Ultimate Gen I.... Chopper... LOL

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen worse.
There is some costly parts on that puppy. It's good to see he kept it level. Not to big on the color of it though.

I was going to get it, but the front brake line and speedo line are too short. Damn.

Actually, it is a near-perfect rendition of what the early 1970's gave us for choppers. Take a stock bike, rake the steering head 'way-out, then throw a spindly set of tubes on it to make sure any lingering vestige of handling was destroyed. The flex of the forks gave more 'suspension' than the hydraulics of the fork did. Add a skinny and tall front wheel/tire (ribbed), the wheel had to be spoked, as that's all there was. Then bolt on a bunch of stuff to reinforce the 'chopper' mystique. Maltese crosses are always good for that. A sissy bar is required, too. Don't forget the custom contrasting-color saddle, the aftermarket exhaust, or one you cobbled-together yourself, the handlebar risers, and attach a greatly-inflated value to it. See? A real 'vintage' chopper!

That's what it reminded me of, them old honda/yamaha twins, or the later 750-4 cyl choppers. Except no coffin tank.

I like that he kept it clean and it's not ratted out like other Vmax choppers I've seen. I think if he would have kept the original side covers and took the emblems off and used one of fatmax's old bobber tank covers, without the scoops, the bike would come together nicely. Especially if he were to take the seat colors, incorporate them in the tank and fender's paint scheme and give the engine back its accents of the "fins" the H and the carb covers.

Them buck-horns that came on the XS11 specials would look pretty sharp too, IMO

Something along the lines of this:

io8y.jpg

Last edited:
My roots run pretty deep in '70's 'chopper-dom,' I love them old extended front end, bobbed off Hindu's, Yams & Trumpets....but there's a right way to extend a front end and there's a wrong way. Unless this guy machined out longer inner tubes (which is unlikely) then he used 'slugs' to kick the front out....short tube sections threaded male on the bottom and female on the top. The joint may be just below the lower clamp but I can't be sure. If it is, one good wheelie could snap that lower section clean off.

Changing the angle of a glide front end is not a good idea as it adds tremendous strain on the inner slides & guides....a girder or springer would have been a much better idea on this bike.

I hate to tear it all apart cause basically I like it, the lines are nice, there's some nice work done, but that front end scares the hell outta me!! :th_scared:

I never had a chopper bike before, But the vmax in picture looks cool to me.

My bike back then was 1977 kz1000 wish I still have.

I don't think he went with two sets of forks with slugs tying them together.
That front end and the raked triple look like it came from this kit and he went with the 14 degree rake, then picked out his longer tubes.

A much better set up for sure....I forgot, everything is available in a kit now....we used to have to cobble it all together on our own.

I like those kits, they look well made. :punk:

lol, I remember as a kid taking a hacksaw to the forks on a beat up donor bicycle and then hammering them on to my forks on my rider. Gave it a nice little stretch, how I didn't kill myself on that amazes me.

The Pingle kit has to be fairly new. I received prototype pics of that kit in March and the bike was visibly different then the one on ebay.

lol, I remember as a kid taking a hacksaw to the forks on a beat up donor bicycle and then hammering them on to my forks on my rider. Gave it a nice little stretch, how I didn't kill myself on that amazes me.

I had an old Triumph Trophy with 8 or 10" slugs, rigid struts instead of shocks (cause I couldn't afford a REAL hardtail)....rode that damn thing for years! No wonder my back is a mess! :rofl_200:

'Cause you weren't doing 135 on it. LOL

I have thought more than a few times about a pro style chop , sitting low with hydraulics for show and raising up for go. Got a couple donors to tempt me from time to time , but haven't committed to it .......... yet. :punk:

That's what it reminded me of, them old honda/yamaha twins, or the later 750-4 cyl choppers. Except no coffin tank.

I like that he kept it clean and it's not ratted out like other Vmax choppers I've seen. I think if he would have kept the original side covers and took the emblems off and used one of fatmax's old bobber tank covers, without the scoops, the bike would come together nicely. Especially if he were to take the seat colors, incorporate them in the tank and fender's paint scheme and give the engine back its accents of the "fins" the H and the carb covers.

Them buck-horns that came on the XS11 specials would look pretty sharp too, IMO

Something along the lines of this:

io8y.jpg

This rendition does look better. I think an 1100 Magna might be more fitting though for such treatment. If I ever did this idea with a Max, I think it could be better pulled off with a 2nd Gen bike. The 1st gen Max just looks too much like a muscle standard in my opinion to to waste.

Then again, that's just my own personal opinion.

Latest posts

Back