uneven exhaust note.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxinID

Reaction score
unsimilar exhaust note.

HMF 2D9S 4-2 full system, 1999 Vmax

My exhaust's dont sound the same.

The left has a rymthic pfffffftt sound to it during deceleration, and and a bit of a puh puh sound during acceleration.

I recently RTV'd the two exhaust gaskets F&R, the juncture of the two pipes, and the other 2 clamp spots, on the weird sounding side.

The right side sounds great. Perfect rumble.

There seems to be slightly less pressure coming out the left side can.

WTF?????

Hi V,
Just a guess here but how about a carb sync( easy and free) or a valve adjustment???
Good luck.
Then again, I think the Max does have a bit of a lumpy idle.
Lew

My left sounds different too....but got used to it. Even stock exhaust my right side seemed "stronger" than the left.

Mark

Thanks Mark, that makes me relax a bit

I Don't ride with any other Vmaxes (none to be found)
so I didn't know for sure if it had identical tone L & R.

P.S. Lew: the sync is dead on. I spaz out and do it like twice a month.

I'm running UFO pipes, the right exhaust is the right front and left rear cylinders combined together.

The right can has a very strong but not entirely rythmic pop-pop-pop at idle. The left can has what I would call "normal" exhaust pulses.

It's been this way since I put the exhaust on and runs great, compression, valve adjustment and carb synch are all ok so I geuss it's normal???...

Rusty

Mine does that too out of the right pipe.Something to do with the firing order.One of the cylinders fires on the next revolution by itself instead of all 4 on one rev.

Glad I read this thread. After installing the HMF exhaust on my 05 I noticed that the exhaust note was different between the left and right cans, I was ready to take it back to my tuner thinking something was wrong.

-Allen

Re: unsimilar exhaust note.

HMF 2D9S 4-2 full system, 1999 Vmax

The left has a rymthic pfffffftt sound to it during deceleration, and and a bit of a puh puh sound during acceleration.

The right side sounds great. Perfect rumble.

There seems to be slightly less pressure coming out the left side can.

WTF?????

Yo Maxed did it sound like what I described?

Re: unsimilar exhaust note.

I think it's normal because mine does it as well. Funny thing is, I can only hear it with my helmet on.

Hey so it sounds like the carb tuning(sync) isn't that hard. Or everyone is just that much more mechanically inclined than I am:ummm: I was just quoted 75 bucks to have my local shop do it, but if I could do it myself that would be all the better. Oh just so this makes sense in this thread, and it was my origional reason for coming to the exhaust forum, I like the Holeshot, and Marks exhaust, but don't want to have to make my bike unstable or unreliable by doing a bunch of tuning. Am I up in the night?:confused2: and do I have to tune differently with marks exhaust and the holeshot? Thanks!

Hey VikingD,

If I read your posts right your bike is in Ogden?

Well, I'm in Pocatello and have a Morgan carb sync you can use for FREE!!!

If you can get your bike 1/2 way to Pocatello I'll help out whoever, and we can sync away!!!

Hey so it sounds like the carb tuning(sync) isn't that hard. Or everyone is just that much more mechanically inclined than I am:ummm: I was just quoted 75 bucks to have my local shop do it, but if I could do it myself that would be all the better. Oh just so this makes sense in this thread, and it was my origional reason for coming to the exhaust forum, I like the Holeshot, and Marks exhaust, but don't want to have to make my bike unstable or unreliable by doing a bunch of tuning. Am I up in the night?:confused2: and do I have to tune differently with marks exhaust and the holeshot? Thanks!

I have the Holeshot and have zero issues with reliability... I did use Dales jet kit but have heard it isn't needed... Mine runs like a top and Dale is awesome to deal with.

I tried getting a hold of Mark several times via email and phone and NEVER got a call or message back. Dale was a whiz bang home run!:thumbs up:

Back