Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several I use depending on what you want to clean and what the material is.

For general light cleaning of motorcycle fasteners and parts, I use bulk WD-40. Picked up a few gallons from a place closing down. I have one gallon that gets reused after the sludge settles and the WD-40 gets decanted back into the metal gallon can. Just be careful not to allow the ultrasonic machine to heat up the solution.

For some items I use Krud Kutter from Home Depot (I believe it contains tri-sodium phosphate). Works great on pitch and tar covered saw blades.

For oil and grease, there is a solution I picked up at Tractor Supply called Oil Eater. Works well for oil soaked stuff and greasy gobs.

For stubborn gunk, Harbor Freight has a high pH powder that I've used, but can't be used with aluminum.

For everyday items like knife parts, jewelry, fountain pen parts, or metal wristwatch bands, Palmolive detergent or Dawn dish soap works for me.

Simple Green is another cheap cleaner, but I haven't tried that yet. It will take off paint.

Yes that's all good, I should have been more specific an asked for a vmax carb. Also have small drill bits and guitar strings for the big stuff.
Gunk Carb cleaner in the ultrasonic, and of course wear your PPE.
I drain, thoroughly rinse everything when done and box the unit back up like new. Whistle clean carbs when done.
20210924_232731.jpg20210925_112403.jpg

There are several I use depending on what you want to clean and what the material is.

For general light cleaning of motorcycle fasteners and parts, I use bulk WD-40. Picked up a few gallons from a place closing down. I have one gallon that gets reused after the sludge settles and the WD-40 gets decanted back into the metal gallon can. Just be careful not to allow the ultrasonic machine to heat up the solution.

For some items I use Krud Kutter from Home Depot (I believe it contains tri-sodium phosphate). Works great on pitch and tar covered saw blades.

For oil and grease, there is a solution I picked up at Tractor Supply called Oil Eater. Works well for oil soaked stuff and greasy gobs.

For stubborn gunk, Harbor Freight has a high pH powder that I've used, but can't be used with aluminum.

For everyday items like knife parts, jewelry, fountain pen parts, or metal wristwatch bands, Palmolive detergent or Dawn dish soap works for me.

Simple Green is another cheap cleaner, but I haven't tried that yet. It will take off paint.
Great Info

I generally soak carb parts in carb cleaner then rinse them off with water then into the ultrasonic with a 10-20% solution of simple green and water, then another rinse in clean water. Blow them out then check all passageways with aerosol carb spray. The simple green does tend to make the zinc body carbs a little duller in finish on the outside.

Latest posts

Back