally let off way early... he didn't realize the finish line was past the time display signs.

Ooops I have done this when I dont see the 2 large white lines across the blacktop.

Second race:
Cornell got the RT and had a great launch... this pass was going to be great for Jon. He came through the traps at 10.65 @ 125.04mph SMOKIN!

125MPH!! 10.65 what is he 60fting with his bike? Any 1/8 mile numbers so I can compare how I run with John?

I am assuming these are STOCK motors including no head porting? Just carb intake work and exhaust.

I had the fastest 1/4 mile mph of all the VMaxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I'm the weinner!!!!!!

Hahhn :ummm: I thought you said John smoked your VMAX? Or you meaning on NOS, what are you running MPH in the 1/4 on NOS? 129-132?

O.k. I guess I'm going to post the numbers from Sean's and Jon's passes:

Sean Morley Jon Cornell
-0.0289 Reaction 0.0987
1.6649 60FT 1.714
4.6295 330FT 4.655
6.6515 ET@594FT 6.6281
7.1069 1/8ET 7.0698
98.82 1/8MPH 101.87
9.282 1000ET 9.1626
11.1379 1/4ET 10.9383
121.35 1/4MPH 125.72

Sean Morley Jon Cornell
0.112 Reaction 0.0792
1.7243 60FT 1.6391
4.721 330FT 4.4469
6.752 ET@594FT 6.3684
7.2116 1/8ET 6.8029
97.91 1/8MPH 103.57
9.404 11000ET 8.8785
11.2865 1/4ET 10.6531
118.77 1/4MPH 125.04

Now these numbers are supposed to be from internally stock engines,
naturally aspirated. I think everything else was fair game. Cornell was claiming his bike had 137HP at the track. I don't know how he got that, but his bike could run.

I am editing this since the numbers didn't stay in colums very well.... hopefully this will work.

Jeff

Jeff,

Dale #2592

It was great meeting you too Dale, and was glad to hear you made it home safely as well. Having Morley's carb kit just helps wake up the bike, doesn't it.

Vitek,
Riding in heavy rain sucks no matter what. On my way to UFO Drag Day I sat at the Peace Bridge for about 45 min. I simply couldn't see it was raining that hard so I had to wait till it let up a bit. You have to slow down and leave lots of room in front because u aren't going to stop to quick that's for sure!
Good rain gear (which I don't have) takes a real load off your mind and allows to concentrate on riding.

Dale #2592

Jeff,
It sure does and I was extremely happy with the mileage I was getting on the way home. I have to send Sean some numbers.
It requires just a tad more tuning as it was stuttering a bit on w.o.t >7000rpm as I was testing it through PA. Then the rain hit again....

Dale #2592

Jeff,
It sure does and I was extremely happy with the mileage I was getting on the way home. I have to send Sean some numbers.
It requires just a tad more tuning as it was stuttering a bit on w.o.t >7000rpm as I was testing it through PA. Then the rain hit again....

Dale #2592

Dale, that's a common occurrence. What main jet do you have in? Shimming needles 1 - 1.25 clips helps too.

Jeff,

Dale #2592

YEP! Mine does that too if I ride slowly through it, but by spacing the needles it's all but gone... I am running stock needles and 157.5 jets.

I wish it hadn't rained you out! I would have liked to see ya'll trade bikes and see what they did...

2500 bucks for his carbs and all you get is that bit of change and POOR MPG?? DAMN!

I'm running Mikuni 157.5 mains, stock needles. Sean shimmed it 1 washer....whatever clip wise that is I don't know. And you're right, it's fine if I roll into it. Got 42 mpg on the way home, mostly cruising, but I really gave her when I came across some dry patches!

Dale #2592

Guys,
I just posted some pics on the Ontario VMOA Yahoo site. Later this afternoon I'll put them here too.....if I can figure out how to do that.

Dale #2592

Latest posts

Back