• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

UK - Mad Max Enterprises Turbocharger -SOLD-

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMantis

Reaction score
This draw-thru turbo kit is an absolutely stunning piece of equipment with classic, old-school engineering. Looking for £2750 but will accept a good offer on it.

Happy to post anywhere at cost, but this item is large and heavy. Can deliver if you're anywhere near Sheffield, UK, or you can collect.

I imported this from Morleys Muscle for a project a couple of years ago but, with the purchase of a 1550cc motor and supercharger, my project is now taking a different direction.

Parts included:
  • Turbocharger
  • S&S Super-B Carb
  • A bag-load of parts for the Super B carb (jets, etc)
  • Aluminium plenum (including wide-bore hose and hose clips to connect to turbo)
  • Complete exhaust system with adjustable wastegate
  • Chrome air-scoops. One side has a section cut out to fit the exhaust
  • Dash-panel including boost gauge & temp gauge
  • Additional boost gauge
  • K&N Air filter for carb intake (It's not ideal, but it'll get you started)
  • Oil manifold modified with elbow connector for crank case breather hose
  • Knee rest to keep you from burning yourself on the exhaust
  • Various bags of fittings, etc - will also supply o-rings for plenum.
...Basically, you get everything you see in the pics - let me know if you have any questions about what is what

Additional information:

Extra high-res photos here: http://imgur.com/a/nvqAr

I've only ever dry fitted this to my VMax while I had the sump off to make an engine saver bracket. The install itself was a piece of cake, the hardest part was removing my existing exhaust system!

The adjustable wastegate, at it's lowest setting will keep boost to a low enough level to be safe for a standard 1200 motor. It's up to you if you crank this up for higher boost levels, but it'd be wise to consider upgrading your engine internals and/or going for a lower compression ratio before pushing it too far!

The exhaust from the turbo now has a bung welded in for AFM sensor (not included) perfect for getting the carb set up in real-world conditions (i.e. if you don't have easy access to a rolling road)

Double-D clutch modification or Barnett clutch would be recommended depending on how much boost you're thinking of using.

The dash panel doesn't look too clever (see pics), it wouldn't take much to smarten it up though.

The plenum contains passages for water-cooling the intake charge, but it's not essential. If you take a look at the video links below, you'll see the previous owner didn't plumb them in

There is a tapped hole in the plate between the carb and the turbo. This is currently safely plugged with a 1/16" NPT (I think) plug. If you're truely insane, you can put a NOS fogger in this hole. The NOS can help by cooling the intake charge to prevent pre-detonation in the cylinders. However, I think the previous owner was going for big numbers! I'll dig out the fogger that came fitted, in case you feel the need...

The plenum also has fittings which allow a take-off for boost gauge and a pressure feed which goes to the waste gate

The modified oil manifold allows you to route any blow off from the crank case breather hose into the exhaust after the turbo (this is how Mad Max intended as any oil should just vapourise). You could alternatively use a longer hose and route the blow-off into a suitable collector or filter (filter included)

My take on what work is required:

Choose a suitable throttle cable for the carb - there's a cable included, but I've not checked whether it's a straight-forward fit.

The carb has been stood for a while, so it might benefit from being cleaned through. I have a manual for this. If you want to go the whole hog, a rebuild kit will set you back about £40. But, by the looks of it, there's not an awful lot to go wrong with them that a good soak in petrol wouldn't fix.

Find/make a suitable hose/adapter to go from the VMax oil gallery at the bottom right side of the engine (large M20 drain plug), to the oil feed on the turbo (1/16 NPT). This connection will need restricting down to 1/16" or around 1mm to prevent flooding the turbo with too much oil. I think I have a few hose connectors which I can throw in to give you a start on this.

Personally, I would also take an additional feed off of this connection to get an oil pressure reading - just for peace of mind, it's not essential.

Alternatively, you can take an oil feed from the banjo bolt on the oil manifold between the cylinders (which is what the previous owner did). I contacted Mad Max and they advised that although this would work, their original kit as they supply it takes the oil feed from the main oil gallery as described above.

Oil drain from turbo should be a hose of around 1/2" (included) and can just be routed back down to a drilled-out oil fill cap. I'll throw in a spare oil filler cap for you to make this for yourself.

A bit of history:
I contacted Mad Max when I first came into posession of this kit and they advised that with a decent amount of engine work, this turbo kit would be "good for a 7-second quarter mile"

Details from the previous install can be found on this site if you look in the Turbos/Blowers subforum. There are even a few vids on YouTube: The sound of the turbo spooling up is superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X62PdtiIww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE6Lmc20zcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yb09DkZ6OU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUFJDN7RRhE

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 03.jpg