Uneven Brake Pad Wear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
This weekend I changed my front brake pads and notice something odd. My brakes are stock and when I removed the pads from both calipers one pad was petty much wore all the way down and the other pad still had lots of pad on it. The bike was stopping well before the change. What is this indicative of ? Is it time to rebuild the calibers ? BTW the instructions posted here are changing that pads out was very helpful.

Doug

Only thing I could think of off the bat is,, maybe the piston on the non-worn pad is stuck, Making the other side do twice the work.

It could be the opposite. The sticking piston could be the one in which the pad is nearly worn out. If the piston is sticking, it will most likely stick OUT after having the lever has applied the pressure on it.

Easy peasy to pull off the caliper, disassemble the whole thing and go through it. That way you know both sides are in spec when you put it back together and bleed the system. In most cases, you can reuse all the rubber components. If you have any with cracks in them, Sean Morley carries most of these parts at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the info. It's just strange that both calipers had the same issue. I'm going to monitor them over the next few month and see what happens. May be time for new SS lines and a rebuild (gotta keep the monkey happy :eusa_dance:)

Both calipers in the front, has the same issues on the same side?

Thanks for the info. It's just strange that both calipers had the same issue. I'm going to monitor them over the next few month and see what happens. May be time for new SS lines and a rebuild (gotta keep the monkey happy :eusa_dance:)

I guess I don't follow the logic here. By your own admission, something is hanging and causing uneven pad wear. Yet you are going to put new pads in and "monitor them over the next few month and see what happens"? I'd say what'd happen is more uneven pad wear since I've seldom read where our brake systems have ever fixed themselves. :ummm:

More often than not, if you have a sticking piston situation, it will get worse, even to the point of stranding you someplace when it won't back off even a little. You may find yourself several miles from home when that happens. If you are OK with that, then it's your bike and I'd say "good luck" with it. If it were mine, I'd go spend a couple dollars on a fresh bottle of brake fluid and get the calipers off for an easy cleanout & inspection.

To me, good brakes are cheap insurance.

I understand your point concerning the brakes and you are correct, I'll start planning on rebuilding them. Off hand I don't remember if the same side was effect on both calibers but I'll check. If the pistons were sticking I'd think I would notice that. When I use the brake stopping seems good and when I let go of the brake she rolls fine.

Check and see if the sliders are stuck... from my experience as a car mechanic years ago sometimes if the sliders are stuck u wont get even pressure on the outside pad making the piston pad do all the work. Piston may be fine and if the sliders are stuck it will only wear on the piston side of the caliper because the piston will push the pad into the rotor but because the sliders are stuck the outside pad wont get any pressure on it.
If you had a sticking piston you would smell it as you ride and get extreme brake fade

I understand your point concerning the brakes and you are correct, I'll start planning on rebuilding them. Off hand I don't remember if the same side was effect on both calibers but I'll check. If the pistons were sticking I'd think I would notice that. When I use the brake stopping seems good and when I let go of the brake she rolls fine.

Amen to what Mr. Eagins said, and one other quick check you can do -
Make sure you have the correct free play at the front brake lever , which is accomplished by turning the adjuster bolt in (decreases free play) or out (increases), after loosening the locknut. You have to jack up the front of your bike to do this - the wheel has to be able to spin freely. Because it "rolls fine" does not necessarily mean that your brakes aren't sticking.
When properly adjusted , there should be 2-5 mm of free play at the lever end.
I mention this because of an incident I experienced with dragging front brakes (caused by the above mis-adjustment) a few years ago, which nearly cost me my life.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back