Uneven brake pad wear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed this?

My inboard pads, the ones closest to the wheel on all three calipers always wears out sooner than the outboard one. Not a by a lot and I definitely don't have a sticking cup. It's more like the caliper design doesn't send equal pressure to both sides of the caliper which I'm pretty sure isn't really the case either.

Does anyones bike do this?

And would I be a cheap bastard if I bought these pads by the set and only replaced the most worn out one when doing pads?

I've noticed that type of wear with all brake calipers that I have worked with. I guess it is the design of the caliper that makes it wear that way?:confused2: Personally I wouldn't replace just the one pad, but I don't know if there would be any bad consequences doing that.

Mine have also worn the same way, not sure - inside or outside - was worn more. Must be a pressure difference or something I'm guessing. I figure more pressure relates to more wear....

I can't see just replacing one would be a problem, as long as you don't have huge grooves in the rotor. I can't imagine it would be a problem. But why not just replace both, it just makes more sense. My 2cents....

Mine have also worn the same way, not sure - inside or outside - was worn more. Must be a pressure difference or something I'm guessing. I figure more pressure relates to more wear....

I can't see just replacing one would be a problem, as long as you don't have huge grooves in the rotor. I can't imagine it would be a problem. But why not just replace both, it just makes more sense. My 2cents....

I agree, I'm just a real penney pincher as long as I can rationalize it.

Example, my wife uses Mach 3 turbo razors on her legs and says they go dull after one use and she can't use them any more.

I get about 5-6 more uses out of them shaving my face and head.:eusa_dance:

I use the old motor oil out of my truck in my lawnmower:ummm:

I drink the cheapest beer I can buy unless I'm "with company":cheers:

On the other hand I just spent over $2G on the max last month cause I "wanted it"..:rocket bike: my wife loves me, or she's trying to lull me into a false sense of security, I'm not sure which:whistlin:

That's funny about the razor thing. BTW I was thinking as long as they are the same brand make it should be ok to replace one. If you had two different makes of pad you may get a faster rate of wear due to the hardness compounds. One containing more carbon.

:punk:I came up with the idea that every third pad change I could use the outside pads from the previous two changes. Mind it you would not get long of use out of them but would work for awhile.

Or just dont ride as fast,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ya right ha.:th_biggun:

my insides are always way more than the outside. not too bad on fronts, but the rear is wicked.

Isn't this caused by more hydraulic pressure on one side than the other.....and isn't it pretty normal? :confused2:

i just assumed, yea. basically thats the side the fluid is pressed in from the master cylinder (at least on the rear brake)

makes sense to me that the fluid finds it easier to press the closer piston, as the fluid is already "full" on the other side.

I don't know. Kind of weird if u think about it tho. I mean, imagine a brake rotor clamped in a vise. When you turn the handle on the vice, only one side moves but do you think that the side that moves is applying more pressure to the rotor than the static side? I would think they are equal. Basically a caliper is doing the same thing. I don't understand why they wear uneven:ummm:

Should be even wear since pressure evens out and applies force equally. Likely you have a piston sticking a little which is not uncommon.

Sean

Should be even wear since pressure evens out and applies force equally. Likely you have a piston sticking a little which is not uncommon.

Sean

makes sense, but my brakes work great, and both my max's did the same thing. possible the rear is more prone to this?

Sean, Would you recommend new o-rings and side wall stoneing periodically, just to keep everything moving smoothly?

i would imagine he would, but pads are cheaper and easier! haha.

def wear on my outside pad, so it is applying force, just not nearly as much.

When the pads are replaced many people just squeeze the caliper back into place. This pushes the gunk/crap that built up on the exposed piston back in behind the seals. Now the caliper can't work as smoothly.

When we get a brake that is working poorly or really un-even we take it apart and clean it all up. Usually the seals can be re-used. I polish the piston and clean the bore of the caliper with scotch brite or very fine sandpaper.

Sean

When we get a brake that is working poorly or really un-even we take it apart and clean it all up. Usually the seals can be re-used. I polish the piston and clean the bore of the caliper with scotch brite or very fine sandpaper.

Sean

I have a question about this: do you need a special tool to reinsert the piston after it's been taken out?

What I usually do is, once the pads are out, I pump the brake a couple of times to expose more of the piston's surface, then clean it up as best I can before pressing it back in. I know it's not as good as dismantling it all the way, but I've had trouble trying to put pistons back into calipers so I'm a little wary now..

No tool, it's all about putting it in straight. Not too easy sometimes.

Sean

Latest posts

Back